Background. Functional endoscopic sinus surgery may be indicated when certain anatomic variations impede the normal drainage of the paranasal sinuses through the ostiomeatal complex. We aimed at studying the drainage system of the maxillary sinus which consists of the maxillary infundibulum, the main ostium of the maxillary sinus, the ethmoidal infundibulum and the hiatus semilunaris inferior.
Material and methods. The study was performed retrospectively on cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) scans of 60 subjects (N=120 maxillary sinuses). The anatomical pattern of the maxillary sinus drainage was studied on coronal scans.
Results. As related to different morphological possibilities in the supero-lateral limit of the maxillary sinus drainage system, five different patterns were defined: in type I (55%) there was no pneumatization in that situs, in type II (18%) there was an infraorbital recess of the maxillary sinus placed above the sinus ostium, in type III (14%) an ethmoidal recess of the maxillary sinus was expanded within the ethmoid bone, above the ethmoidal infundibulum, in type IV (3%) there were Haller cells above the sinus ostium, while in type V (10%) there were non-infraorbital ethmoid air cells above and draining into the ethmoidal infundibulum.
Conclusion. It appears that CBCT is a reliable tool to make an anatomical distinction of the variable pattern of pneumatization impeding a normal drainage of the maxillary sinus, between maxillary sinus- and ethmoid-derived air-filled spaces.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Mafee M.F. - Preoperative imaging anatomy of nasal-ethmoid complex for functional endoscopic sinus surgery. Radiol Clin North Am, 1993;31(1):1-20.
2. Wani A.A., Kanotra S., Lateef M., Ahmad R., Qazi S.M., Ahmad S. - CT scan evaluation of the anatomical variations of the ostiomeatal complex. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg., 2009;61(3):163-168. doi: 10.1007/s12070-009-0059-8. Epub 2009 Sep 27.
3. Liu X., Zhang G., Xu G. - Anatomic variations of the ostiomeatal complex and their correlation with chronic sinusitis: CT evaluation. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi, 1999;34(3):143-146.
4. Ramadan H.H. - Surgical causes of failure in endoscopic sinus surgery. Laryngoscope, 1999;109(1):27-29.
5. Rusu M.C., Didilescu A.C., Jianu A.M., Paduraru D. - 3D CBCT anatomy of the pterygopalatine fossa. Surg Radiol Anat., 2013;35(2):143-159. doi: 10.1007/s00276-012-1009-9.
6. Prasanna L.C., Mamatha H. - The location of maxillary sinus ostium and its clinical application. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg., 2010;62(4):335-337.
7. Stammberger H.R., Kennedy D.W., Anatomic Terminology Group - Paranasal sinuses: anatomic terminology and nomenclature. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol Suppl.,, 1995;167:7-16.
8. Stamm A.C., Draf W. - Micro-endoscopic surgery of the paranasal sinuses and the skull base. Berlin, New York: Springer, 2000.
10. Măru N., Rusu M.C., Săndulescu M. - The conchal recess of the maxillary sinus: a 100 cases CB CT study. Revista Română de Anatomie funcţională şi clinică, macro- şi microscopică şi de Antropologie, 2013;XII:271-275.
11. Sedaghat A.R., Gray S.T., Chambers K.J., Wilke C.O., Caradonna D.S. - Sinonasal anatomic variants and asthma are associated with faster development of chronic rhinosinusitis in patients with allergic rhinitis. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol.,, 2013;3(9):755-761. doi:10.1002/alr.21163.
12. Caversaccio M., Boschung U., Mudry A. - Historical review of Haller’s cells. Ann Anat., 2011;193(3):185-190. doi: 10.1016/j.aanat.2011.02.006.
13. Rysz M., Bakon L. - Maxillary sinus anatomy variation and nasal cavity width: structural computed tomography imaging. Folia Morphol (Warsz), 2009;68(4):260-264.
14. Yanagisawa E., Citardi M.J. - Endoscopic view of the infraorbital ethmoid cell (Haller cell). Ear Nose Throat J., 1996;75(7):406-407.
15. Fadda G.L., Rosso S., Aversa S., Petrelli A., Ondolo C., Succo G. - Multiparametric statistical correlations between paranasal sinus anatomic variations and chronic rhinosinusitis. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital., 2012;32(4):244-251.
16. Mathew R., Omami G., Hand A., Fellows D., Lurie A. - Cone beam CT analysis of Haller cells: prevalence and clinical significance. Dentomaxillofac Radiol., 2013;42(9):20130055. doi: 10.1259/ dmfr.20130055.