Introduction: The rib broken are most frequent damages of chest. They cause strong pain, and make difficulties in breathing and changing position of body. Uncomplicated breakdowns are cured by analgesics drugs. One of physical methods for pain decreasing in musculoskeletal dysfunctions is kinesiotaping. The aim of this study was assessment of effectiveness Kinesiology Taping method after rib broken and their influence on pain reduction and breathing parameters.
Material and methods : In this study take part 14 patients after broken one or few ribs from General and Colorectal Surgery Clinic Bielanski Hospital in Warsaw.
Breathing parameters was controlled by forced vital capacity(FVC), forced expiratory voluntary in first second(FEV1) and peak expiratory flow (PEF). Pain was asses by visual analogue scale (VAS) separately for three situations: deep breathing, provoked coughing and changing body position from supine to seating. Next K-Active Tape® apply on skin over the broken rib. After 15 minutes breathing parameters and pain level assessing was repeated.
Results: There were difference between pain level before and after K-Active Tape® apply in three different situations. It shown difference in value of average points VAS in changing body position from supine to seating (p= 0,015), provoked coughing (p= 0,022) and deep breathing (p= 0,023). It means that pain was significantly decrees. Analysis of average value breathing parameters indicate upward trend FVC, FEV1 and PEF after Kinesiology Taping application, but it wasn’t statistically significant.
Conclusions: Kinesiology Taping is safety, supplementary method for heeling posttraumatic ribs condition. Apply lymphatic and ligament techniques using K-Active Tape® could be effectiveness method of reduction pain after ribs broken. It’s necessary to continue research on effectiveness Kinesiology Taping after ribs broken with extend methodology.
1. Mayo Clinic staff: Broken ribs. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/broken-ribs/DS00939 (accessed 20.06.2011)
2. Mahoney LK, Kulkarni R: Rib Fracture http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/825981-overview#showall (accessed 20.06.2011)
3. Śliwiński Z, Senderek T. Kinesiotaping - nowa metoda leczenia? Rehab Prakt 2007; 3: 18-20.
4. Kase K, Stockheimer KR. Kinesio taping for lymphoedema and chronic swelling. Alburquerque, NM, Kinesio Taping Association; 2006.
5. Kase K, Wallis J, Kase T. Clinical therapeutic applications of the kinesio tapìng method. Alburquerque, NM, Kinesio Taping Association; 2003.
6. Hałas I. Kinesiology Taping metoda wspomagająca terapię tkanek miękkich. Prakt Fizjoter Rebab 2010; 9/10: 22-26.
7. Senderek T, Hałas I. Kinesiotaping - nowe możliwości fizjoterapii. Zeszyty Naukowe WSSP w Lublinie 2005; 1: 89-93.
8. Stecco L. Fascial Manipulation for Musculoskeletal Pain. Piccin: Padova; 2004.
9. Międzynarodowa klasyfikacja procedur medycznych (ICD-9-CM, wersja 5.10); A international classification system for surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures: ICD-9-CM; www.icd9.pl, (data pobr. 05.07.2012)