Adenylat kinase is an ubiquitous enzyme found in prokaryotes and eukaryotes. In the present study we examined the inhibition of Streptococcus pneumoniae adenylate kinase (AKSP) by six 5-arylidene-thiazolidin-4- on-2-thione derivates using 2, 4-dinitrophenylhydrazine colorimetric assay. Inhibition of AKSP activity with synthetic compounds was performed against recombinant enzyme over-expressed in E. coli. The compound C10H6BrNOS2 with the bromine atom in -ortho position has shown the most efficient inhibitory activity; I50 value (the inhibitor concentration that leads to 50% activity inhibition) was 0.067mM.
1. Oakhill JS, Scott JW, Kemp BE. AMPK functions as an adenylate charge-regulated protein kinase. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 23(3):125-32
2. Daily MD, Phillips GN Jr, Cui Q. Interconversion of functional motions between mesophilic and thermophilic adenylate kinases. PLoS Comput Biol. 2011; 7(7):e1002103. Epub 2011 Jul 14
3. Lehmann-Munier H, Chenal-Francisque V, Ionescu M, Christova P, Foulon J, Carniel E, et al. Relationship between bacterial virulence and nucleotide metabolism: a mutation in the adenylate kinase gene renders Yersinia pestis avirulent. Biochem J. 2003; 373(2): 515-22
4. Saint-Girons I, Gilles AM, Margarita D, Michelson S, Monnot M, Fermandjian S, et al. Structural and catalytic 98 characteristics of Escherichia coli adenylate kinase. J. Biol. Chem. 1987; 262(2): 622-9
5. Tuck KL, Saldanha SA, Birch LM, Smith AG, Abell C. The design and synthesis of inhibitors of pantothenate synthetase. Org Biomol Chem. 2006; 4(19):3598-610
6. Buchko GW, Robinson H, Abendroth J, Staker BL, Myler PJ. Structural characterization of Burkholderia pseudomallei adenylate kinase (Adk): profound asymmetry in the crystal structure of the 'open' state. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010; 394(4):1012-7
7. Altschul SF, Madden TL, Schaffer AA, Zhang J, Zhang Z, Miller W, et al. Gapped BLAST and PSIBLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Res. 1997; 25(17): 3389-402
8. Thompson JD, Higgins DG, Gibson TJ. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, positionspecific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 1994; 22: 4673-80
9. Crowe J, Dobeli H, Gentz R, Hochuli E, Stuber D, Henco K. 6xHis-Ni-NTA chromatography as a superior technique in recombinant protein expression/purification. Methods Mol. Biol. 1994; 31:371-87
10. Bradford MM. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem. 1976; 72: 248-54
11. Laemmli UK Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 1970; 227(5259): 680-685
12. Oniga O, Moldovan C, Muntean A, Verite P, Ionescu M, Tiperciuc B. Synthesis and antibacterial activity of some 5-aryliden-2-thioxo-thiazolydin-4-one. Revista de Medicina si Farmacie 2004; 50, Supl.II: 183-186
13. Ionescu M, Radulescu AZ, Moldovan C, Banciu HL, Ghiran D. Inhibition of E.coli adenylate kinase by some 5- aryliden-2-thioxo-thiazolydin-4-one derivatives. Clujul Medical 2005; 3:638-41.
14. Grochowski LL, Censky K, Xu H, White RH. A new class of adenylate kinase in methanogens is related to uridylate kinase. Arch Microbiol. 2012;194(2):141-5. Epub 2011 Oct 15.
15. Bae E, Phillips GN Jr. Structures and analysis of highly homologous psychrophilic, mesophilic, and thermophilic adenylate kinases. J.Biol Chem. 2004; 279(27):28202-8
16. Vicini P, Geronikaki A, Anastasia K, Incerti M, Zani F. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of novel 2- thiazolylimino-5-arylidene-4-thiazolidinones. Bioorg Med Chem. 2006;14(11):3859-64
17. Segall-Shapiro TH, Nguyen PQ, Dos Santos ED, Subedi S, Judd J, Suh J, et al. Mesophilic and hyperthermophilic adenylate kinases differ in their tolerance to random fragmentation. J Mol Biol. 2011; 406(1):135-48.
18. Gilles AM, Glaser P, Perrier V, Meier A, Longin R, Sebald M, et al. Zinc, a structural component of adenylate kinases from gram-positive bacteria. J Bacteriol. 1994; 176(2):520-3.
19. Gresh N. Development, validation, and applications of anisotropic polarizable molecular mechanics to study ligand and drug-receptor interactions. Curr Pharm Des. 2006; 12(17):2121-58.
20. Kistler KA, Matsika S. The fluorescence mechanism of 5-methyl-2-pyrimidinone: an ab initio study of a fluorescent pyrimidine analog. Photochem Photobiol. 2007; 83(3):611-24.
21. Seclaman E, Bora A, Avram S, Simon Z, Kurunczi L. MTD-PLS and docking study for a series of substituted 2-phenylindole derivatives with oestrogenic activity. Chemical Papers. 2011; 65 (4): 566-576.
22. Miura K, Inouye S, Sakai K, Takaoka H, Kishi F, Tabuchi M, et al. Cloning and characterization of adenylate kinase from Chlamydia pneumoniae. J Biol Chem. 2001; 276(16):13490-8.
23. Oakhill JS, Steel R, Chen ZP, Scott JW, Ling N, Tam S, et al. AMPK is a direct adenylate charge-regulated protein kinase. Science. 2011; 332(6036):1433-5.