Background. Secondary hyperparathyroidism (sHPT) is frequently encountered in patients on hemodialysis (HD) for end stage renal disease (ESRD). In spite of improved medical therapy, parathyroidectomy is still frequentely indicated for patients with medically refractory secondary and tertiary hyperparathyroidism. The aim of this study is to analyse the impact of parathyroidectomy, regardless of the surgical procedure, on perioperative and follow-up clinical symptoms and biochemistry tests. Material and method. We studied 29 patients who underwent parathyroidectomy for sHPT due to ESRD, at the Second Department of Surgery, Emergency Mures County Hospital, between February 2010 and May 2013. Outcome parameters included symptoms relieving (bone pains, pruritus, etc) and laboratory data (intact parathyroid hormone (iPth), total calcium and phosphorus, serum alkaline phosphatase (AlkPhos), hematocrit and hemoglobin), assesed before, shortly after and then at short-medium term follow-up. Results. The majority of our patients had significant improvement of the symptoms during the follow-up period. The iPTH values considerably decreased after the operation. The postoperative calcemia mean value decreased and we have identified statistically significant differences between the monthly calcemia average values (p-0.008). The mean phosphorus level in the first 2 postoperative months decreased significantly (p-0.001) and we recorded statistically significant decreases (p-0.0007) in AlkPhos level after the operation. Both hematocit and hemoglobin levels experienced a statistical significant growth in the follow-up period. Persistent HPT was encountered in two patients (6.89%), and we had 8 patients who developed mild hypocalcaemia in the first month after the operation (“hungry bones” syndrome). We had few minor and transient postoperative complications and we did not encountered postoperative mortality in our series. Conclusions. Parathyroidectomy, regardless of the technical procedure, is feasible, safe and effective for patients with refractory secondary and tertiary hyperparathyroidism.
1. Pitt SC, Sippel RS, Chen H. Secondary and tertiary hyperparathyroidism, state of the art surgical management. Surg Clin North Am. 2009;89(5):1227-39. DOI: 10.1016/j.suc.2009.06.011
2. Cozzolino M, Ketteler M, Martin KJ, Sharma A, Goldsmith D, Khan S. Paricalcitol- or cinacalcet-centred therapy affects markers of bone mineral disease in patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism receiving haemodialysis: results of the IMPACT-SHPT study. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2014;29(4):899-905. DOI: 10.1093/ndt/gfu011
3. Elder GJ. Parathyroidectomy in the calcimimetic era. Nephrology (Carlton). 2005;10(5):511-5. DOI: 10.1111/j.1440-1797.2005.00476.x
4. Cohen EP, Moulder JE. Parathyroidectomy in chronic renal failure: has medical care reduce the need for surgery? Nephron. 2001;89(3):271-4. DOI: 10.1159/000046084
5. Mircescu G, Stanescu B. Surgical or medical therapy for severe hyperparathyroidism of chronic kidney disease? An appraisal of current practice guidelines Acta Endo (Buc). 2010;6(4):541-6.
6. Jamal SA, Paul D. Miller PD. Secondary and Tertiary Hyperparathyroidism . J Clin Densitom. 2013;16(1):64-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.jocd.2012.11.012
7. Neagoe RM, Sala DT, Roman V, Voidazan S, Pascanu I. Subtotal parathyroidectomy in the treatment of renal hyperparathyroidism - single center initial experience. Acta Endo(Buc). 2013;9(3):385-95.
8. Cheng SP, Lee JJ, Liu TP, Yang TL, Chen HH, Wu CJ, et al. Parathyroidectomy improves symptomatology and quality of life in patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism. Surgery. 2014;155(2):320-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.surg.2013.08.013
9. Sharma J, Raggi P, Kutner N, Bailey J, Zhang R, Huang Y, et al. Improved long-term survival of dial ysis patients after near-total parathyroidectomy. J Am Coll Surg. 2012;214(4):400-7; discussion 407-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2011.12.046
10. ERA-EDTA Registry. ERA-EDTA Registry Annual Report 2007. Academic Medical Center, Department of Medical Informatics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2009.
11. Covic A, Schiller A. Burden of disease - prevalence and incidence of ESRD in selected European regions and populations. Clin Nephrol. 2010 Nov;74 Suppl 1:S23-27.
12. Tominaga Y, Matsuoka S, Uno N, Sato T. Parathyroidectomy for secondary hyperparathyroidism in the era of calcimimetics. Ther Apher Dial. 2008;12 Suppl 1:S21-6. DOI: 10.1111/j.1744-9987.2008.00627.x
13. Diaconescu MR, Costea I, Terinte R, Diaconescu S, Covic M, Zbranca E. Secondary hyperparathyroidism. Chirurgia (Bucur). 1995;44(1):27-34.
14. Diaconescu MR, Glod M, Costea I, Grigorovici M, Covic A. Total parathyroidectomy with forearm graft in tertiary hyperparathyroidism. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2003;98(4):341-6.
15. Diaconescu MR, Glod M, Costea I, Grigorovici M, Diaconescu S. Total parathyroidectomy without autotransplantation in the management of „refractory” renal hyperparathyroidism. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2011;115(1):105-10.
