The article reveals the current status of the quality assurance development in the training process of the European Union (EU) border guard agencies. Besides, the study aims to describe the prospects for further quality assurance development of the border guards training in the EU countries. The views of scientists on the concepts of “quality assurance and control” and “quality of training” were critically studied. The quality of a border guard’s training was defined as a set of knowledge, skills and competencies of a border guard, including a border guard’s personal qualities, characteristics, which define a person as a specialist in the sphere of the state border protection and distinguishes him or her from other specialists and ensures success along the border guard career path. The study of the quality assurance system of border guards’ training in the EU countries revealed that it is conducted by the European policies and educational and training standards and promotes the formal certification and external accreditation of border guards’ training. It is indicated that the prospects for developing quality assurance mechanism for all-European border guard courses are connected with the possibility to provide external accreditation for such courses as: Introduction to Educational Technology and Training Delivery Methodology, which the author completed in 2017 and 2018. The process of accreditation is being conducted by an international quality assurance agency. The quality assurance system of the border guards training in EU is used in the Joint European Master’s Program in Strategic Border Management, developed by FRONTEX Agency in cooperation with European educational establishments. So, the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine can be particularly interested in this program, in order to facilitate the increasing of quality of Ukrainian border guards training.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Balendr A. (2018). Information and communication technologies in foreign languages training of the border guards in the European Union Countries. Information Technologies and Learning Tools 67 (5) 56-71.
2. Bidiuk N. Ikonnikova M. & Komochkova O. (2018). Overview of professional education of linguistics students at universities of Great Britain. Advanced Education 9 5-10.
3. Bloshchynskyi I. (2017). Enhancement of cadets’ practical training at the National Academy of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine named after Bohdan Khmelnytskyi. Science and Education (4) 5-10.
4. European Joint Master’s in Strategic Border Management: policies & procedures. (n.a.). Retrieved from https://frontex.europa.eu/assets_publications/Training/EJMSBM_Procedures_and_Policies.pdf.
5. European University Association. (2006). Quality culture in European Universities: a bottom-up approach (Brussels EUA).
6. Kanivets P. (2004). Modeli i metody otsenki kachestva podgotovki i povysheniya konkurentosposobnosti spetsialistov. (Diss. kand. ekon. nauk). Novocherkask.
7. Korotkov E. (2006). Kontseptsiya yakosti osvity. Retrieved from http://osvita.ua/school/manage/general/1342/5.
8. ISO 9000:2015(en) quality management systems - fundamentals and vocabulary. (2015). Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:9000:ed-4:v1:en.
9. Peres A. Norris J. (2017). Sectoral qualifications framework for border guarding - the way towards harmonization of border guard qualifications across EU? European Law Enforcement Research Bulletin (3) 145-158. Retrieved from https://bulletin.cepol.europa.eu/index.php/bulletin/article/view/289QA
10. Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures. (2017). Frontex - the European Border and Coast Guard Agency. Pl. Europejski 6 00-844 Warsaw Poland.
11. Subeto A. (1989). Kategoriya kachestva i effektivnosti v teorii pedagogicheskikh sistem. Upravleniye kachestvom podgotovki spetsialistov v vysshey shkole. Gorkii.
12. Suslov A. (2005). Sistema otsenki kachestva podgotovki spetsialista. Kachestvo. Innovatsii. Obrazovaniye 3 58-61.
13. The Great Explanatory Dictionary of Modern Ukrainian Language. (2001). Kyiv: Perun.
14. Yakymenko Yu. (2005). Yakist osvity - krok do yevropeyskoyi intehratsiyi. Retrieved from https://kpi.ua/530-3
15. Zalitis I. Zukova M. & Madzule I. (2016). Quality assurance in border guards’ education: challenges and topical issue. Mosklinių straipsnių rinkinys visuomenės saugumas ir viešoji tvarka public security and public order 17 290-305.