1 Faculty of Medicine "Titu Maiorescu", Bucharest, Romania / Clinic of Geriatrics, Chronic Diseases Hospital "Sf. Luca", Bucharest / University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Carol Davila", Bucharest, Romania
2 Clinic of Geriatrics, Chronic Diseases Hospital "Sf. Luca", Bucharest / University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Carol Davila", Bucharest, Romania
3 Clinic of Geriatrics, Chronic Diseases Hospital "Sf. Luca", Bucharest
4 University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Carol Davila", Bucharest, Romania / National Institute of Diabetes, Nutrition and Metabolic Diseases “Prof. NC Paulescu”, Bucharest, Romania
With age, arteries become more rigid and pulse waves propagate faster. The pathogenic mechanisms that causes vascular stiffness in type 2 diabetes are complex but incompletely understood. An important element in the development of this phenomenon appears to be insulin resistance. One of the first line health problems that persist in the present is the failure to detect cardiovascular diseases in the preclinical stage which is important since more frequent cardiac events (myocardial infarction, sudden death) occur in people without obvious cardiovascular pathology in the medical history. One of the degenerative diseases with the greatest impact on the autonomy is dementia of elderly people. Recent studies have shown the association and even the possible involvement of cardiovascular risk factors and arterial stiffness in the pathogenesis of dementia and cognitive impairment. Although pulse wave velocity in the aorta is related to subclinical coronary atherosclerosis (being an important biomarker of cardiovascular risk in asymptomatic individuals), arterial stiffness is also a predictor of cognitive performance, cognitive decline or dementia.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Barret KE Barman SM Boitano S Brooks HL. Section VI: Cardiovascular Physiology. In: Ganong’s review of medical physiology 23rd Edition. Ed. McGraw Hill Singapore pp 510-512 2010.
2. O’Rourke MF Staessen JA Vlachopoulos C Duprez D Plante GE. Clinical applications of arterial stiffness; definitions and reference values. Am J Hypertens 15: 426-444 2002.
3. Yki-Jarvinen H Westerbacka J. Insulin resistance arterial stiffness and wave reflection. Adv Cardiol 44: 252-260 2007.
4. Zieman SJ Melenovsky V Kass DA. Mechanisms pathophysiology and therapy of arterial stiffness. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25: 932-943 2005.
5. Airaksinen KE Salmela PI Linnaluoto MK Ikäheimo MJ Ahola K Ryhänen LJ. Diminished arterial elasticity in diabetes: association with fluorescent advanced glycosylation end products in collagen. Cardiovasc Res 27: 942-945 1993.
6. Ionescu A Berteanu M. Influenţa efortului fizic asupra rigidităţii arteriale. Palestrica Mileniului IIICivilizaţie şi Sport 11: 153-158 2010.
7. Ciobanu N. Elasticitatea arterială şi indicii hemodinamicii centrale: evaluare şi concepte patofiziologice de interdependenţă. Teza doctorat IMSP Chişinău pp. 11-13 2012.
8. Hanon O Haulon S Lenoir H et al. Relationship between arterial stiffness and cognitive function in elderly subjects with complaints of memory loss. Stroke 36: 2193-2197 2005.
9. Qiu C Winblad B Viitanen M Fratiglioni L. Pulse pressure and risk of Alzheimer disease in persons aged 75 years and older: a community based longitudinal study. Stroke 34: 594-599 2003.
10. O'Rourke MF Safar ME. Relationship between aortic stiffening and microvascular disease in brain and kidney: Cause and logic of therapy. Hypertension 46: 200-204 2005.
11. Wolfson C Wolfson DB Asgharian M et al. A reevaluation of the duration of survival after the onset of dementia. N Engl J Med 34: 1111-1116 2001.
12. Ries F Horn R Hillekamp J Honisch C König M Solymosi L. Differentiation of multi-infarct and Alzheimer dementia by intracranial hemodynamic parameters. Stroke 24: 228-235 1993.
13. Demchuk AM Burgin WS Christou I et al. Thrombolysis in brain ischemia (TIBI) transcranial Doppler flow grades predict clinical severity early recovery and mortality in patients treated with intravenous tissue plasminogen activator. Stroke 32: 89-93 2001.
14. Pase MP Natalie AH Grima NA Pipingas A O’Rourke MF. Arterial stiffness as a cause of cognitive decline and dementia: A systematic review and metaanalysis. Intern Med J 42: 808-815 2012.
15. Vlachopoulos C Aznaouridis K Stefanadis C. Prediction of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality with arterial stiffness: a systematic review and metaanalysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 55: 1318-1327 2010.
16. Waldstein SR Rice SC Thayer JF Najjar SS Scuteri A Zonderman AB. Pulse pressure and pulse wave velocity are related to cognitive decline in the Baltimore longitudinal study of aging. Hypertension 51: 99-104 2008.
17. Benetos A Watfa G Hanon O et al. Pulse wave velocity is associated with 1-year cognitive decline in the elderly older than 80 years: the PARTAGE Study. J Am Med Dir Assoc 13: 239-243 2012.
18. Henskens LH Kroon AA Van Oostenbrugge RJ et al. Increased aortic pulse wave velocity is associated with silent cerebral small-vessel disease in hypertensive patients. Hypertension 52: 1120-1126 2008.
19. Weber T Auer J O’Rourke MF et al. Arterial stiffness wave reflections and the risk of coronary artery disease. Circulation 109: 184-189 2004.
20. Laurent S Cockcroft J Van Bortel L et al. Expert consensus document on arterial stiffness: Methodological issues and clinical applications. Eur Heart J 27: 2588-2605 2006.
21. The Reference Values for Arterial Stiffness' Collaboration. Determinants of pulse wave velocity in healthy people and in the presence of cardiovascular risk factors: establishing normal and reference values. Eur Heart J 31: 2338-2350 2010.
22. Grassi G Borghi C. Central blood pressure as estimate of cardiovascular risk: potentials and limitations. J Hypertens 26: 16-17 2008.
23. Pannier B Guerin AP Marchais SJ Safar ME London GM. Stiffness of capacitive and conduit arteries: prognostic significance for end-stage renal disease patients. Hypertension 45: 592-596 2005.
24. Kizu A Koyama H Tanaka S et al. Arterial wall stiffness is associated with peripheral circulation in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Atherosclerosis 170: 87-91 2003.