The degradation of the environment which is due to the discharge of polluting wastewater from industrial sources poses a real problem in several countries. Textile industries use large volumes of water in their operations, discharging thus large volume of wastewater into the environment, most of which is untreated. The wastewater contains a variety of chemicals from various stages of process operations, including desizing, scouring, bleaching and dyeing. The main purpose of this paper is to introduce Infrared Spectrometry with Fourier transformation as a non-destructive method for study, identifation and rapid determination of selected representatives of cationic (Methylene Blue), azo (Congo Red, Eriochrome Black T) and nitroso (Naphthol Green B) dyes. In conjunction with the ATR technique, FTIR offers a reliable detection method of dyes without extraction by other dangerous substances.
Spectral interpretation of dye spectra revealed valuable information about the identification and characterization of each group of dyes.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. K. M. LEE S. B. Abdul HAMID C. W. LAI. 2015. Multivariate analysis of photocatalytic-mineralization of Eriochrome Black T dye using ZnO catalyst and UV irradiation. Mater. Sci. Semicond. Process. Vol. 39 pp. 40–48.
2. T. LIU Y. LI Q. DU J. SUN Y. JIAO G. YANG Z. WANG Y. XIA W. ZHANG K. WANG H. ZHU D. WU. 2012. Adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution by graphene. Colloids Surfaces B Biointerfaces Vol. 90 pp. 197–203.
3. M. RAFATULLAH O. SULAIMAN R. HASHIM A. AHMAD. 2010. Adsorption of methylene blue on low-cost adsorbents: A review J. Hazard. Mater.177(1) pp. 70–80.
4. M. ZUBAIR N. JARRAH M. S. MANZAR M. Al-HARTHI M. DAUD N. D. MU’AZU S. HALADU. 2017. Adsorption of eriochrome black T from aqueous phase on MgAl- CoAl- and NiFe-calcined layered double hydroxides: Kinetic equilibrium and thermodynamic studies. J. Mol. Liq. Vol. 230 No. January pp. 344–352.
5. D. PATHANIA A. SHARMA Z. M. SIDDIQI. 2016. Removal of congo red dye from aqueous system using Phoenix dactylifera seeds. J. Mol. Liq. Vol. 219 pp. 359–367.
6. C. E. SILVA L. P. SILVA H. G. M. EDWARDS L. F. C. De OLIVEIRA. 2006. Diffuse reflection FTIR spectral database of dyes and pigments. Anal. Bioanal. Chem.386(7–8) pp. 2183–2191.
7. F. AHMED R. DEWANI M. K. PERVEZ S. J. MAHBOOB S. A. SOOMRO. 2016. Non-destructive FT-IR analysis of mono azo dyes. 48(1) pp. 71–77.
8. A. K. and H. R. NAFISUR RAHMAN. 2012. Studies on the Development of Spectrophotometric Method for the Determination of. Quim. Nov.35(2) pp. 392–397.
9. Z. L. YANEVA N. V GEORGIEVA. 2012. Insights into Congo Red Adsorption on Agro-Industrial Materials - Spectral Equilibrium Kinetic Thermodynamic Dynamic and Desorption Studies. A Review Vol. 4 No. September 2003 pp. 127–146.
10. M. M. A. HAMED N. M. ISMAIL S. A. IBRAHIM. 1994. Solvent characteristics in the spectral behaviour of eriochrome black T. Dye. Pigment.26(4) pp. 297–305.
11. K. M. LEE S. B. ABDUL HAMID C. W. LAI. 2015. Multivariate analysis of photocatalytic-mineralization of Eriochrome Black T dye using ZnO catalyst and UV irradiation. Mater. Sci. Semicond. Process. Vol. 39 pp. 40–48.
12. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Eriochrome black T. PubChem Compound Database; CID=5351620.
