The phosphorylated form of the high-molecular-weight neurofilament subunit NF-H (pNF-H) in serum or in cerebro-spinal fluid (CSF) is a specific lesional biomarker for spinal cord injury. The lesional biomarkers and the reaction biomarkers are both presented after several hours post-injury. The specific predictive patterns of lesional biomarkers could be used to aid clinicians with making a diagnosis and establishing a prognosis, and evaluating therapeutic interventions. Diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment guidance based on biomarker used as a predictive indicator can determine ethical difficulties by differentiated therapies in patients with spinal cord compression. At this point based on studies until today we cannot take a decision based on biomarker limiting the treatment of neurological recovery in patients with complete spinal cord injury because we do not know the complexity of the biological response to spinal cord compression.
1. Burns AS, Marino RJ, Flanders AE, Flett H. Clinical diagnosis and prognosis following spinal cord injury. In: Verhaagen J, McDonald JW, editors. Spinal Cord Injury. Handbook of Clinical Neurology. Volume 109, Elsevier B.V; 2012. p. 47 - 62. ISBN: 978-0-444-52137-8
2. Liverman CT, Altevogt BM, Joy JE, Johnson RT, editors. Spinal cord injury. Progress, Promise, and Priorities. The National Academic Press, USA; 2005. 344p. ISBN 0-309-09585-9
3. Yokobori S, Zhang Z, Moghieb A, Mondello S, Gajavelli S, Dietrich WD, Bramlett H, Hayes RL, Wang M, Wang KK, Bullock MR. Acute diagnostic biomarkers for spinal cord injury: review of the literature and preliminary research report. World Neurosurg. 2015; 83(5):867-78.
4. Basu S, Hellberg A, Ulus AT, Westman J, Karacagil S. Biomarkers of free radical injury during spinal cord ischemia. FEBS Lett. 2001, 9; 508(1):36-8.
5. Guéz M, Hildingsson C, Rosengren L, Karlsson K, Toolanen G. Nervous tissue damage markers in cerebrospinal fluid after cervical spine injuries and whiplash trauma. J Neurotrauma. 2003; 20(9): 853-8.
8. Hayakawa K, Okazaki R, Ishii K, Ueno T, Izawa N, Tanaka Y et al. Phosphorylated neurofilament subunit NF-H as a biomarker for evaluating the severity of spinal cord injury patients, a pilot study. Spinal Cord 2012, 50, 493-496. doi:
9. Iencean StM, Adam D, Ungureanu D, Tascu Al, Cuciureanu D, Costachescu B, Iencean ASt, Poeata I. Preliminary results of CSF phosphorylated neurofilament subunit NF-H as biomarkers of acute Spinal Cord Injury. Romanian Neurosurg.2013, XX; 4: 351 - 356
10. Pouw MH, Kwon BK, Verbeek MM, Vos PE, van Kampen A, Fisher CG, Street J, Paquette SJ, Dvorak MF, Boyd MC, Hosman AJ, van de Meent H. Structural biomarkers in the cerebrospinal fluid within 24 h after a traumatic spinal cord injury: a descriptive analysis of 16 subjects. Spinal Cord. 2014; 52(6): 428-33. doi:
11. Takahashi H, Aoki Y, Nakajima A, Sonobe M, Terajima F, Saito M, Taniguchi S, Yamada M, Watanabe F, Furuya T, Koda M, Yamazaki M, Takahashi K, Nakagawa K. Phosphorylated neurofilament subunit NFH becomes elevated in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with acutely worsening symptoms of compression myelopathy. J Clin Neurosci. 2014; 21(12): 2175-8.
12. Tascu Al, Iencean St M, Iencean ASt. New approach based on biomarkers in acute traumatic spinal cord injury. Romanian Neurosurgery (2016) XXX 2: 147-153