Intergranular corrosion (IGC) is one of the major problems in austenitic stainless steels. This type of corrosion is caused by precipitation of secondary phases on grain boundaries (GB). Precipitation of the secondary phases can lead to formation of chromium depleted zones in the vicinity of grain boundaries. Mount of the sensitization of material is characterized by the degree of sensitization (DOS). Austenitic stainless steel AISI 316 as experimental material had been chosen. The samples for the study of sensitization were solution annealed on 1100 °C for 60 min followed by water quenching and then sensitization by isothermal annealing on 700 °C and 650 °C with holding time from 15 to 600 min. Transmission electron microscopy (TEM) was used for identification of secondary phases. Electron backscattered diffraction (EBSD) was applied for characterization of grain boundary structure as one of the factors which influences on DOS.
1. LAI, J. K. L., SHEK, Ch. H. 2012. Stainless steels: An introduction and their recent developments. Bentham eBooks, 23.
2. V.Y. GERTSMAN, S. M. BRUEMMER. 2001. Study of grain boundary character along intergranular stress corrosion crack paths in austenitic alloys. Acta mater., 49, 1589-1598. ISSN 1359-5803
3. JONES, R., RANDLE, V. 2010. Sensitization behavior of grain boundary engineered austenitic stainless steel. Material Science and Engineering, A 527, 4275 - 4280. ISSN 0921-5093
4. SINGH, R., CHOWDHURY, S. G., KUMAR, B. R.., DAS, S. K.., DE, P. K., CHATTORAJ, I. 2007. The importance of grain size relative to grain boundary character on the sensitization of metastable austenitic stainless steel. Scripta Materialia, 57, 185 -188. ISSN 1359-6462
5. YU, X., CHEN, S., LIU, Y., REN, F. 2010. A study of intergranular corrosion of austenitic stainless steel by electrochemical potentiodynamic reactivation, electron back-scattering diffraction and cellular automaton. Corrosion Science, 52, 1939 - 1947. ISSN: 0010-938X
6. JONES, R., RANDLE, V., OWEN, G. 2008. Carbide precipitation and grain boundary plane selection in averaged type 316 austenitic stainless steel. Materials Science and Engineering, A, 496, 256-261. ISSN 0921-5093
7. KUNÍKOVÁ, T., DOMÁNKOVÁ, M., TULEJA, S., HRIVŇÁKOVÁ, D. 2003. Thermal stability and corrosion resistance of AISI316 L and 316LN steel. International Conference Advanced Metallic Materilas, 160-165. ISBN 80-969011-7-6
8. HU, Ch., XIA, S., LIU, T., ZHOU, B., CHEN, W., WAND, N. 2011. Improving the intergranular corrosion resistance of 304 stainless steel by grain boundary network control. Corrosion Science, 53, 1880 - 1886. ISSN 0010-938X