Vasculitis in rheumatoid arthritis (rheumatoid vasculitis, RV) has a heterogeneous clinical presentation that includes skin disorders, neuropathy, eye symptoms and systemic inflammation. Rheumatoid vasculitis is an unusual complication of longstanding, severe rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
While RA affects the body’s joints, vasculitis is a condition in which blood vessels become inflamed. Rheumatoid vasculitis occurs in approximately 2 to 5% of patients who have RA. The blood vessels most often involved are arteries that bring blood to the skin, nerves, and internal organs. Veins can also be involved. Rheumatoid vasculitis is skin condition that is a typical feature of RA, presenting as peripheral vascular lesions that are localized (purpura, cutaneous ulceration, and gangrene of the distal parts of the extremities). The cause of RV is unknown, but given the prominence of immune components and the pathologic changes in involved blood vessels, an autoimmune process is suggested. Compared to other forms of vasculitis, there has been relatively little research in recent years on the specific entity of RV. There is some evidence that the incidence of RV has decreased over the past several decades, perhaps because of a better treatment of the underlying RA. In the present review, we discuss the clinical features, laboratory tests, the pathogenesis of RV.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. ALAMANOS Y VOULGARI PV DROSOS AA. Incidence and prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis based on the 1987 American College of Rheumatology criteria: a systematic review. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2006; 36(3): 182-8.
2. VOLLERTSEN RS CONN DL. Vasculitis associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 1990; 16(2): 445-61.
3. KHASNIS A LANGFORD CA. Update on vasculitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009; 123: 1226-36.
4. YOUNG A KODURI G. Extra-articular manifestations and complications of rheumatoid arthritis. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2007; 21(5): 907-27.
5. GENTA MS GENTA RM GABAY C. Systemic rheumatoid vasculitis: a review. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 36: 88–98.
6. TURESSON C MATTESON EL. Vasculitis in rheumatoid arthritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2009; 21(1): 35-40.
7. WATTS RA MOONEY J LANE SE SCOTT DG. Rheumatoid vasculitis: becoming extinct? Rheumatology. 2004; 43: 920–3.
8. BARTELS CM BRIDGES AJ. Rheumatoid vasculitis: vanishing menace or target for new treatments? Curr Rheumatol Rep 2010; 12(6): 414-9.
9. MAKOL A MATTESON EL WARRINGTON KJ. Rheumatoid vasculitis: an update. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2015; 27(1): 63-70.
10. MAKOL A CROWSON CS WETTER DA SOKUMBI O MATTESON EL WARRINGTON KJ. Vasculitis associated with rheumatoid arthritis: a case-control study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2014; 53(5): 890-9.
11. NTATSAKI E MOONEY J SCOTT DG WATTS RA. Systemic rheumatoid vasculitis in the era of modern immunosuppressive therapy. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2014; 53(1): 145-52.
12. KANEKO S YAMASHITA H SUGIMORI Y TAKAHASHI Y KANEKO H KANO T MIMORI A. Rheumatoid arthritis-associated aortitis: a case report and literature review. Springerplus 2014; 3: 509.
13. JAMES W BERGER T ELSTON D. Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: Clinical Dermatology. (10th ed.). Saunders. 2005.
14. RAPINI RP BOLOGNIA JL JORIZZO JL. Dermatology: 2-Volume Set. St. Louis: Mosby. 2007.
15. MAGRO CM CROWSON AN. The spectrum of cutaneous lesions in rheumatoid arthritis: a clinical and pathological study of 43 patients. J Cutan Pathol 2003; 30(1): 1-10.
16. CHEN KR TOYOHARA A SUZUKI A MIYAKAWA S. Clinical and histopathological spectrum of cutaneous vasculitis in rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Dermatol 2002; 147(5): 905-13
17. PUÉCHAL X SAID G HILLIQUIN P COSTE J JOB-DESLANDRE C LACROIX C MENKÈS CJ. Peripheral neuropathy with necrotizing vasculitis in rheumatoid arthritis. A clinicopathologic and prognostic study of thirty-two patients. Arthritis Rheum 1995; 38(11): 1618-29.
18. ZOLCINSKI M BAZAN-SOCHA S ZWOLINSKA G MUSIAL J. Central nervous system involvement as a major manifestation of rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatol Int. 2008; 28: 281–3.
19. AKROUT R BENDJEMAA S FOURATI H EZZEDDINE M HACHICHA I MHIRI C BAKLOUTI S. Cerebral rheumatoid vasculitis: a case report. J Med Case Rep 2012; 6: 302.
20. MRABET D MEDDEB N AJLANI H SAHLI H SELLAMI S. Cerebral vasculitis in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis. Joint Bone Spine 2007; 74(2): 201-4.
21. CABALLOL PONS N MONTALÀ N VALVERDE J BRELL M FERRER I MARTINEZ-YÉLAMOS S. Isolated cerebral vasculitis associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Joint Bone Spine 2010; 77(4): 361-3.
22. LASKARI K AHMADI-SIMAB K LAMKEN M et al. Are anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide autoantibodies seromarkers for rheumatoid vasculitis in a cohort of patients with systemic vasculitis? Ann Rheum Dis. 2010; 69: 469–71.
23. SPOERL D PERS YM JORGENSEN C. Anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in rheumatoid arthritis: two case reports and review of literature. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 2012; 8(1): 19.
24. RUIZ-ZORRILLA A PICAZO M GONZÁLEZ-ÁLVARO I GÓMEZ-GIL R GARCIA DE VICUNA R. Vasculitis associated with anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies in rheumatoid arthritis. Report of a case of microscopic polyangiitis and another case of Wegener’s granulomatosis. Reumatol Clin 2005; 1(1): 52-5.