Background and aims: Diabetes is considered as the most prevalent disease due to metabolic disorders. This study aimed to determine the effect of an educational on the quality of life) QOL( in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM ). Material and methods: This quasi-experimental study was conducted in the form of a pre-test/post-test with intervention. The statistical sample of this study included 70 patients with type 2 diabetes living in the rural areas in the city of Ilam (west of Iran). The data were analyzed using the SPSS software version 20 via descriptive statistics, paired t-student test, independent samples t-student test, and ANOVA. Results: Except social role functioning, all aspects of QOL significantly increased after intervention (p<0.001). Regardless of age groups, gender, and educational level the QOL scores increased at follow -up (p<0.001). Conclusions: Education to patients with type 2 diabetes leads to increased means of all dimensions of QOL that reflect the effects of educational interventions on each domain.
1. World Health Organization. Definition and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and intermediate Hyperglycemia: WHO/IDF; 2006. Accessed at: http://www.who.int/diabetes/publications/Definition%20and%20diagnosis%20of%20diabetes_new.pdf
2. Moayeri A, Mohamadpour M, Mousavi SF et al. Fracture risk in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and possible risk factors: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Ther Clin Risk Manag 11: 455-468, 2017.
3. Sobhani S, Asayesh H, Sharifi F et al. Prevalence of diabetic peripheral neuropathy in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Diabetes Metab Disord 13: 97-105, 2014.
4. Wild S. Global prevalence of diabetes: eliminates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care 27: 1047-53, 2004.
5. World Health Organization. Prevalence of diabetes in the Who Eastern Mediterranean Region Diabetes Program. Accessed Oct 19, 2006. Accessed at: http://www.who.int/diabetes/facts/world_figures/en/index2.html
6. Aghamolaei T, Eftekhar H, Mohammad K et al. Influence of educational intervention using interaction approach on behavior change, hemoglobin Alc and health - related quality of life in diabetic patients. J Sch Public Health Inst Public Health Res 3: 1-2, 2005.
7. Javanbakht M, Abolhasani F, Mashayekhi A, Baradaran HR, Jahangiri noudeh Y. Health Related Quality of Life in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Iran: A National Survey. PLoS ONE 7(8): e44526, 2012.
8. Massi-Benedetti M. The cost of Diabetes Type II in Europe. The CODE-2 study. Diabetologia 45: S1-S4, 2002.
9. Gries FA, Alberti KG. Management of noninsulin dependent diabetes mellitus in Europe: A consensus statement. IDF Bulletin 32: 169-174, 1987.
10. Alavi M, Ghofranipour F, Ahmadi F et al. Quality of life in patients with diabetes mellitus referred to the diabetes association of Iran. Behbood J 8: 47-56, 2004.
11. Kasper DL, Braunwald E, Fauci AS et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 16th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Publisher. pp. 125-126, 2005.
12. Bobes J, Gonzalez MP, Bascaran MT, Arango C, Saiz PA, Bousone M.. Qualily of life and disability in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Eur Psychiatry 16: 239-45, 2001.
13. Green LW, Kreuter MW. Health promotion planning: An education and ecological approach, 3th ed .London: Mayfield publishing Co, PP 54-55, 1999.
14. Darvishpoor Kakhki A, Abed Saeidi ZH, Yaghmaei F, Alavi Majd H, Montazeri A. Survey correlation between quality of life and disease and demographic variables of diabetic patients referred to Tehran hospitals in 2004, Iranian J of Endocrinol & Metab 29: 56-49, 2006.
15. Snoek FJ. Quality of life: A closer look at measuring patient’s wellbeing. Diab Spectrum 13: 24-31, 2000.
16. Baghianimoghadam MH, Afkhami, Ardekani M, Baghianimoghadam B. Effect of education on improvement of quality of life by SF-20 in type 2 diabetic patients. Acta Med Indones 41: 175-80, 2009.
