The contribution deals with analysis of the influence of the substrate surface laser ablation before deposition process to improve the adhesion of coating-substrate system. The coatings were applied to the high-speed steel 6-5-2-5 (STN 19 852) and WC-Co cemented carbide with cobalt content of 10 wt%. LAteral Rotating Cathodes (LARC®) process was chosen for evaporation of individual CrN layers. Influence of laser ablation on the substrate morphology, structure, roughness, presence of residual stresses inside the substrates and layers and their adhesion behavior between the layers and the base material was studied. Scanning electron microscopy fitted with energy dispersive spectroscopy was utilized to investigate morphology and fracture areas of substrates with CrN layers. X-ray diffraction analysis was employed to detect the residual stresses measurements. Adhesion between the coatings and substrate was analyzed using “Mercedes” testing.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. KRIŽAN L. GRGAČ P. ČAPLOVIČ Ľ. 1988. Special Technology I. Progressive methods of heat treatment. Bratislava: SVŠT pp.270-291. ISBN 8022701920.
2. CAVALEIRO A. T. DE HOSSON J. 2007. Nanostructured Coatings. Canada: Springer p. 7. ISBN-13: 978-0387256429.
3. ANTONOV M. HUSSAINOVA I. SERGEJEV F. KULU P. GREGOR A. 2009. Assessment of gradient and nanogradient PVD coatings behavior under erosive abrasive and impact wear conditions. In Wear267(5 – 8) pp. 898 – 906. ISSN: 0043-1648.
4. VOJS M. MARTON M. 2014. Diamond coatings. In TriboTechnika6(1) pp. 44-46. ISSN 1338-0524.
5. ADAMIAK M. DOBRZAŃSKI Leszek A. 2008. Microstructure and selected properties of hot-work tool steel with PVD coatings after laser surface treatment. In Applied Surface Science. Institute of Engineering Materials and Biomaterials Silesian University of Technology 44-100 Gliwice Konarskiego Street 18A pp. 4552–4556.
6. BODZIN K. BRÖGELMANN T. GILLNER A. KRUPPE N. C. HE C. NADERI M. 2018. Laser-structured high performance PVD coatings. In Surface and Coatings Technology Vol. 352 pp. 302-312.
7. BOBZIN K. HOPMANN C.H. GILLNER A. BRÖGELMANN T. KRUPPE N.C. ORTH M. STEGER M. NADERI M. 2017. Enhanced replication ratio of injection molded plastic parts by using an innovative combination of laser-structuring and PVD coating. In Surface and Coatings Technology. Vol. 332 pp. 474-483.
8. BOBZIN K. BRÖGELMANN T. KRUPPE N.C. 2018. Enhanced PVD process control by online substrate temperature measurement. In Surface and Coatings Technology. Vol. 354 pp. 383-389.
9. FANG S. LIMA R. SANDOVAL D. BÄHRE D. LLANES L. 2018. Ablation Investigation of Cemented Carbides Using Short Pulse Laser Beams. In Science Direct 19th CIRP Conference on Electro Physical and Chemical Machining Bilbao Spain.
10. NEVES D. DINIZ A. E. LIMA M. S. F. 2013. Microstructural analyses and wear behavior of the cemented carbide tools after laser surface treatment and PVD coating. In Applied Surface Science. Vol. 282 pp. 680-688.
11. FU Y. HU J. HUO W. CAO W. ZHANG R. ZHAO W. 2018. Characterization of high-current pulsed electron beam interaction with AISI 1045 steel and the microstructure evolution. In Science Direct 19th CIRP Conference on Electro Physical and Chemical Machining Bilbao Spain.
12. VILLERIUS V. KOOIKER H. POST J. PEI Y. T. 2019. Ultrashort pulsed laser ablation of stainless steels. In International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture. Vol. 138 pp. 27 – 35.