Background and Aims: Comparative estimation of metabolic syndrome (MS) mediated changes of blood, cardio-vascular system, liver, pancreas and kidneys morphologic structure in adult and pubertal rats. Materials and Methods: Wistar albino male rats of two age categories (young animals of 21 days age (50-70g) and adults (160-180g)) were divided into 4 groups (8 animals in each): 1 - Control 1 (intact young rats); 2 - Control 2 (intact adult rats); 3 - MS3 (young rats with MS) and 4 - MS4 (adult rats with MS). The metabolic syndrome model was induced by full replacement of drinking water with 20% fructose solution (200g/l). After 60 days of MS modeling, determination of rat hematological and serum biochemical parameters, glucose tolerance, blood pressure, liver rates of lipid peroxydation and chromatin DNA fragmentation, as well as morphological macroscopic and microscopic studies were carried out. Results: In pubertal rats, glucose tolerance, hypertension, blood clotting disturbances, DNAfragmentation and lipid peroxydation rates were affected more profoundly, while mature rats showed greater Pseudo Pelger-Huet anomaly development, serum cholesterol and lipoproteins increases, liver and kidney morphology changes. Conclusions: Our current data combined with previous results of other authors allow us to conclude that an animal model (Wistar rats) of MS is quite easily obtained in a full age range, from juvenile to mature rats.
1. Aydin S, Aksoy A, Aydin S et al. Today's and yesterday's of pathophysiology: biochemistry of metabolic syndrome and animal models. Nutrition 30: 1-9, 2014.
2. Ghezzi AC, Cambi LT, Botezelli JD, Ribeiro C, Dalia RA, Rostom de Mell MA. Metabolic syndrome markers in Wistar rats of different ages. Diabetol Metab Syndr 4: 16, 2012.
3. Santoro N, Weiss R. Metabolic syndrome in youth: current insights and novel serum biomarkers. Biomark Med 6: 719-727, 2012.
4. Abdulla MH, Sattar MA, Abdullah NA, Hye Khan MA, Anand Swarup KR, Johns EJ. The contribution of α1B-adrenoceptor subtype in the renal vasculature of fructose-fed Sprague-Dawley rats. Eur J Nutr 50: 251-260, 2011.
5. Guskova ТА. Rules for preclinical investigation of pharmacological compounds safety and effectiveness. In: Rules of Good Laboratory Practice in Russian Federation - GLP or RDI ZAO IIА. Guskova ТА, Lubimov BI, Arzamastsev EV(ed). Remedium, Moscow, p.24, 2000. (in Russian)
6. Khromov OS, Dobrelya NV. Experimental study of phosphatidyl choline liposomes as new hipotensive drug. Bulletin of Dnipropetrovsk University (Visnyk Dnipropetrovskogo Universitetu). Biology. Ecology 1(16): 197 - 203, 2008. (in Russian)
7. Kamath SA, Kummerow FA, Narayan KA. A simple method for the isolation of rat liver microsomes. FEBS Lett 17: 90-92, 1971.
8. Clark G. Staining Procedures (3rd ed). Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, pp.131-132, 1973.
9. Romeis B. Study of the cell and its components. In: Mikroskopische Technik. Romeis B.(ed). Inostrannaya literatura, Moscow, pp.222-307, 1953. (in Russian)
11. Shayakhmetova GM, Bondarenko LB, Kovalenko VM. Damage of testicular cell macromolecules and reproductive capacity of male rats following co-administration of ethambutol, rifampicin, isoniazid and pyrazinamide. Interdiscip Toxicol 5: 9-14, 2012.
12. Stalnaya ID, Gharishvili TG. Method for malone dialdehyde determination with thiobarbituric acid. In: Modern Methods in Biology. Orechovich VN (ed). Меdicine, Мoscow, pp. 66-68, 1977. (in Russian)
13. Daskalopoulou SS, Mikhailidis DP, Elisaf M. Prevention and treatment of metabolic syndrome. Angiology 55: 589-612, 2004.
14. Ramirez I. Resistance to dietary hyperphagia in juvenile rats. J Nutr119:1333-1339,1989.
15. Taniguchi A, Kono T, Okuda H et al. Neutral glyceride synthesis from glucose in human adipose tissue: comparison between growing and mature subjects. J Lipid Res 27: 925-929, 1986.
16. Ruf W, Samad F. Tissue factor pathways linking obesity and inflammation. Hamostaseologie 35(2), 2015.
17. Cunningham JM, Patnaik MM, Hammerschmidt DE, Vercellotti GM. Historical perspectives and clinical implications of the Pelger-Huet cell. Am Journal Hematol 84: 116-119, 2009.
18. Gingold N, Papahagi T, Gottlieb J. Another family with the “Pelger-Huet” anomaly associated with familial diabetes. Study including 4 generations. (Preliminary note). Stud Cernet Med Interna 40: 287-293, 1965. (in Romanian)
19. Ni S, Wang X, Wang J, Zhao Z, Zeng S. The effects of a high-fat and high-energy diet on the hepatic expression of CYP3A in developing female rats. Xenobiotica 42: 587-595, 2012.
20. Bulava SV, Zamyshliayev АV. Hemorheological profile with metabolic disorders. Yaroslavl Pedagogical Bulletin 4: 161-164, 2012. (in Russian)
21. Erol A. Systemic DNA damage response and metabolic syndrome as a premalignant state. Curr Mol Med 10: 321-334, 2010.
22. Wang X, Lu Y, Cederbaum AI. Induction of cytochrome P450 2E1 increases hepatotoxicity caused by Fas agonistic Jo2 antibody in mice. Hepatology 42: 400-410, 2005.
23. Vartanian V, Lowell B, Minko IG et al. The metabolic syndrome resulting from a knockout of the NEIL1 DNA glycosylase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 1864-1869, 2006.
24. Mercer JR, Cheng KK, Figg N et al. DNA damage links mitochondrial dysfunction to atherosclerosis and the metabolic syndrome. Circ Res 107: 1021-1031, 2010.
25. MATTSON MP. Roles of the lipid peroxidation product 4-hydroxynonenal in obesity, the metabolic syndrome, and associated vascular and neurodegenerative disorders. Exp Gerontol 10: 625-633, 2009.
26. Roberts CK, Barnard RJ, Sindhu RK, Jurczak M, Ehdaie A, Vaziri ND. Oxidative stress and dysregulation of NAD(P)H oxidase and antioxidant enzymes in diet-induced metabolic syndrome. Metabolism 55: 928-934, 2006.
27. Takahashi I, Kohi F, Inagaki N et al. Superoxide anion (O2-) production by neutrophils in refractory anemia with excess of blasts. Acta Med Okayama 37: 417-421, 1983.
28. Subramanian G, Chaudhury P, Malu K et al. Lamin B receptor regulates the growth and maturation of myeloid progenitors via its sterol reductase domain: implications for cholesterol biosynthesis in regulating myelopoiesis. J Immunol 188: 85-102, 2012.