Few studies have investigated the relationship between the 2008 global financial and economic crisis and foreign direct investments (FDI) flows. This paper aims to analyze empirically this relationship for Central and Eastern European (CEE) countries. The crisis had a major impact on capital flows to the region, although the magnitude of the impact differed notably, depending on specific characteristics of the host country. In order to highlight this, we use a multivariate regression model based on dynamic panel data methodology, which will help us in analyzing also the significant factors affecting the evolution of FDI in the CEE countries during the period 2000-2013.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Alfaro L. Chanda A. Kalemli-Ozcan S. and Sayek S. (2004). “FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets” Journal of International Economics Vol. 64 No. 1 pp. 89-112.
2. Arellano M. and Bond S. (1991). “Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations” Review of Economic Studies Vol. 58 No. 2 pp. 277-297.
3. Assunção S. Forte R. and Teixeira A. A. (2011). “Location determinants of FDI: A literature review” FEP Working Paper 433.
4. Bengoa M. and Sanchez-Robles B. (2003). “Foreign Direct Investment Economic Freedom and Growth: New Evidence from Latin America” European Journal of Political Economy Vol. 19 No. 3 pp. 529-545.
5. Bevan A. A. and Estrin S. (2004). “The determinants of foreign direct investment into European transition economies” Journal of comparative economics Vol. 32 No. 4 pp. 775-787.
6. Blăjuţ L. P. (2015) “The Multinational Companies Investments in Central and Eastern European Union.” Procedia Computer Science Vol. 65 No. 1 pp. 1134-1139.
7. Blonigen B. A. (2005). “A review of the empirical literature on FDI determinants” Atlantic Economic Journal Vol. 33 No. 4 pp. 383-403.
8. Carstensen K. and Farid T. (2004) “Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis.” Journal of comparative economics Vol. 32 No. 1 pp. 3-22.
9. Chang S. C. (2005). “The dynamic interactions among foreign direct investment economic growth exports and unemployment: evidence from Taiwan” Economic Change and Restructuring Vol. 38 No. 3-4 pp. 235-256.
10. Chowdhury A. and Mavrotas G. (2006). “FDI and growth: what causes what?” The World Economy Vol. 29 No. 1 pp. 9-19.
11. Dornean A. Işan V. and Oanea D. C. (2012a). “The Impact of the Recent Global Crisis on Foreign Direct Investment. Evidence from Central and Eastern European Countries” Procedia Economics and Finance Vol. 3 No. 1 pp. 1012-1017.
12. Dornean A. Işan V. and Oanea D. C. (2012b). “The impact of current crisis on foreign direct investment. Evidence from Romania” Revista Economică Sibiu Vol. supl. 1 pp. 266-273.
13. Dornean A. and Oanea D. C. (2013). “Foreign Direct Investment and Post Crisis Economic Growth. Evidence from European Union” Economic Review Vol. 65 No. 6 pp. 46-60.
14. Dunning J.H. (2000). “The Eclectic Paradigm as an Envelope for Economic and Business Theories of MNE Activity” International Business Review Vol. 9 No. 1 pp. 163-90.
15. Faeth I. (2009). “Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment - a Tale of Nine Theoretical Models” Journal of Economic Surveys Vol. 23 No. 1 pp. 165-196.
16. Kahouli B. and Samir M. (2015) “The determinants of FDI and the impact of the economic crisis on the implementation of RTAs: A static and dynamic gravity model” International Business Review Vol. 24 No. 3 pp. 518-529.
17. Lane P. R. and Milesi-Ferretti G. M. (2003). “International financial integration” CERP Discussion Papers 3769.
18. Louzis D. P. Vouldis A. T. and Metaxas V. L. (2012). “Macroeconomic and bankspecific determinants of non-performing loans in Greece: A comparative study of mortgage business and consumer loan portfolios” Journal of Banking and Finance Vol. 36 No. 4 pp. 1012-1027.
19. Moosa I.A. and Cardak B.A. (2006). “The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: An Extreme Bounds Analysis” Journal of Multinational Financial Management Vol. 16. No. 2 pp. 199-211.
20. Poulsen L. S. and Hufbauer G. C. (2011). “Foreign direct investment in times of crisis” Transnational Corporations Vol. 20 No. 1 pp. 19-38.
21. Reinhart C. M. and Rogoff K. S. (2008). “Is the 2007 US sub-prime financial crisis so different? An international historical comparison” American Economic Review Vol. 98 No. 2 pp. 339-344.
22. UNCTAD (2010). World Investment Report 2010. Geneva: UNCTAD.
23. UNCTAD (2011). World Investment Report 2011. Geneva: UNCTAD.
24. UNCTAD (2014). World Investment Report 2014. Geneva: UNCTAD.