BACKGROUND. The rigid endoscope developed by Karl Storz in 1961 led to a great advance in diagnosis and surgery and nowadays it is the gold standard in routine ENT practice. In addition, the development of video cameras has enhanced the surgical abilities as well as teaching opportunities in endoscopic sinus surgery.
OBJECTIVE. We developed a new prototype endoscope using the “chip-on-the-tip” technology. The aim of our non-clinical study was to observe and discuss the experimental data collected from laboratory tests on plastic models.
MATERIAL AND METHODS. The prototype rigid chip-on-the-tip endoscope has two parts - inner and outer. The inner part includes the chip-on-the-tip camera, light source and the cable. The outer part is a metal tube ending with a 0-degree lens. We performed laboratory tests of the rigid chip-on-the-tip endoscope for rhinosurgery and diagnosis.
RESULTS. We have observed technical parameters of the rigid chip-on-the-tip in order to compare them to conventional endoscopes connected with camera head units that are standard equipment for rhinosurgery and diagnosis.
CONCLUSION. Its advantages compared to the conventional Hopkins endoscope, connected to a standard camera head, are the smaller size, weight and the necessity of only one cable instead of two, allowing easy handling.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Berci G. Professor Harold H. Hopkins – personal reflections. Surg Endosc. 1995;9:667-8. Available from: https://vdocuments.mx/professor-harold-h-hopkins.html.
2. Messerklinger W. Endoscopy of the nose. Urban & Schwarzenberg; 1978.
3. Stammberger H Posawetz W. Functional endoscopic sinus surgery. Concept indications and results of the Messerklinger technique. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 1990;247(2):63-76.
4. Draf W. Endoscopy of the paranasal sinuses: technique typical findings therapeutic possibilities. Springer – Verlag; 1983.
5. Yanagisawa E. The use of video in ENT endoscopy: its value in teaching. Ear Nose Throat J. 1994;73(10):754-63.
6. Tasman AJ Stammberger H. Video-endoscope versus endoscope for paranasal sinus surgery: influence on stereoacuity. Am J Rhinol. 1998;12(6):389-92.
7. Weber RK Hosemann W. Comprehensive review on endonasal endoscopic sinus surgery. GMS Curr Top Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015;14:Doc08. DOI: 10.3205/cto000123. eCollection 2015.
8. Tasman AJ Feldhusen F Kolling GH Hosemann W. Video-endoscope versus endoscope for paranasal sinus surgery: influence on visual acuity and color discrimination. Am J Rhinol. 1999;13(1):7-10.
9. Albrecht T Baumann I Plinkert PK Simon C Sertel S. Three-dimensional endoscopic visualization in functional endoscopic sinus surgery. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2016;273(11):3753-8. Epub 2016 Apr 19.
10. Sherry H Grzyb J Zhao Y Al Hadi R Cathelin A Kaiser A et al. A 1kpixel CMOS camera chip for 25fps real-time terahertz imaging applications. 2012 IEEE International Soli-State Circuits Conference San Francisco CA; 2012. P. 252-4. DOI: 10.1109/ISSCC.2012.6177011. Available from: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6176997/.
11. Okhunov Z Hruby GW Mirabile G Marruffo F Lehman DS Benson MC et al. Prospective comparison of flexible fiberoptic and digital cystoscopes. Urology. 2009;74(2):427–30. DOI: 10.1016/j.urology.2009.01.007. Epub 2009 Jun 6.
12. Dhumane PW Diana M Leroy J Marescaux J. Minimally invasive single-site surgery for the digestive system: A technological review. J Minim Access Surg. 2011;7(1):40-51. DOI: 10.4103/0972-9941.72381.
13. Swanstrom LL Soper NJ. (eds) Mastery of Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgery. LWW Wolters Kluwer Health; 2013.
14. Tomazic PV Hammer GP Gerstenberger C Koele W Stammberger H. Heat development at nasal endoscopes’ tips: danger of tissue damage? A laboratory study. Laryngoscope. 2012;122(8):1670–3. DOI: 10.1002/lary.23339. Epub 2012 May 3.
15. Kawaida M Fukuda H Kohno N. Clinical Experience with a New Type of Rhino-Larynx Electronic Endoscope PENTAX VNL-1530. Diagn Ther Endosc. 1994;1(1):57–62.
16. Schröck A Stuhrrmann N Schade G. Flexible ‘chip-on-the-tip’ endoscopy for larynx diagnostics. HNO. 2008;56(12):1239–42. DOI: 10.1007/s00106-008-1783-1.
17. Eller R Ginsburg M Lurie D Heman-Ackah Y Lyons K Sataloff R. Flexible laryngoscopy: a comparison of fiber optic and distal chip technologies-part 2: laryngopharyngeal reflux. J Voice. 2009;23(3):389–95. DOI: 10.1016/j.voice.2007.10.007. Epub 2009 Jan 29.
18. Helferty JP Zhang C McLennan G Higgins WE. Videoendoscopic distortion correction and its application to virtual guidance of endoscopy. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2001;20(7):605-17.