Background and aims: Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFDL) is a multifactorial condition with a wide spectrum of histological severities, from asymptomatic hepatic steatosis to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) with or without fibrosis. NAFLD is highly common and potentially serious in children and adolescents and affects approximately one third of the general population. It is closely associated with obesity, insulin resistance and dyslipidemia. NASH is a histological diagnosis and has a great significance because it can progress to cirrhosis, liver failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), and is associated with both increased cardiovascular and liver related mortality. The purpose of this review is to summarize the evidence for current potential therapies of NAFLD.
Material and Methods: We searched MEDLINE from 2010 to the present to identify the pharmacological approaches for NAFLD.
Results and conclusions: NAFLD may be a new risk factor for extrahepatic diseases such as cardiovascular disease (CVD), chronic kidney disease (CKD), colorectal cancer, type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and osteoporosis. Currently there is no specific targeted treatment for NAFLD/NASH.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Gressner OA Gao C. Monitoring fibrogenic progression in the liver. Clin Chim Acta 433: 111–122 2014.
2. Crespo M Lappe S Feldstein AE Alkhouri N. Similarities and differences between pediatric and adult nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Metabolism 65: 1161-1171 2016.
3. Loomba R Sanyal AJ. The global NAFLD epidemic. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 10: 686–90 2013.
4. Malhotra N Beaton MD. Management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in 2015. World J Hepatol 7: 2962-2967 2015.
5. Satapathy SK. Sanyal AJ. Novel treatment modalities for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Trends Endocrinol Metab 21: 668–67 2010.
6. Lewis JR Mohanty SR. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: A review and update. Dig Dis Sci 55: 560–578 2010.
7. Koyama Y Xu J Liu X Brenner DA. New developments on the treatment of liver fibrosis. Dig Dis 34: 589–596 2016.
8. Ratziu V Goodman Z Sanyal A. Current efforts and trends in the treatment of NASH. J Hepatol 62: S65–S75 2015.
9. Hameed B Terrault N. Emerging therapies for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Liver Dis 20: 365–385 2016.
10. Krawczyk M Bonfrate L Portincasa P. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 24: 695–708 2010.
11. Yki-Järvinen H. Thiazolidinediones. N Engl J Med 351: 1106–1118 2004.
12. Mazzella N Ricciardi LM Mazzotti A Marchesini G. The role of medications for the management of patients with NAFLD. Clin Liver Dis 18: 73–89 2014.
13. Aithal GP Thomas JA Kaye PV et al. Randomized placebo-controlled trial of pioglitazone in nondiabetic subjects with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Gastroenterology 135: 1176–84 2008.
14. Sanyal AJ Chalasani N Kowdley KV et al. Pioglitazone vitamin E or placebo for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. N Engl J Med 362: 1675–1685 2010.
15. Mudaliar S Henry RR. Effects of incretin hormones on beta-cell mass and function body weight and hepatic and myocardial function. Am J Med 123: S19–27 2010.
16. Ohki T Isogawa A Iwamoto M et al. The effectiveness of liraglutide in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus compared to sitagliptin and pioglitazone. Scientific World Journal 2012: 1-8 2012. Article ID 496453 DOI:10.1100/2012/496453
17. Armstrong MJ Gaunt P Aithal GP et al. Liraglutide safety and efficacy in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (LEAN): a multicentre doubleblind randomised placebo-controlled phase 2 study. Lancet 387: 679–90 2016.
18. Athyros VG Tziomalos K Gossios TD et al. Safety and efficacy of long-term statin treatment for cardiovascular events in patients with coronary heart disease and abnormal liver tests in the Greek Atorvastatin and Coronary Heart Disease Evaluation (GREACE) Study: a posthoc analysis. Lancet 376: 1916–1922 2010.
19. Pastori D Polimeni L Baratta F Pani A Del Ben M Angelico F. The efficacy and safety of statins for the treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Dig Liver Dis 47: 4–11 2015.
20. Foster T Budoff MJ Saab S Ahmadi N Gordon C Guerci AD. Atorvastatin and antioxidants for the treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: the St Francis Heart Study randomized clinical trial. Am J Gastroenterol 106: 71-77 2011.
21. Takahashi Y Sugimoto K Inui H Fukusato T. Current pharmacological therapies for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease/nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. World J Gastroenterol 21: 3777-3785 2015.
22. Barb D Portillo-Sanchez P Cusi K. Pharmacological management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease Metabolism 65: 1183-1195 2016.
23. Paschos P Tziomalos K. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and the renin-angiotensin system: Implications for treatment. World J Hepatol 4: 327-331 2012.
24. Al-Mallah M Khawaja O Sinno M Alzohaili O Samra AB. Do angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers prevent diabetes mellitus? A meta-analysis. Cardiol J 17: 448-456 2010.
25. Lau E Carvalho D Freitas P. Gut microbiota: Association with NAFLD and metabolic disturbances. Biomed Res Int 2015: 1-9 2015. doi:10.1155/2015/979515
26. Frasinariu OE Ceccarelli S Alisi A Moraru E Nobili V. Gut-liver axis and fibrosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: An input for novel Therapies. Dig Liver Dis 45: 543–551 2013.
27. Than NN Newsome PN. A concise review of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Atherosclerosis 239: 192-202 2015.
28. Ma YY Li L Yu CH Shen Z Chen LH Li YM. Effects of probiotics on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol 19: 6911-6918 2013.
29. Dyson JK Anstee QM McPherson S. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a practical approach to treatment. Postgrad Med J 91: 92–101 2015.
30. Li W Zheng L Sheng C Cheng X Qing L Qu S. Systematic review on the treatment of pentoxifylline in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Lipids Health Dis 10: 49 2011.
31. Zein CO Yerian LM Gogate P et al. Pentoxifylline improves nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Hepatology 54: 1610-1619 2011.
32. Baniasadi N Salajegheh F Pardakhty A et al. Effects of pentoxifylline on non-alcoholic steatohepatitis: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial in Iran. Hepatitis Monthly 15: e32418 2015.
33. Du J Ma YY Yu CH Li YM. Effects of pentoxifylline on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: A meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol 20: 569-577 2014.
34. Cave MC Clair HB Hardesty JE et al. Nuclear receptors and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Biochim Biophys Acta 1859: 1083-99.
35. Ali AH Carey EJ Lindor KD. Recent advances in the development of farnesoid X receptor Agonists. Ann Transl Med 3: 5 2015.
36. Neuschwander-Tetri BA Loomba R Sanyal AJ et al. Farnesoid X nuclear receptor ligand obeticholic acid for non-cirrhotic non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (FLINT): a multicentre randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 385: 956-965 2015.
37. Ratziu V Sheikh MY Sanyal AJ et al. A phase 2 randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study of GS-9450 in subjects with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Hepatology 55: 419-428 2012.