Giant cell tumors of the bone are tumors whose malignant character has long been debated. Lung metastases have been reported in some cases. They usually represent osteolytic, locally aggressive bone tumors for which surgery is the standard of care. Denosumab is the most effective systemic treatment in these cases, but both the timing and the duration are a matter of debate. The aim of this short review was to describe the most important trials that treated patients with this drug and to discuss both advantages and long-term toxicity. It can be concluded from the presented data that the choice of adding denosumab in the treatment sequence of giant cell tumor of the bone has to be taken in a personalized manner for each patient.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Raskin KA Schwab JH Mankin HJ Springfield DS Hornicek FJ. Giant cell tumor of bone. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2013; 21:118-26.
2. Behjati S Tarpey PS Presneau N Scheipl S Pillay N Van Loo P et al. Distinct h3f3a and h3f3b driver mutations define chondroblastoma and giant cell tumor of bone. Nat Genet. 2013; 45:1479-82.
3. Zhen W Yaotian H Songjian L Ge L Qingliang W. Giantcell tumor of bone. The long-term results of treatment by curettage and bone graft. J Bone Joint Surg (Br). 2004; 86:212-6.
4. Branstetter DG Nelson SD Manivel JC et al. Denosumab induces tumour reduction and bone formation in patients with giant cell tumour of the bone. Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 18:4415-4424.
5. Ueda T Morioka H Nishida Y et al. Objective tumour response to denosumab in patients with giant cell tumour of the bone. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22:2860-2868.
6. Aghaloo TL Felsenfeld AL Tetradis S et al. Osteonecrosis of the jaw in a patient on denosumab. J of the American Association of Oral Maxilofacial Surgeons. May 2011; 68(5):959-963.
7. Boquete-Castro A Gomez-Moreno G Calvo-Guirado JL Aguilar-Salvatierra A Delgado-Ruiz RA. Denosumab and osteonecrosis of the jaw. A systematic analysis of events reported in clinical trials. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2016 Mar; 27(3):367-75.
8. Thomas D HenshawR Skubitz L et al. Denosumab in patients with giant-cell tumour of the bone: an open label phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11:275-280.
9. Rutkowski P Ferrari S Grimer RJ et al. Surgical downstaging in an open label phase II trial of denosumab in patients with giant cell tumour of the bone. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22:2860-2868.
10. Chawla S Henshaw R Seeger L et al. Safety and efficacy of denosumab for adults and skeletally mature adolescents with giant cell tumour of the bone: interrim analysis of an open label parallel- group phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14:901-908.
11. Gatti D Viapiana O Fracassi E Idolazzi L Dartizio C Povino MR et al. Sclerostin and dkk1 in postmenopausal osteoporosis treated with denosumab. J Bone Miner Res. 2012; 27:2259-63.
12. Fumihiro I Nakamura Y. Effects of Denosumab Treatment during Early Pregnancy - A Case Report. Journal of Nutritional Disorders & Therapy. 2015; 06. 10.4172/2161-0509.1000189.
13. Chaudhary P Khadim H Gajra A Damron T Shah C. Bisphosphonate therapy is effective in the treatment of sacral giant cell tumor. Onkologie. 2011; 34:702-4.