Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (SCNEC) of the nasopharynx and nasal cavity is a rare condition. It is an aggressive malignancy with a high recurrence rate. Despite its rarity in the sinonasal region, it may occur as a second primary malignancy. Patients with cancer of the head and neck region are more prone to develop a second primary tumor due to the field cancerization phenomenon, and a higher incidence is seen in those who have previously received radiation therapy. A detailed clinical and histopathological examination is pivotal to diagnose SCNEC as a second primary malignancy. We wish to highlight such a peculiar case from our center.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Chen CL Hsu MM. Second primary epithelial malignancy of nasopharynx and nasal cavity after successful curative radiation therapy of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Hum Pathol. 2000;31(2):227-32.
2. Bellahammou K Lakhdissi A Akkar O Kouhen F Rais F Dahraoui S et al. Small-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of nasopharynx: a case report. IJSM. 2017;3(2):132-5.
3. Aguiar A Jacome M Azevedo I Monteiro E Castro V. Small-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma originating from the nasopharynx: report of a rare case. Rep Radiother Oncol. 2015;2(3):e3814. DOI: 10.17795/rro-3814.
4. Nagy AA Trombitas V Vlad D Albu S. Sinonasal neuroendocrine carcinoma – a case report. Romanian Journal of Rhinology. 2014;4(14):117-20.
5. Radhakrishnan D Supriya NK Varma KR. Sinonasal neuroendocrine carcinoma in a young female - a case report. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2017;11(11):ED05-ED06. Available from: http://www.jcdr.net/article_fulltext.asp?issn=0973-709x&year=2017&month=November&volume=11&issue=11&page=ED05&id=10907.
6. Montone KT. The differential diagnosis of sinonasal/nasopharyngeal neuroendocrine/neuroectodermally derived tumors. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2015;139(12):1498-507. DOI: 10.5858/arpa.2014-0383-RA.
7. Azevedo D Rios E Vendeira L Sarmento C. Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the nasopharynx: a rare case report. Autops Case Rep. 2017;7(1):31-5. DOI: 10.4322/acr.2017.002.
8. Lin CH Chiang TP Shum WY Hsu CH Tsai YC Tsao TY et al. Primary small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the nasal cavity after successful curative therapy of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a case report. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2009;25(3):145-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1607-551X(09)70054-3.
9. Shah K Perez-Ordóñez B. Neuroendocrine neoplasms of the sinonasal tract: neuroendocrine carcinomas and olfactory neuroblastoma. Head Neck Pathol. 2016;10(1):85-94. DOI: 10.1007/s12105-016-0696-7. Epub 2016 Feb 1.
10. Silva EG Butler JJ MacKay B Goepfert H. Neuroblastomas and neuroendocrine carcinomas of the nasal cavity. A proposed new classification. Cancer. 1982;50(11):2388-405.
11. Rosenthal DI Barker JL El-Naggar AK Glisson BS Kies MS Diaz EM et al. Sinonasal malignancies with neuroendocrine differentiation: patterns of failure according to histologic phenotype. Cancer. 2004;101(11):2567-73.
12. Guo C Pan Q Su M Li R. Clinical immunophenotype of nasopharyngeal neuroendocrine carcinoma with metastatic liver cancer. Clin Chim Acta. 2017;471:283-5. DOI: 10.1016/j.cca.2017.06.016. Epub 2017 Jun 17.