Novel therapeutic approaches are continuously being researched in type 2 diabetes. The incretin class of anti-diabetic agents, consisting of glucagon-like peptide-1 agonists and dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors, has already found an important place in the current guidelines. Vildagliptin is a potent dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, with numerous trials in type 2 diabetes treatment, both in monotherapy and in combination therapy. This review focuses on vildagliptin pharmacological properties, clinical efficacy and safety, and pharmacoeconomic data.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Nauck MA Homberger E Siegel EG et al. Incretin effects of increasing glucose loads in man calculated from venous insulin and C-peptide responses. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 63: 492-498 1986.
2. Nauck MA Stöckmann F Ebert RCreutzfeldt W. Reduced incretin effect in type 2 (noninsulin- dependent) diabetes. Diabetologia 29: 46-52 1986.
3. Vildagliptin - summary of product characteristics 2012.
4. He Y-L. Clinical pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of vildagliptin. Clin Pharmacokinet 51: 147-162 2012.
5. He Y-L Sabo R Picard F et al. Study of the pharmacokinetic interaction of vildagliptin and metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes. Curr MedRes Opin 25: 1265-1272 2009.
6. Serra D He Y-L Bullock J et al. Evaluation of pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic interaction between the dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor vildagliptin glyburide and pioglitazone in patients with type 2 diabetes. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 46: 349-364 2008.
7. He Y-L Ligueros-Saylan M Sunkara G etal. Vildagliptin a novel dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor has no pharmacokinetic interactions with the antihypertensive agents amlodipine valsartan and ramipril in healthy subjects. J Clin Pharmacol 48: 85-95 2008.
8. Ayalasomayajula SP Dole K He Y-L et al. Evaluation of the potential for steady-state pharmacokinetics interaction between vildagliptin and simvastatin in healthy subjects. Curr Med Res Opin 23: 2913-2920 2007.
9. He Y-L Sabo R Sunkara G et al. Evaluation of pharmacokinetic interactions between vildagliptin and digoxin in healthy volunteers. J Clin Pharmacol 47: 998-1004 2007.
10. He Y-L Sabo R Riviere G-J et al. Effect of the novel oral dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor vildagliptin on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of warfarin in healthy subjects. Curr Med Res Opin 23: 1131-1138 2007.
11. Burkey BF Hoffmann PK Hassiepen UTrappe J Juedes M Foley JE. Adverse effects of dipeptidyl peptidases 8 and 9 inhibition in rodents revisited. Diabetes Obes Metab 10: 1057-1061 2008.
12. He Y-L Wang Y Bullock J et al. Pharmacodynamics of vildagliptin in patients with type 2 diabetes during OGTT. J Clin Pharmacol 47: 633-641 2007.
13. D’Alessio DA Denney AM Hermiller LM etal. Treatment with the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor vildagliptin improves fasting islet-cell function in subjects with type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94: 81-88 2009.
14. Ahrén B Landin-Olsson M Jansson PASvensson M Holmes D Schweizer A. Inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 reduces glycemia sustains insulin levels and reduces glucagon levels in type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89: 2078-2084 2004.
15. Scheen AJ. DPP-4 inhibitors in the management of type 2 diabetes: a critical review of head-to-head trials. Diabetes Metab 38: 89-101 2012.
16. Rosenstock J Kim SW Baron MA et al. Efficacy and tolerability of initial combination therapy with vildagliptin and pioglitazone compared with component monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Obes Metab 9: 175-185 2007.
17. Pan C Yang W Barona JP et al. Comparison of vildagliptin and acarbose monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 24-week double-blind randomized trial. Diabet Med 25: 435-441 2008.
18. Bosi E Camisasca RP Collober C RochotteE Garber AJ. Effects of vildagliptin on glucose control over 24 weeks in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin. Diabetes Care 30: 890-895 2007.
19. Schweizer A Dejager S Foley JE. Impact of insulin resistance body mass index disease duration and duration of metformin use on the efficacy of vildagliptin. Diabetes Ther 3: 8 2012.