17. Roman SH, Harris MI. Management of diabetes mellitus from a public health perspective. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 26:443- 474, 1997.
18. Mensing C, Boucher J, Cypress M et al. National standards of diabetes self - management education. Diabetes Care 24: 126- 49, 2001.
19. Reddy SS. Health Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes. Int J Clin Pract Suppl 113: 46-53, 2000.
20. Alavi N, Ghofranipour F. Developing A Culturally Valid And Reliable Quality of Life Questionnaire For Diabetes Mellitus, East Mediter Health J 13: 177-185, 2007.
21. Montazeri A, Goshtasebi A, Vahdaninia M et al. The short form health survey (SF-36): Translation and validation study of Iranian version. Payesh J 5: 49-56, 2005.
22. Khaledi S, Moridi G, Gharibi F. A survey the eight dimensions of quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes referred to the Diabetes Center in Sanandaj. Fasa Univ of Med Sci J 1: 29-37, 2009.
23. Lloyd A, Sawyer W, Hopkinson P. Impact of long-term complications on quality of Life in the patients type2 diabetes not using insulin. Value Health 4: 392-400, 2001.
24. Glasgow RE, Ruggiero L, Eakin EG et al. Quality of life and associated characteristics in a large national sample of adults with diabetes , Diabetes Care 20: 562- 567, 1997.
25. Saeid PJ, Jafari M, Ghazi Asgar M et al. The Impact of Self-care Education on Life Quality of Diabetic Patients .J of health Administration 16: 26-36, 2012.
26. Rakhshandehro S, Heidarnia AR, Rajab A. Determination of health education on quality of life in type 2 diabetic patients. Daneshvar Med J 13: 15-20, 2006.
27. Borhani M, Rastgarimehr B, Shafieyan Z et al. Effects of predisposing, reinforcing and enabling factors on self-care behaviors of the patients with diabetes mellitus in the Minoodasht city, Iran. J Diabetes Metab Disord 14: 14: 27, 2015.
28. Dizaji MB, Taghdisi MH, Solhi M et al. Effects of educational intervention based on PRECEDE model on self care behaviors and control in patients with type 2 diabetes in 2012. J Diabetes Metab Disord 16: 72-78, 2014.
29. Bagheri H. A survey in comparison of quality of life of diabetic patient's type 2 on basis of complication of diabetes in Emamhossein Hospital of Shahedieh: Abstract book of special diseases congress; Kermanshah Uni of Med Sci J 1: 25-26, 2004.
30. Jacobson AM, Samson JA, Groot M. The evaluation of two measures of QOL in patients with type 1 and type two diabetes. Diabetes Care 17: 264- 74, 1994.
31. Paimani T. Quality of Life in patients with chronic complications of diabetes Master degree thesis. Tehran Uni Nursing J 4: 67-75, 2004.
32. Monjamed Z, Aliasqhar Poor M, Mehran A et al. The Quality of Life in patients with chronic complications. J of HAYAT 12: 55-66, 2006.
33. Dehghan H, Charkazi A, Kouchaki GM et al. General self-efficacy and diabetes management selfefficacy of diabetic patients referred to diabetes clinic of Aq Qala, North of Iran. J Diabetes Metab Disord 15: 16- 25, 2017.
34. Fuladvandi M, Aziz Zadeh Foroozi M, Asad Abadi A, Fuladvandi GR, Lashkari T, Malekian L. Effectiveness of stress management training on improved quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes. JHPM 3: 16-24, 2014.
35. Zare Bahram Abadi M, Vafaei Baneh F, Ghaderi A, Taghvaei D. The effectiveness of cognitive behavioral therapy on the quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes. J of Diabetes and Lip of Iran 12: 225-232, 2012.
36. Tang WL, Wang YM, Du WM, Cheng NN, Chen BY. Assessment of quality of life and relevant factors in elderly diabetic patients in the Shanghai community. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 15: 123-130, 2006.