13. T. LIU Y. LI Q. DU J. SUN Y. JIAO G. YANG Z. WANG Y. XIA W. ZHANG K. WANG H. ZHU D. WU. 2012. Adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution by graphene. Colloids Surfaces B Biointerfaces90(1) pp. 197–203.
14. M. RAFATULLAH O. SULAIMAN R. HASHIM A. AHMAD. 2010. Adsorption of methylene blue on low-cost adsorbents: A review. J. Hazard. Mater.177(1–3) pp. 70–80.
15. Y. LI Q. DU T. LIU X. PENG J. WANG J. SUN Y. WANG S. WU Z. WANG Y. XIA L. XIA. 2013. Comparative study of methylene blue dye adsorption onto activated carbon graphene oxide and carbon nanotubes. Chem. Eng. Res. Des.91(2) pp. 361–368.
16. B. MYEK S. O. IDRIS J. F. IYUN. 2014. Kinetics and Mechanism of the Oxidation of Naphthol Green B by Dichromate Ion in Aqueous Hydrochloric Acid Medium. Aceh Int. J. Sci. Technol.3(1) pp. 37–42.
17. W. ZHANG C. MA Z. SU and Y. BAI. 2016. Resonance Rayleigh Scattering Spectra of an Ion-Association Complex of Naphthol Green B–Chitosan System and Its Application in the Highly Sensitive Determination of Chitosan. Mar. Drugs14(4) p. 71.
18. S. CHITRAVATHI B. E. KUMARA SWAMY G. P. MAMATHA B. S. SHERIGARA. 2012. Electrochemical behavior of poly (naphthol green B)-film modified carbon paste electrode and its application for the determination of dopamine and uric acid. J. Electroanal. Chem. Vol. 667 pp. 66–75.
19. G. KRISHNA A. N. BABU K. RAVINDHRANATH. 2016. Removal of naphthol green B dye from polluted waters using hydrogen peroxide treated red mud. No. December.
20. B. MYEK S. O. IDRIS J. F. IYUN. 2014. Preliminary Study on the Kinetics and Mechanism of the Oxidation of Naphthol Green B by Dichromate Ion in Aqueous Hydrochloric Acid Medium. Aceh Int. J. Sci. Technol.3(1) pp. 37–42.
21. X. XIAO C. C. XU Y. M. WU P. J. CAI W. W. LI D. L. DU H. Q. YU. 2012. Biodecolorization of Naphthol Green B dye by Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 under anaerobic conditions. Bioresour. Technol. Vol. 110 pp. 86–90.
22. National Center for Biotechnology Information “Naphthol Green B” PubChem Compound Database; CID=6915910.
23. M. C. GRIEVE R. M. GRIFFIN and R. MALONE. 1998. Characteristic dye absorption peaks found in the FTIR spectra of coloured acrylic fibres. Sci. justice38(1) pp. 27–37.
24. L. ADDNAN. 2016. “SYNTHESIS AND CHARACTERIZATION OF NEW AZO DYE (1-(4-SULFONYL ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY” 1(1) pp. 271–277.
25. O. V OVCHINNIKOV A. V EVTUKHOVA T. S. KONDRATENKO M. S. SMIRNOV V. Y. KHOKHLOV O. V ERINA. 2016. Vibrational Spectroscopy Manifestation of intermolecular interactions in FTIR spectra of methylene blue molecules. Vib. Spectrosc. Vol. 86 pp. 181–189.
26. P. R. SOMANI R. MARIMUTHU A. VISWANATh S. RADHAKRISHNAN. 2003. Thermal degradation properties of solid polymer electrolyte (poly(vinyl alcohol)+phosphoric acid)/methylene blue composites. Polym. Degrad. Stab.79(1) pp. 77–83.
27. F. ZHANG Z. NI S. XIA X. LIU Q. WANG. 2009. Removal of naphthol green B from aqueous solution by calcined layered double hydroxides: Adsorption property and mechanism studies. Chinese J. Chem.27(9) pp. 1767–1772.