20. Matthews DR Dejager S Ahrén B et al. Vildagliptin add-on to metformin produces similar efficacy and reduced hypoglycaemic risk compared with glimepiride with no weight gain: results from a 2- year study. Diabetes Obes Metab 12: 780-789 2012.
21. Filozof C Gautier J-F. A comparison of efficacy and safety of vildagliptin and gliclazide in combination with metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin alone: a 52-week randomized study. Diabet Med 27: 318-326 2010.
22. Bolli G Dotta F Colin L Minic BGoodman M. Comparison of vildagliptin and pioglitazone in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin. Diabetes ObesMetab 11: 589-595 2009.
23. Kothny W Foley J Kozlovski P Shao QGallwitz B Lukashevich V. Improved glycaemic control with vildagliptin added to insulin with or without metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Obes Metab 15: 252-257 2013.
24. Fakhoury WK Lereun C Wright D. A meta-analysis of placebo-controlled clinical trials assessing the efficacy and safety of incretin-based medications in patients with type 2 diabetes. Pharmacology 86: 44-57 2010.
25. Signorovitch JE Wu EQ Swallow EKantor E Fan L Gruenberger JB. Comparative efficacy of vildagliptin and sitagliptin in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a matchingadjusted indirect comparison of randomized trials. ClinDrug Invest 31: 665-674 2011.
26. Aroda VR Henry RR Han J et al. Efficacy of GLP-1 receptor agonists and DPP-4 inhibitors: metaanalysis and systematic review. Clin Ther 34: 1247-1258 2012.
27. Guerci B Monnier L Serusclat P et al. Continuous glucose profiles with vildagliptin versus sitagliptin in add-on to metformin: results from the randomized Optima study. Diabetes Metab 38: 359-366 2012.
28. Marfella R Barbieri M Grella R RizzoMR Nicoletti GF Paolisso G. Effects of vildagliptin twice daily vs. sitagliptin once daily on 24-hour acute glucose fluctuations. J Diabetes Complications 24: 79-83 2010.
29. Matikainen N Mänttäri S Schweizer A etal. Vildagliptin therapy reduces postprandial intestinal triglyceride-rich lipoprotein particles in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 49: 2049-2057 2006.
30. Dejager S Razac S Foley JE Schweizer A. Vildagliptin in drug naive patients with type 2 diabetes: a 24-week double-blind randomized placebocontrolled multiple-dose study. Horm Metab Res 39: 218-223 2007.
31. Keating GM. Vildagliptin - a review of its use in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Drugs 70: 2089-2112 2010.
32. Blüher M Kurz I Dannenmaier S DworakM. Efficacy and safety of vildagliptin in clinical practice - results of the PROVIL-study. World JDiabetes 3: 161-169 2012.
33. Ligueros-Saylan M Foley JE Schweizer ACouturier A Kothny W. An assessment of adverse effects of vildagliptin versus comparators on the liver the pancreas the immune system the skin and in patients with impaired renal function from a large pooled database of Phase II and III clinical trials. Diabetes Obes Metab 12: 495-509 2010.
34. Lukashevich V Schweizer A Shao QGroop PH Kothny W. Safety and efficacy of vildagliptin versus placebo in patients with type 2 diabetes and moderate or severe renal impairment: a prospective 24-week randomized placebo-controlled trial. Diabetes Obes Metab 13: 947-954 2011.
35. Schweizer A Dejager S Foley JE CouturierA Ligueros-Saylan M Kothny W. Assessing the cardio-cerebrovascular safety of vildagliptin: metaanalysis of adjudicated events from a large Phase III type 2 diabetes population. Diabetes Obes Metab 12: 485-494 2010.
36. Genovese S Tedeschi D. Effects of vildagliptin/metformin therapy on patient-reported outcomes: work productivity patient satisfaction and resource utilization. Adv Ther 30: 152-164 2013.
37. Waugh N Cummins E Royle P et al. Newer agents for blood glucose control in type 2 diabetes: systematic review and economic evaluation (executive summary). Health Technol Assess 14: 1-248 2010.
38. Nathan DM Buse JB Davidson MB et al. Medical management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy: a consensus statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care 32: 193-203 2009.