Background. The prevalence of End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) is increasing in different parts of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), particularly Hail Region. Therefore, the aim of this study was to assess the respiratory complications that associated with ESRD.
Methods. In the present study, clinical, imaging and laboratory parameters were identified for 100 ESRD patients with ESRD who were referred to the Pulmonary Medicine Department at King Khalid Hospital.
Results. Pulmonary Edema, Pneumonia, and Pleural effusion were identified in 22%, 14%, and 16% of the referred ESRD patients, respectively.
Conclusion. Respiratory complications are common among ESRD patients in Hail Region.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. ZOCCALI C KRAMER A JAGER KJ. Chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease - a review produced to contribute to the report ‘the status of health in the European Union: towards a healthier Europe’. NDT Plus 2010; 3 (3): 213-224.
2. AHMED HG GINAWI IA AL-HAZIMI AM. Prevalence Estimates of Chronic Kidney Disease in Hail Region KSA: in a Comprehensive Survey. International Journal of Science and Research 2014; 3(7): 252-56.
3. AL-SAYYARI AA SHAHEENFA. End stage chronic kidney disease in Saudi Arabia. A rapidly changing scene. Saudi Med J. 2011; 32(4):339-46.
4. AHMED HG GINAWI IA AL-HAZIMI AM. Prevalence of Hypertension in Hail Region KSA: in a Comprehensive Survey. International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR) 2014; 17(2): 288-296.
5. AHMED HG GINAWI IA ALSHAMMRI FD ELASBALI AM ALTOM FM AL-HAZIMI AM. Current Burden of diabetes in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in an epidemiological survey. Egypt. Acad. J. Biolog. Sci. 2014; 6(2): 85- 91.
6. AHMED HG GINAWI IA ELASBALI AM ALTOM FM ASHANKYTY IM AL-HAZIMI AM. Prevalence of Obesity in Hail Region KSA: In a Comprehensive Survey. Journal of Obesity 2014; 2014 Article ID 961861 5 pages.
7. HASSAN IS GHALIB MB. Lung Disease in Relation to Kidney Diseases. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2005; 16:282-7.
8. HUNG J HARRIS PJ UREN RF TILLER DJ KELLY DT. Uremic cardiomyopathy-effect of hemodialysis on left ventricular function in end-stage renal failure. N Engl J Med. 1980; 302(10):547-51.
9. NIDUS BD MATALON R CANTACUZINO D EISINGER RP. Uremic pleuritis - a clinico-pathological entity. N Engl J Med 1969; 281(5):255-6.
10. MCMURRAY SD LUFT FC MAXWELL DR HAMBURGER RJ FUTTY D SZWED JJ et al. Prevailing patterns and predictor variables in patients with acute tubular necrosis. Arch Intern Med 1978; 138(6):950-5.
11. SARNAK MJ JABER BL. Pulmonary infectious mortality among patients with end-stage renal disease. Chest 2001; 120(6):1883-7.
12. HALLE MP HERTIG A KENGNE AP ASHUNTANTANG G RONDEAU E RIDEL C. Acute pulmonary oedema in chronic dialysis patients admitted into an intensive care unit. Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 2012; 27 (2): 603-607.
13. LEVIN A. Clinical epidemiology of cardiovascular disease in chronic kidney disease prior to dialysis. Semin Dial. 2003; 16:101-105.
14. YEOUDA E ARIEL R DORON B SHIMON RA. Prospective evaluation of pulmonary edema. Crit Care Med 2000; 28:330-335.
15. VIASUS D GARCIA-VIDAL C CRUZADO JM ADAMUZ J VERDAGUER R MANRESA F et al. Epidemiology clinical features and outcomes of pneumonia in patients with chronic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011; 26(9):2899-906.
16. MCDONALD HI THOMAS SL MILLETT ER NITSCH D. CKD and the risk of acute community-acquired infections among older people with diabetes mellitus: a retrospective cohort study using electronic health records. Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 66(1):60-8.
17. JAMES MT QUAN H TONELLI M MANNS BJ FARIS P LAUPLAND KB et al. CKD and risk of hospitalization and death with pneumonia. Am J Kidney Dis. 2009; 54(1):24-32.
18. RAY S MUKHERJEE S GANGULY J ABHISHEK K MITRAS S KUNDU S. A cross-sectional prospective study of pleural effusion among cases of chronic kidney disease. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2013; 55(4):209-13.
19. EPSTEIN M. Aging and the kidney. J Am SocNephrol. 1996; 7(8):1106-22.
20. GLASSOCK RJ RULE AD. The implications of anatomical and functional changes of the aging kidney: with an emphasis on the glomeruli. Kidney Int. 2012; 82(3):270-7.
21. KIM JH HWANG KH PARK KS KONG ID CHA SK. Biological Role of Anti-aging Protein Klotho. J Lifestyle Med. 2015; 5(1):1-6.
22. ORCHARDSON RL. Renal function and age. J Coll Gen Pract. 1966; 12(3):285-92.
23. WESSON LG. Physiology of the human kidney. Grune & Straton New York 1969: 96.
24. GINAWI IA ELASBALI AM AHMED HG ASHANKYTY IM ALTAMIMI T ALHASAN SM et al. Population screening for chronic kidney disease and its associated risk factors: a survey in Hail region KSA. J. Public Health Epidemiol 2013; 5(7): 285-90.
25. FALCONE M TISEO G RUSSO A GIORDO L MANZINI E BERTAZZONI G et al. Hospitalization for pneumonia is associated with decreased 1-year survival in patients with type 2 diabetes: results from a prospective cohort study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95(5):e2531.
26. CHOU CY WANG SM LIANG CC CHANG CT LIU JH WANG IK et al. Risk of pneumonia among patients with chronic kidney disease in outpatient and inpatient settings: a nationwide population-based study. Medicine (Baltimore) 2014; 93(27):e174.
27. KIM SM KIM KM KWON SK KIM HY. Erythropoiesis-stimulating agents and anemia in patients with non-dialytic chronic kidney disease. J Korean Med Sci. 2016; 31(1):55-60.
28. DE SEIGNEUX S LUNDBY AM BERCHTOLD L BERG AH SAUDAN P LUNDBY C. Increased synthesis of liver erythropoietin with CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 12. pii: ASN.2015050508. [Epub ahead of print]