Borated austenitic stainless steel is used in nuclear industry due to the high neutron absorption efficiency. The plasma, laser and electron beam welding experiments were used for the study of the weld joints microstructure. The microstructure changes caused by welding process were observed by light optical microscopy and transmission electron microscopy. The microstructural characterization and microchemical analysis showed significant changes of the phase composition in the weld metal mainly. The austenitic dendrites were surrounded by eutectics, which were the mixture of the M2(C,B) and M23(C,B) borocarbides, δ-ferrite and austenite.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. L.M. RONCERY S.WEBER W. THEISEN. 2011. Nucleation and precipitation kinetics of M23C6 and M2N in an Fe-Mn-Cr-C-N austenitic matrix and their relationship with the sensitization phenomenon. Acta Materialia 59 pp. 6275-6286.
2. H.B. LI Z.H. JIANG H. FENG Q.F. MA D.P. ZHAN. 2012. Aging precipitation behaviour of 18Cr-16Mn-2Mo-11N high nitrogen austenitic stainless steel and its influences on mechanical properties. Journal of Iron and Steel Research International 19 pp. 43-51.
3. K.K. LO C.H. SHEK J.K.L LAI. 2009. Recent developments in stainless steels. In: Materials Science and Engineering: R - Reports 65 pp. 39-104.
4. H.G. FU Z.H. LI Y.P. LEI Z.Q. JIANG J.D. XING. 2009. Structural variations in heat treated B-bearing stainless steel. In: Materials and Design 30 pp. 885-891.
5. B. SHANMUGARAJAN J.N. CHARY G. PADMANABHAM B. ARIVAZHAGAN K.A. SHAJU A.K. BHADURI. 2013. Studies on autogenous laser welding of type 304B4 borated stainless steel. In: Optics and Laser in Enginering 51 pp. 1272-1277.
6. M. DIVYA S.K. ALBERT. 2018 Dilution effects on weld metal microstructure and liquation cracking susceptibility of 304B4 SS joined E 309 electrode. Journal of Manufacturing Processes 34 pp. 540-554.
7. M. DOMÁNKOVÁ K. BÁRTOVÁ PASTIER P. 2017. Aging precipitation behaviour of Cr-Mn-N austenitic stainless steels. Materials Science Forum 891 pp. 155-160.