Caplan’s syndrome, known as rheumatoid pneumoconiosis, was first described by Anthony Caplan in 1953, who identified a rare lung disorder found in coal mine workers with rheumatoid arthritis. Although Caplan’s syndrome was found in patients with a variety of pneumoconioses, it mostly affects individuals with long exposure to crystalline silica. We present a case of Caplan’s syndrome in a patient with advanced stage of rheumatoid arthritis and silicosis.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Alaya Z, Braham M, Aissa S, Kalboussi H, Bouajina E. A case of Caplan syndrome in a recently diagnosed patient with silicosis: A case report. Radiology case reports. 2018;13(3):663-6.
2. Schreiber J, Koschel D, Kekow J, Waldburg N, Goette A, Merget R. Rheumatoid pneumoconiosis (Caplan’s syndrome). European Journal of Internal Medicine. 2010;21(3):168-72.
3. De Capitani EM, Schweller M, Silva CM, Metze K, Cerqueira EM, Bértolo MB. Rheumatoid pneumoconiosis (Caplan’s syndrome) with a classical presentation. Jornal brasileiro de pneumologia: publicacao oficial da Sociedade Brasileira de Pneumologia e Tisilogia. 2009.
4. Kay J, Upchurch KS. ACR/EULAR 2010 rheumatoid arthritis classification criteria. Rheumatology. 2012;51(suppl_6):vi5-9.
5. Tellesson WG. Rheumatoid pneumoconiosis (Caplan’s syndrome) in an asbestos worker. Thorax. 1961;16(4):372.
6. Honma K, Vallyathan V. Rheumatoid pneumoconiosis: a comparative study of autopsy cases between Japan and North America. Annals of Occupational Hygiene. 2002;46(suppl_1):265-7.
7. Alaya Z, Braham M, Aissa S, Kalboussi H, Bouajina E. A case of Caplan syndrome in a recently diagnosed patient with silicosis: A case report. Radiology case reports. 2018 Jun 1;13(3):663-6.
8. Calvert GM, Rice FL, Boiano JM, Sheehy JW, Sanderson WT. Occupational silica exposure and risk of various diseases: an analysis using death certificates from 27 states of the United States. Occupational and environmental medicine. 2003;60(2):122-
9. Otsuki T, Miura Y, Nishimura Y, Hyodoh F, Takata A, Kusaka M, Katsuyama H, Tomita M, Ueki A, Kishimoto T. Alterations of Fas and Fas-related molecules in patients with silicosis. Experimental Biology and Medicine.2006;231(5):522-33.
12. Silicoza-Ghid de Practica Medicala, Revista Româna de Medicina Muncii. 2010;61(1-2):4-11.
13. Przygodzka M, Filipowicz-Sosnowska A. Prevalence of thyroid diseases and antithyroid antibodies in women with rheumatoid arthritis. Pol Arch Med Wewn.2009;119:39–43.
14. Emamifar A, Hangaard J, Hansen IM. Thyroid disorders in patients with newly diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis is associated with poor initial treatment response evaluated by disease activity score in 28 joints-C-reactive protein (DAS28-CRP): An observational cohort study. Medicine.2017;96(43).
15. Castaneda S, Gonzalez-Juanatey C, Gonzalez-Gay MA. Inflammatory arthritis and heart disease. Current pharmaceutical design. 2018;24(3):262-80.