The authors present a case of recurrent frontal rhinosinusitis, for which the drug therapy was ineffective. To avert the risk of complications, multiple classic and endoscopic surgical procedures were performed on the frontal sinus pathology.
The bacterium involved in this form of rhinosinusitis was represented by a Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) diagnosed during the first endoscopic approach (the second surgical procedure) for which the treatment corresponding to the antibiogram was followed. At the last hospitalization, the patient has underwent a frontal bilateral drainage surgery (modified Lothrop procedure) and started an adequate anti-MRSA treatment.
The authors wondered whether multiple recurrences of frontal rhinosinusitis are determined by an incomplete drainage, by a persistent infection with MRSA or by both.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Plata K. Rosato A.E. Wegrzyn G. - Staphylococcus aureus as an infectious agent: overview of biochemistry and molecular genetics of its pathogenicity. Acta Biochim Pol. 2009;56(4):597-612. Epub 2009 Dec 11.
2. Becker S.S. Russell P.T. Duncavage J.A. Creech C.B. - Current issues in the management of sinonasal methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;17(1):2-5. doi:
2. Becker S.S., Russell P.T., Duncavage J.A., Creech C.B. - Current issues in the management of sinonasal methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg., 2009;17(1):2-5. doi: 10.1097/MOO.0b013e32831b9c97.)| false
7. Kuhn F.A. Javer A.R. - Primary endoscopic management of the frontal sinus. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2001;34(1):59-75.
8. Goldberg E. Paul M. Talker O. Samra Z. Raskin M. Hazzan R. Leibovici L. Bishara J. - Co-trimoxazole versus vancomycin for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia: a retrospective cohort study. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010;65(8):1779-1783. doi:
8. Goldberg E., Paul M., Talker O., Samra Z., Raskin M., Hazzan R., Leibovici L., Bishara J. - Co-trimoxazole versus vancomycin for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia: a retrospective cohort study. J Antimicrob Chemother., 2010;65(8):1779-1783. doi: 10.1093/jac/dkq179. Epub 2010 May 27.)| false
9. Gross W.E. Gross C.W. Becker D. Moore D. Phillips D. - Modified transnasal endoscopic Lothrop procedure as an alternative to frontal sinus obliteration. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1995;113(4):427-434.