1 Ing. Alica Bartošová, PhD., Ing. Lenka Blinová, PhD., Ing. Kristína Gerulová, PhD. Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava, Faculty of Materials Science and Technology in Trnava, Institute of Safety, Environment and Quality, Paulínska 16, 917 24 Trnava, Slovak Republic
Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy was used in this study to identify and determine spectral features of Chromochloris zofingiensis (Dönz) Fucíková et L.A. Lewis (SAG 211-14, Gottingen, Germany), Acutodesmus obliguus (Turpin) Hegewald (SAG 276-1, Gottingen, Germany) and Chlorella sorokiniana (K. Brandt) Pröschold et Darienko (SAG 211-40c, Gottingen, Germany). Polysaccharides and lipids from these three algae species were determined using Fourier Transformed Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) with ATR accessory with diamante crystal in spectral range from 400 – 4000 cm−1 and resolution 4.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. NAUTIYAL P. SUBRAMANIAN K. A. DASTIDAR M. G. 2014. Production and characterization of biodiesel from algae. Fuel Process. Technol. vol. 120 pp. 79–88.
2. SIMS R. E. H. MABEE W. J. SADDLER N. TAYLOR M. 2010. An overview of second generation biofuel technologies. Bioresour. Technol.101(6) pp. 1570–80.
3. SLADE R. BAUEN A. 2013. Micro-algae cultivation for biofuels: Cost energy balance environmental impacts and future prospects. Biomass and Bioenergy vol. 53 pp. 29–38.
4. SCAIFE M. A. MERKX-JACQUES A. WOODHALL D. L. ARMENTA R. E. 2015. Algal biofuels in Canada: Status and potential. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. vol. 44 pp. 620–642.
5. JEBSEN NORICI C. WAGNER A. H. PALMUCCI M. GIORDANO M. WILHELM C. 2012. FTIR spectra of algal species can be used as physiological fingerprints to assess their actual growth potential. Physiol. Plant.146(4) pp. 427–438.
6. STEHFEST K. TOEPEL J. WILHELM C. 2005. The application of micro-FTIR spectroscopy to analyze nutrient stress-related changes in biomass composition of phytoplankton algae. Plant Physiol. Biochem.43(7) pp. 717–26.
7. GIORDANO M. KANSIZ M. HERAUD P. BEARDALL J. WOOD B. MCNAUGHTON D. 2001. Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy as a novel tool to investigate changes in intracellular macromolecular pools in the marine microalga Chaetoceros muellerii (Bacillariophyceae). J. Phycol.37(2) pp. 271–279.
8. DUYGU D. 2012. Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy for identification of Chlorella vulgaris Beijerinck 1890 and Scenedesmus obliquus (Turpin) Kützing 1833 African J. Biotechnol.11(16) pp. 3817–3824.
9. VILLACORTE L. O. EKOWATI Y. NEU T. R. KLEIJN J. M. WINTERS H. AMY G. SCHIPPERS J. C. KENNEDY M. D. 2015. Characterisation of algal organic matter produced by bloom-forming marine and freshwater algae. Water Res. vol. 73 pp. 216–230.
10. CHAKRABORTY M. MIAO C. MCDONALD A. CHEN S. 2012. Concomitant extraction of bio-oil and value added polysaccharides from Chlorella sorokiniana using a unique sequential hydrothermal extraction technology. Fuel vol. 95 pp. 63–70.