Aims. The aim of this study was to evaluate the association between neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio (NLR), platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio (PLR) and microalbuminuria in patients with normal estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR).
Methods. 174 patients who had eGFR ≥ 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 were studied. Patients were divided into two groups according to the urinary albumin excretion as microalbuminuric group (n = 105) and normoalbuminuric group (n = 69). NLR and PLR levels were calculated.
Results. NLR was significantly higher (p < 0.05) in microalbuminuric patients (1.91 ± 0.70) compared with normoalbuminuric patients (1.63 ± 0.53). A positive correlation was found between urine albumin excretion and NLR in the whole study group (r = 0.214, p < 0.005).
Conclusions. Higher NLR levels were found in microalbuminuric patients with normal eGFR. Also a significant positive correlation was observed between albuminuria and NLR.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. RAUNGKAEWMANEE S TANGJİTGAMOL S MANUSİRİVİTHAYA S SRİJAİPRACHAROEN S THAVARAMARA T. Platelet to lymphocyte ratio as a prognostic factor for epithelial ovarian cancer. J Gynecol Oncol.2012; 23:265–273.
2. JUNG MR PARK YK JEONG O SEON JW RYU SY KİM DY et al. Elevated preoperative neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio predicts poor survival following resection in late stage gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2011; 104(5):504–10.
3. KAYA A KURT M TANBOGA IH ISİK T GUNAYDİN ZY KAYA Y et al. Relation of neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio with the presence and severity of stable coronary artery disease. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2013; 20:473–7.
4. ERGELEN M UYAREL H ALTAY S KUL S AYHAN E ISİK T et al. Predictive value of elevated neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio in patients undergoing primary angioplasty for ST-Segment elevation myocardial ınfarction. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2014; 20:427–32.
5. SOLAK Y YİLMAZ MI SONMEZ A SAGLAM M CAKİR E UNAL HU et al. Neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio independently predicts cardiovascular events in patients with chronic kidney disease. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2013; 17(4):532-40.
6. AKBAS EM DEMİRTAS L OZCİCEK A TİMUROGLU A BAKİRCİ EM HAMUR H et al. Association of epicardial adipose tissue neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio and platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio with diabetic nephropathy. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2014; 7(7):1794-801.
7. AZAB B DAOUD J NAEEM FB NASR R ROSS J GHİMİRE P et al. Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio as a predictor of worsening renal function in diabetic patients (3-year follow-up study). Ren Fail. 2012; 34:571–6.
8. CİRAY H AKSOY AH ULU N CİZMECİOGLU A GAİPOV A SOLAK Y. Nephropathy but not Angiographically Proven Retinopathy is Associated with Neutrophil to Lymphocyte Ratio in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2015; 123(5):267-71.
9. HUANG W HUANG J LİU Q LİN F HE Z ZENG Z HE L. Neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio is a reliable predictive marker for early-stage diabetic nephropathy. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2015; 82(2):229-33.
10. AFSAR B. The relationship between neutrophil lymphocyte ratio with urinary protein and albumin excretion in newly diagnosed patients with type 2 diabetes. Am J Med Sci. 2014; 347(3):217-20.
11. WANG Y YUAN A YU C. Correlation between microalbuminuria and cardiovascular events. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2013; 6(10):973-8.
12. PÖSS J UKENA C MAHFOUD F GENSCH C WERNER C THOENES M et al. Physical activity is inversely associated with microalbuminuria in hypertensive patients at high cardiovascular risk: data from I-SEARCH. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2012; 19:1066–73.
13. HİLLEGE HL JANSSEN WM BAK AA DİERCKS GF GROBBEE DE CRİJNS HJ et al. Microalbuminuria is common also in a nondiabetic nonhypertensive population and an independent indicator of cardiovascular risk factors and cardiovascular morbidity. J Intern Med. 2001; 249:519–26.
14. KOROSHİ A. Microalbuminuria is it so important? Hippokratia. 2007; 3:105-7.
15. WRONE EM CARNETHON MR PANALİAPPAN LP et al. Association of dietary protein intake and microalbuminuria in healthy adults: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Kid Dis. 2003; 41:580–587.
16. JONES CA FRANCİS ME EBERHARDT MS CHAVERS B CORESH J ENGELGAU M et al. Microalbuminuria in the US population: third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Kidney Dis. 2002;39:445–59.
17. LEVEY AS BOSCH JP LEWİS JB et al. A more accurate method to estimate glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine: a new prediction equation. Modification of diet in Renal Disease Study Group (PDF). Ann Intern Med. 1999; 130:461.
18. AZAB B ZAHER M WEİSERBS KF TORBEY E LACOSSİERE K GADDAM S et al. Usefulness of neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio in predicting short- and long-term mortality after non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2010; 106:470–6.
19. NATİONAL KİDNEY FOUNDATİON KİDNEY DİSEASE OUTCOMES QUALİTY INİTİATİVE. CLİNİCAL PRACTİCE GUİDELİNES FOR CHRONİC KİDNEY DİSEASE; Evaluation Classification and Stratification. Am J Kidney Disease. 2002; 39(Suppl 1):S1–S264.
20. IMAMOVİC G TRNACEVİC S TABAKOVİC M et al. Microalbuminuria. The new marker for Balkan Endemic Nephropathy. BANTAO Journal. 2006; 4:58–59.
21. MOGENSEN CE CHRİSTENSEN CK. Predicting diabetic nephropathy in insulin dependent patients. New Eng J Med. 1984; 311:89–93.
22. RUGGENENTİ P REMUZZİ G. Time to abandon microalbuminuria. Kidney Int. 2006;70:1214–1222.
23. LEVEY AS DE JONG PE CORESH J et al. The definition classification and prognosis of chronic kidney disease: a KDIGO Controversies Conference report. Kidney Int. 2011; 80:17-28.
24. BİNNETOĞLU E ŞENGÜL E HALHALLI G DİNDAR S ŞEN H. Is neutrophil lymphocyte ratio an indicator for proteinuria in chronic kidney disease? J Clin Lab Anal. 2014; 28(6):487-92.
25. ERTURK M CAKMAK HA SURGİT O CELİK O AKSU HU AKGUL O et al. Predictive value of elevated neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio for long-term cardiovascular mortality in peripheral arterial occlusive disease. J Cardiol. 2014; 64(5):371-6.