16. Diaconescu MR, Glod M, Costea I, Grigorovici M, Covic A, Diaconescu S. Surgical management of renal hyperparathyroidism: a preliminary series report. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2011;106(1):51-57.
17. Corneci M, Stanescu B, Trifanescu R, Neacsu E, Corneci D, Poiana C, et al. Perioperative management difficulties in parathyroidectomy for primary versus secondary and tertiary hyperparathyroidism. Maedica (Buchar). 2012;7(2):117-24.
18. Shih ML, Duh QY, Hsieh CB, Lin SH, Wu HS, Chu PL,et al. Total parathyroidectomy without autotransplantation for secondary hyperparathyroidism. World J Surg. 2009;33:248-54. DOI: 10.1007/s00268-008-9765-8
19. Neyer U, Horandner H. Parathyroidectomy in renal hyperparathyroidism CIN 2003. Available at http://www.uninet.edu/cin2003/conf/neyer/neyer.html
21. Ogg CS. Total parathyroidectomy in treatment of secondary (renal) hyperparathyroidism Br Med J. 1967 Nov 11;4(5575):331-34. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.4.5575.331
22. Wells J, Samuel A, Stirman JA. Parathyroid transplantation. World J Surg. 1977;1(6):747-57. DOI: 10.1007/ BF01555931
23. Vijayakumar V, Anderson ME. Detection of ectopic parathyroid adenoma by early Tc-99m sestamibi imaging. Ann Nucl Med. 2005;19:157-9. DOI: 10.1007/ BF03027396
24. Braisser AR, Nussbaum SR Hungry bone syndrome: Clinical and biochemical predictors of its occurrence. Am J Medicine. 1988; 84(4):654-60. DOI: 10.1016/0002-9343(88)90100-3
25. Moore C, Lampe H, Agrawal S. Predictability of hypocalcemia using early postoperative serum calcium levels. J Otolaryngol. 2001; 30:266-70. DOI: 10.2310/7070.2001.19512
26. Viaene L, Evenepoel P, Bammens B, Claes K, Kuypers D, Vanrenterghem Y. Calcium requirements after parathyroidectomy in patients with refractory secondary hyperparathyroidism. Nephron Clin Pract. 2008;110(2):c80-5. DOI: 10.1159/000151722
27. Farese S. The hungry bones syndrome-an update Ther Umsch. 2007, May;64(5):227-280.
28. Conzo G, Perna A, Della Pietra C, Esposito D, Nunziata A, Palazzo A, et al. Role of parathyroidectomy on anemia control and erythropoiesis-stimulating agent need in secondary hyperparathyroidism of chronic kidney disease. A retrospective study in 30 hemodialysis patients. Ann Ital Chir. 2013 Jan-Feb;84(1):25-31.
29. Vos FE, Schollum JB, Coulter CV, Doyle TC, Duffull SB, Walker RJ. Red blood cell survival in long-term dialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis. 2011 Oct;58(4):591-8. DOI: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2011.03.031
30. Sharma SP, Siu K. Pancytopenia in secondary hyperparathyroidism due to end-stage renal disease. Am J Med. 2013;126(12):e11-2. DOI: 10.1016/j.amjmed. 2013.06.028
31. Trunzo JA, McHenry CR, Schulak JA, Wilhelm SM. Effect of parathyroidectomy on anemia and erythropoietin dosing in end-stage renal disease patients with hyperparathyroidism. Surgery. 2008;144(6):915-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.surg.2008.07.026
32. Chow TL, Chan TT, Ho YW, Lam SH. Improvement of anemia after parathyroidectomy in Chinese patients with renal failure undergoing long-term dialysis. Arch Surg. 2007;142(7):644-8. DOI: 10.1001/archsurg. 142.7.644
33. Jemcov TK, Petakov M, Bogdanovic A, Djukanovic L, Lezaic VD. Parathyroidectomy and improving anemia. Arch Surg. 2008;143(1):97-8. DOI: 10.1001/archsurg. 2007.26
34. Gasparri G, Camadona M, Abbona GC, Papotti M, Jeantet A, Radice E, et al. Secondary and tertiary hyperparathyroidism: causes of recurrent disease after 446 parathyroidectomies. Ann Surg. 2001;233(1):65-9. DOI: 10.1097/00000658-200101000-00011
35. Puccini M, Carpi A, Cupisti A, Caprioli R, Iacconi P, Barsotti M, et al. Total parathyroidectomy without autotransplantation for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism associated with chronic kidney disease: clinical and laboratory long-term follow-up. Biomed Pharmacother. 2010;64(5):359-62. DOI: 10.1016/j.biopha. 2009.06.006
36. Lin SY, Lin WM, Lin CL, Yang TY, Sung FC, Wang YH, et al. The relationship between secondary hyperparathyroidism and thyroid cancer in end stage renal disease: a population based cohort study. Eur J Intern Med. 2014;25(3):276-80. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejim.2014.01.001
37. Sala D, Neagoe R, Gliga M, Ballasz J, Hossu I, Borda A, et al. Synchronous papillary thyroid carcinoma and secondary hyperparathyroidism-case report. Jurnalul de Chirurgie, Iaşi. 2011;7(4):680-3.