Hydrogen sulphide, a highly toxic gas, can be used in crenotherapy to balance all metabolic processes (minerals, fats and proteins). The main aims of this study were to correlate the weather characteristics with the atmospheric H2S level and to evaluate the antidote activity of B12 Vitamin in the case of prolonged exposure to this compound. 46 volunteers, people from the medical staff of an important Romanian thermal water spring spa, with professional exposure at H2S, were enrolled in this study; numerical data about their blood pressure, atmospheric H2S concentration and about the weather conditions were collected every month for one year. The results indicate an improvement in the blood pressure of volunteers treated with Vitamin B12; no significant correlation between the concentration of total urinary sulphur and the concentration of atmospheric H2S level was found.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Fujita Y Fujino Y Onodera M et al. A fatal case of acute hydrogen sulfide poisoning caused by hydrogen sulfide: hydroxocobalamin therapy for acute hydrogen sulfide poisoning. J Anal Toxicol. 2011;35(2):119-23.
2. Păuncu E-A. Gaze si vapori iritanti si asfixianti. In: Cocârlă A. Medicină ocupațională vol. I. Cluj-Napoca: Ed. Medicală Universitară “Iuliu Hațieganu”;2009.
3. Wallace JL Wang R. Hydrogen sulfide-based therapeutics: Exploiting a unique but ubiquitous gasotransmitter. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2015;14(5):329-45.
4. Liu WQ Chai C Li XY et al. The cardiovascular effects of central hydrogen sulfide are related to K(ATP) channels activation. Physiol Res. 2011;60(5):729-38.
5. Streeter E Ng HH Hart JL. Hydrogen sulfide as a vasculoprotective factor. Med Gas Res. 2013;3(9):1-7.
6.Beltowski J Jamroz-Wisniewska A. Hydrogen sulfide and endotheliumdependent vasorelaxation. Molecules 2014;19(12):21183-99.
7. Cotrau M Proca M. Toxicologie analitica. Bucharest: Ed. Medicală; 1988.
8. Wang R. Physiological implications of hydrogen sulfide: a whiff exploration that blossomed. Physiol Rev. 2012;92:791-896.
9.The estimation of total sulphur in urine. europepmc.org/articles/pmc1259062/pdf/biochemj01174-0145.pdf.downloaded 25.01.2019.
10. Rosi-Marshall EJ Bernhardt ES Buso DC et al. Acid rain mitigation experiment shifts a forested watershed from a net sink to a net source of nitrogen. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2016:113(27):201607287.
11. Daldal H Beder B Serin S et al. Hydrogen sulfide toxicity in a thermal spring: a fatal outcome. Clin Toxicol (Phila).2010;48(7):755-6.
12. Fazlzadeh M Rostami R Baghani AN et al. Hydrogen sulfide concentrations in indoor air of thermal springs. Human Ecol Risk Assess An Int J. 2018;24(6):1441-52.