Diabetes mellitus represents worldwide an extremely important public healthproblem considering its high prevalence, the serious complications triggered by thedisease, the associated rate of mortality and, not the least, the extremely higheconomic and social costs. In 1995 approximately 135 million persons were affectedby diabetes and an increase of 300 million cases was estimated by the year 2025. Atthe end of 2012 a number of 347 million persons with diabetes was estimated, with aprediction of 552 million cases in 2030, that is 9.9% from the world’s adultpopulation. The question asked on an annual basis is: „Diabetes where do we go?Can we stop the dramatic evolution?”
1. Haris MI, Flegal KM, Cowie CC et al. Prevalence of diabetes, impaired fasting glucose, and impaired glucose tolerance in U.S. adults: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1944. Diabetes Care 21: 518-524, 1998.
2. Cowie CC, Rust KF, Byrd-Holt DD et al. Prevalence of diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in adults in the U.S. population: National Health And Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2002. Diabetes Care 29: 1263-1268, 2006.
3. Cowie CC, Rust KF, Ford ES et al. Full accounting of diabetes and pre-diabetes in the U.S. population in 1988-1994 and 2005-2006. Diabetes Care 32: 287-294, 2008.
4. Mokdad AH, Ford ES, Bowman BA, Nelson DE, Engelgau MM, Vinicor F, Marks JS. Diabetes trends in the U.S.: 1990-1998. Diabetes Care 23: 1278-1283, 2000.
5. DECODE Study Group on behalf of the European Diabetes Epidemiology Study Group. Will new diagnostic criteria for diabetes mellitus change phenotype of patients with diabetes? Reanalysis of European epidemiological data. BMJ 317: 371-375, 1998.
12. Stern MP, Gaskill SP, Hazuda HP, Gardner LI, Haffner SM. Does obesity explain excess prevalence of diabetes among Mexican Americans? Results of the San Antonio Heart Study. Diabetologia 24: 272-277, 1983.
13. Reimer TT, Choi E, Kelleyand LS, Enslein JC. Cultural barriers to care: Inverting the problem. Diabetes Spectrum 14: 13-22, 2001.
14. Aspray TJ, Mugusi F, Rashid S, Whiting D, Edwards R, Alberti KG, Unwin NC, Essential Non-Communicable Disease Health Intervention Project. Rural and urban differences in diabetes prevalence in Tanzania: the role of obesity, physical inactivity and urban living. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 94: 637-644, 2000.
15. Zimmet P, Taylor R, Ram P et al. Prevalence of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in the biracial (Melanesian and Indian) population of Fiji: a rural-urban comparison. Am J Epidemiol 118: 673-688, 1983.
16. Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, Sicree R, King H. Global prevalence of diabetes estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care 27: 1047-1053, 2004.
17. Dabney B, Gosschalk A. Diabetes in rural America. In: Rural Healthy People (eds. Gamm LD, Hutchison LL, Dabney BJ, Dorsey AM ), College Station, Texas, Texas A&M University System Health Science Center, School of Rural Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center: pp. 109-111, 2010.
18. Massey CN, Appel SJ, Buchanan KL, Cherrington AL. Improving diabetes care in rural communities: An overview of current initiatives and a call for renewed efforts. Clinical Diabetes 28: 20-27, 2010.
19. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 2nd edn. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation: 21, 2003. http://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/IDF_Diabetes_Atlas_2ndEd.pdf
20. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 4th edn. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation: 8, 2009. http://archive.diabetesatlas.org/sites/default/files/Figure%202.1_Diabetes%20per%20region_2010-2030.pdf
21. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 2nd edn. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation: 28-29, 2003. http://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/IDF_Diabetes_Atlas_2ndEd.pdf
22. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 3rd edn. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation, 2006. http://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/UN%20Resolution%20on%20World%20Diabetes%20Day%20of%20Dec%202006.pdf: 16, 2006
24. SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study Group, Liese AD, D'Agostino RB Jr et al. The burden of diabetes mellitus among US youth: prevalence estimates from the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. Pediatrics 118: 1510-1518, 2006.
25. The writing Group for the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study Group, Dabelea D, Bell RA et al. Incidence of diabetes in youth in the United States. JAMA 297: 2716-2724, 2007.
26. EURODIAB ACE Study Group. Variation and trends in incidence of childhood diabetes in Europe. Lancet 355: 873-876, 2000.
27. Green A. The Eurodiab studies on childhood diabetes 1988-1999. Diabetologia 44: B1-B2, 2001
28. Karvonen M, Viik-Kajander M, Moltchanova E, Libman I, LaPorte R, Tuomilehto J. Incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes worldwide. Diabetes Mondiale (DiaMond) Project Group. Diabetes Care 23: 1516-1526, 2000.
30. Patterson CC, Dahlquist GG, Gyürüs E, Green A, Soltész G, EURODIAB Study Group. Incidence trends for childhood type 1 diabetes in Europe during 1989-2003 and predicted new cases 2005-20: a multicentre prospective registration study. Lancet 373: 2027-2033, 2009.
31. Harjutsalo V, Sjöberg L, Tuomilehto J. Time trends in the incidence of type 1 diabetes in Finnish children: a cohort study. Lancet 371: 1777-1782, 2008.
32. Tîrgovişte CI, Lichiardopol R, Dobjanschi C, Guja C., Culman M., Bradescu O., Bojin A. Diabetul zaharat tip 2 ghid terapeutic pentru medicul de familie. Jurnalul Român de Diabet. Nutriţie şi Boli Metabolice 13: 220-245, 2006.
33. http://www.who.int/diabetes/publications/en/screening_mnc03.pdf 34. World Health Organization. Causes of death 2008: data sources and methods. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2010.
35. Roglic G, Unwin N. Mortality attributable to diabetes: estimates for the year 2010. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 87: 15-19, 2010.
36. McEwen LN, Karter AJ, Curb JD, Marrero DG, Crosson JC, Herman WH. Temporal Trends in Recording of Diabetes on Death Certificates. Results from Translating Research Into Action for Diabetes (TRIAD). Diabetes Care 34: 1529-1533, 2011.
37. Muggeo M, Zoppini G, Brun E, Bonora E, Verlato G. Mortality and its Predictors in Type 2 Diabetes. In: Diabetes in Old Age, Second Edition (eds. Sinclair AJ and Finucane P), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK: pp. 103-117, 2002.