A deep vein thrombosis was rarely associated with uterine myomas. Hereby, it is presented the case of a 40-year-old woman in which the clinical manifestation of the deep vein thrombosis revealed the further diagnosis of a large uterine myoma. The diagnosis, management and clinical outcome of the patient are emphasized and discussed. The management of a patient with a uterine myoma and deep vein thrombosis is challenging and implies a multidisciplinary team.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. GUPTA S MANYONDA IT. Acute complications of fibroids. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2009; 23:609-617.
2. STEWART EA. Clinical practice. Uterine fibroids. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:1646-1655.
3. VILOS GA ALLAIRE C LABERGE PY LEYLAND N VILOS AG MURJI A et al. The management of uterine leiomyomas. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2015; 37:157-181.
4. RIAT R CHOWDARY P MAVRIDES E MAGOS A GATT A. Is there an association between thrombosis and fibroids? A single centre experience and literature review. Int J Lab Hematol 2013; 35:e13-e16.
5. SHIOTA M KOTANI Y UMEMOTO M TOBIUME T TSURITANI M SHIMAOKA M et al: Deep-vein thrombosis is associated with large uterine fibroids. Tohoku J Exp Med 2011; 224:87-89.
6. HUFFMAN-DRACHT HB COATES WC. Uterine leiomyomata-related thromboembolic disease: A case report. J Emerg Med 2010; 39:e101-e104.
7. TANAKA H UMEKAWA T KIKUKAWA T NAKAMURA M TOYODA N. Venous thromboembolic diseases associated with uterine myomas diagnosed before hysterectomy: a report of two cases. J Obstet Gynaecol Res 2002; 28:300-303.
8. CUI X PEKER D GREER HO CONNER MG NOVAK L. Extramedullary hematopoiesis in uterine leiomyoma associated with numerous intravascular thrombi. Case Rep Pathol 2014; 2014:957395.
9. FERNANDES FL DINARDO CL TERRA-FILHO M. Uterine myoma as a cause of iliac vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: common disease rare complication. Respirol Case Rep 2014; 2:132-134.
10. IPPOLITO E BUORA A BELCARO G ALARI G ARPAIA G CIAMMAICHELLA G. Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in a patient affected by uterine fibroids: clinical case. Panminerva Med 2012; 54:97-99.
11. KHADEMVATANI K REZAEI Y KERACHIAN A SEYYED-MOHAMMADZAD MH ESKANDARI R ROSTAMZADEH A. Acute pulmonary embolism caused by enlarged uterine leiomyoma: a rare presentation. Am J Case Rep 2014; 15:300-303.
12. PAKIZ M BUT I. Management of acute deep vein thrombosis due to enlarged symptomatic uterine fibroids. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2009; 105:177-178.
13. PODDUTURI V ARMSTRONG-BRILEY DR GUILEYARDO JM. Sudden death by pulmonary thromboembolism due to a large uterine leiomyoma with a parasitic vein to the mesentery. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol 2014; 2014:181265.
14. ROSENFELD H BYARD RW. Lower extremity deep venous thrombosis with fatal pulmonary thromboembolism caused by benign pelvic space-occupying lesions - an overview. J Forensic Sci 2012; 57:665-668.
15. SRETTABUNJONG S. Systemic thromboembolism after deep vein thrombosis caused by uterine myomas. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 2013; 34:207-209.
16. BARSAM S BAGOT C PATEL R SIDHU PS DAVIES A ARYA R. Extrinsic venous compression: a sufficient explanation for venous thromboembolism due to massive fibroids? Thromb Haemost 2006; 96:694-696.
17. NELSON AL RITCHIE JJ. Severe anemia from heavy menstrual bleeding requires heightened attention. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015; 213:97-6.
18. RAJASEKHAR A. Inferior vena cava filters: current best practices. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2015; 39:315-327.