Patients with acute leukemia develop abnormalities of haemostasis, leading not only to bleeding, but also to thrombotic complications. The pathogenesis of these complications is complex and multifactorial. Because platelets and platelet derived microparticles are key players in haemostasis and thrombosis, we presumed their roles in the prediction of bleeding and thrombotic complications. Our study groups included 24 patients with acute leukemia and 16 healthy volunteers. Platelet aggregation evaluation was performed by impedance whole blood aggregometry and the ennumeration of platelet derived microparticles was done by means of flow cytometry. Eight patints developed hemorrhagic complications associated with reduced platelet aggregation response at hospital admission. Major thrombotic events occurred in 5 patients, being preceded by increased platelet aggregation in 3 cases and high level of platelet derived microparticles in 2 cases. Our findings reveal that whole blood platelet aggregometry could be a valuable tool especially in the detection of platelet hyperreactivity and in the prediction of thrombotic events. A high level of platelet derived microparticles could also predict thrombosis. These hypotheses need further evaluation and confirmation on larger number of patients.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Rassi F El, Arellano M. Update on optimal management of acute myeloid leukemia. Clin Med Insights Oncol. 2013 Aug 12;7:181-97. DOI: 10.4137/CMO.S8528
2. Mohren M, Markmann I, Jentsch-Ullrich K, Koenigsmann M, Lutze G, Franke A. Increased risk of venous thromboembolism in patients with acute leukaemia. Br J Cancer. 2006 January 30;94(2):200-2. DOI: 10.1038/ sj.bjc.6602945
3. De Stefano V, Sora F, Rossi E, Chiusolo P, Laurenti L, Fianchi L, et al. The risk of thrombosis in patients with acute leukemia: occurrence of thrombosis at diagnosis and during treatment. J Thromb Haemost. 2005 Sep;3(9):1985-92. DOI: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2005.01467.x
4. Falanga A, Marchetti M, Russo L. Venous thromboembolism in the hematologic malignancies. Curr Opin Oncol. 2012 Nov;24(6):702-10. DOI: 10.1097/ CCO.0b013e3283592331
5. Franchini M, Frattini F, Crestani S, Bonfanti C. Bleeding complications in patients with hematologic malignancies. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2013 Feb;39(1):94-100. DOI: 10.1055/s-0032-1331154
6. Ku GH, White RH, Chew HK, Harvey DJ, Zhou H, Wun T. Venous thromboembolism in patients with acute leukemia: incidence, risk factors, and effect on survival. Blood. 2009 113(17):3911-17. DOI: 10.1182/ blood-2008-08-175745
7. Qian X, Wen-Jun L. Platelet Changes in Acute Leukemia. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2013 Dec;67(3):1473-9. DOI: 10.1007/s12013-013-9648-y
8. Stein E, McMahon B, Kwaan H, Altman JK, Frankfurt O, Tallman MS. The coagulopathy of acute promyelocytic leukaemia revisited. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2009 Mar;22(1):153-63. DOI: 10.1016/j. beha.2008.12.007
9. Jennings LK. Mechanisms of platelet activation: need for new strategies to protect against platelet-mediated atherothrombosis. Thromb Haemost. 2009 Aug;102(2):248-57. DOI: 10.1160/TH09-03-0192
10. Foss B, Bruserud O. Platelet functions and clinical effects in acute myelogenous leukemia. Thromb Haemost. 2008 Jan;99(1):27-37. DOI: 10.1160/TH07-04-0240
11. Cooke NM, Egan K, McFadden S, Grogan L, Breathnach OS, O’Leary J, et al. Increased platelet reactivity in patients with late-stage metastatic cancer. Cancer Med. 2013 August;2(4):564-70. DOI: 10.1002/ cam4.86
12. Costache A, Avram SI, Cernucan A, Barbu D, Angelescu S, Mut Popescu D, et al. What about microparticles? Perspectives and practical aspects. Rev Romana Med Lab. 2013;21(1):9-15. DOI: 10.2478/rrlm-2013-0013
13. Auwerda JJ, Yuana Y, Osanto S, de Maat MP, Sonneveld P, Bertina RM, et al. Microparticle-associated tissue factor activity and venous thrombosis in multiple myeloma. Thromb Haemost. 2011 Jan;105(1):14-20. DOI: 10.1160/TH10-03-0187
14. Lacroix R, Dubois C, Leroyer AS, Sabatier F, Dignat- George F. Revisited role of microparticles in arterial and venous thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost. 2013Jun;11(Suppl 1):24-35. DOI: 10.1111/jth.12268
15. Bucciarelli P, Martinelli I, Artoni A, Passamonti SM, Previtali E, Merati G et al. Circulating microparticles and risk of venous thromboembolism. Thromb Res. 2012 May;129(5):591-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.thromres.2011.08.020
16. Campello E, Spiezia L, Radu CM, Bulato C, Castelli M, Gavasso S et al. Endothelial, platelet, and tissue factor-bearing microparticles in cancer patients with and without venous thromboembolism. Thromb Res. 2011 May;127(5):473-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.thromres.2011.01.002
18. Tan X, Shi J, Fu Y, Gao C, Yang X, Li J et al. Role of erythrocytes and platelets in the hypercoagulable status in polycythemia vera through phosphatidylserine exposure and microparticle generation. Thromb Haemst. 2013 Jun;109(6):1025-32. DOI: 10.1160/TH12-11-0811
19. Siljander PR. Platelet-derived microparticles - an updated perspective. Thromb Res. 2011 Jan;127(Suppl 2):S30-3. DOI: 10.1016/S0049-3848(10)70152-3
20. Kwaan HC. Double hazard of thrombophilia and bleeding in leukemia. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2007:151-7. DOI: 10.1182/asheducation-2007.1.151
21. Webert K, Cook RJ, Sigouin CS, Rebulla P, Heddle NM. The risk of bleeding in thrombocytopenic patients with acute myeloid leukemia. Haematologica. 2006Nov;91(11):1530-7.
22. Slichter SJ. Relationship between platelet count and bleeding risk in thrombocytopenic patients. Transfus Med Rev. 2004 Jul;18(3):153-67. DOI: 10.1016/j. tmrv.2004.03.003
23. Psaila B, Bussel JB, Frelinger AL, Michelson AD. Differences in platelet function in patients with acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplasia compared to equally thrombocytopenic patients with immune thrombocytopenia.J Thromb Haemost. 2011 Nov;9(11):2302-10.DOI: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2011.04506.x
24. Robier C, Neubauer M, Sternad H, Quehenberger F, Rainer F, Neumeister P. Evaluation of platelet function and pharmacological platelet inhibition in patients with myeloproliferative disorders using multiple electrode aggregometry. Thromb Res. 2010 Sep;126(3):232-7.DOI: 10.1016/j.thromres.2010.06.014
25. Falanga A, Rickles FR. Management of thrombohemorrhagic syndromes (THS) in hematologic malignancies.Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2007:165-71. DOI: 10.1182/asheducation-2007.1.165
26. Nadir Y, Katz T, Sarig G, Hoffman R, Oliven A, Rowe JM, et al. Hemostatic balance on the surface of leukemic cells: the role of tissue factor and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor. Haematologica. 2005Nov;90(11):1549-56.
27. Crespo-Solis E. Thrombosis and acute leukemia. Hematology. 2012 Apr;17(Suppl 1):S169-73. DOI: 10.117 9/102453312X13336169156852