Background and Aims: Diabetes Mellitus may affect the patient’s quality of life and sleep that lead to reduced satisfaction of life. Aim of study was to improve quality of life and sleep along with satisfaction of life by giving physical therapy (pilates based on mat exercise) intervention. Material and Methods: Study design: experimental study, same subject design (pre-post). Sample size: 30 individuals (13 males,17 females) with mean age 46.05±9.01, mean weight 70.48±12.11 and mean duration of diabetes mellitus 7.88±4.49. Intervention: Pilates based mat exercises were given in experimental group. Duration of treatment:30-40minutes.Number of session:5 sessions/week. Total duration: 4 weeks. Outcomes measures: Final Qolid Questionnaire, Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and Satisfaction with Life Scale. Statistics: descriptive statistics used to measure mean± standard deviation and inferential statistics related t-test used to compare pre and post reading. Results: The results showed highly significant effect of exercise on quality of life and quality of sleep and significant result was found on satisfaction with life. Conclusion: Pilates based mat exercises shows positive effect on all parameters (quality of life, quality of sleep and satisfaction with life) of patients having type 2 diabetes mellitus.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Hu FB. Sedentary lifestyle and risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes;Lipids.;38 (2): 103-8 2003.(abstract)
2. Kohei KAKU. pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes and its treatment policy. NMAJ; 53 (1): 41-46 2010.
3. Olokoba AB Obateru OA Olokoba LB. type 2 diabetes mellitus: a review of current trends; Oman Med J; 27 (4): 269-73 2012.
4. Hassan BAR. Overview on diabetes mellitus (type 2); J Chromat Seperation Techniq; 4 (3) 2013.
5. Wang X Chen J Liu X et al. Identifying patterns of lifestyle behaviours among people with type 2 diabetes in Tianjin China: a latent class analysis;Diabete Ther.; 8(6) 1379-1392 2017.
6. Nirmala PV Gudivada M Lashmi CV. Comparative study of the prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in various demographic regions of Andhra Pradesh India: a population based study;Int J MCH AIDS; 5 (2): 103-111 2016.
7. Joshi SR Parikh RM. India- Diabetes capital of the world: now heading towards hypertension; J Assoc Physicians India; 55: 323-4 2007.
8. Wild S Roqlic G Green A Sicree R King H. global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030; Diabetes Care27 (5): 1047-53 2004.
9. Shelia J Virginia M. et al. health united states 2016 with chartbook on long term trends in health trend tables (table no 19- leading cause of death and numbers of death); Hyattsville DHHS publication (publication no 2017-1232) united state page no- 128 2017.
10. Global report on diabetes World Health Organization. Global burden of diabetes WHO publication Switzerland printed in France pg no 21-30 2016.
11. Correa K Gouvea GR Viera da Silva MA et al. Quality of life and characteristics of diabetic patients; Ciencia & Saude Coletiva 22(3):921-930 2017.
12. Fontela PC Winkelmann ER Pretto LM Berlezi EM. sleep respiratory disorders and clinical profile in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus; Int Arch
Otorhinolaryngol; 19 1): 67-73 2015.
13. Lee JA Sunwoo S Kim YS et al. The effect of sleep quality on the development of type 2 diabetes in primary care patients; J Korean Med Sci; 31 (2): 240-6 2016.
14. Chew BH Vos RC Stellato RK Rutten GEHM. Diabetes related distress and depressive symptoms are not merely negative over a 3 year period in Malaysian adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus receiving regular primary diabetic care. Front Psychol; 8: 1-8 2017.
15. Munshi MN. Cognitive dysfunction in older adults with diabetes: what a clinician needs to know; Diabetes Care; 40 (4): 461-467 2017.
16. Vancini RL Rayes ABR Lira CAB Sarro KJ Andrade MS. Pilates and aerobic training improve levels of depression anxiety and quality of life in overweight and obese individuals; Arq Neuropsiquiatr; 75 (12): 850-857 2017.
17. Curi VS Vilaca J Haas AN Fernandes HM. Effects of 16 weks of pilates on health perception and sleep quality among elderly women; Arch Gerontol Geriatr; 74 (2018):118-122 2018.
18. Yun SM Park SK Lim HS. Influence of pilates training on the quality of life of chronic stroke patients; J Phys Ther Sci; 29 (10): 1830-1835 2017.
19. Menezes A. The complete guide to Joseoh H. Pilates’ techniques of physical conditioning 2nd edition Hunter House Inc. Publishers Australia page no: 84-175 2004.
20. Nagpal J Kumar A Kakar S Bhartia A. The development of quality of life instrument for Indian Diabetes patients (QOLID): a validation and reliability study in middle and higher income groups; J Assoc Physicians India; 58: 295-304 2010.
21. Backhaus J Junqhanns K Broocks A Riemann D Hohagen F. Test retest reliability and validity of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index in primary insomnia; J Psychosom Res; 53 (3): 734-40 2002.
22. Diener E Emmons RA Larsen RJ Griffin S. The satisfaction with life scale; J Pers Assess; 49 (1): 71- 5 1985.
23. Yucel H Uysal O. Pilates based mat exercises and parameters of quality of life in women with type 2 diabetes; iran Red Crescent Med J; 18 (3):1-6 2016.