This paper aims to examine the financial depth and efficiency and economic growth nexus in the context of Saudi Arabia and Oman. In particular, this paper addresses on how financial depth and efficiency relate to economic growth and the causal relation between financial depth and efficiency and the economic growth in Saudi Arabia and Oman. Methodological wise, this study employs a panel data of Saudi Arabia and Oman over the period of 1990 - 2015 and uses the determination of line of best to analyze the causal relations. The empirical results show that financial deepening have desirable effects on the economic growth in Oman, while increasing financial depth and efficiency has detrimental impact to economic growth of Saudi Arabia. Based on these empirical facts, we conclude that the financial deepening in Saudi Arabia is not an economic prioritized strategy, but financial deepening is an economic prioritized strategy in Oman. Two main policy implications are reached.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Al-zubi K. Al-Rjoub S. and Abu-Mharebi E. (2006). Financial Development and Economic Growth: A new Empirical evidence from the MENA countries 1989-2001. Applied Econometrics and international Development Vol. 6(3) 78-95
2. Ayadi R. ArbakE.Sami B.Nand De Groen W.P.(2013). Financial Development Bank Efficiency and economic growth across the Mediterranean. MEDPRO Technical Report No 30March 2013
3. BonginiP. MalgorzataI.D. SmageP and WitkowskiB.(2017). Financial Development and Economic growth: the role of Foreign-Owned Banks in CESE Countries. Sustainability 9 (335).
4. Caporale G.M. Rault C. Sova R. Sova A.(2014). Financial Development and Economic Growth: Evidence from Ten New EU Members. IZA DP No.8397.
5. Fritzer F.(2017). Financial Market Structure and economic growth: A crosscountry perspective. Monetary Policy and the eonomy Q2/Q4 Pg. 72-87
6. GhannouchiW and Radic N.(2017). Banking Efficiency and Economic growth in the MENA region. Center for EMENA Banking Finance and economics. Working paper series 14/11.
7. Hassan I. Koetter M Lensink R and Musters A.J (2016). Capital market and economic growth. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Bank of Finland 1108th street Troy NY 1218 USA.
8. Ibrahim M.A (2013). Financial Development and economic growth in Saudi Arabia. Applied Econometric and international Development 3(1)133-144
9. MarashdehH.A and Al-Malkawi H.N (2017). Financial Deeping and Economic growth in Saudi Arabia. Journal of Emerging Market Finance 13(2) 139-154
10. Nasir N.M. Ali N. and Khokhar I.(2014). Economic growth financial depth and leading rate Nexus: A case of Oil dependent Economy. International Journal of Financial Research 5 (2) pg59-68
11. Ozsahin S and UysalD.(2017). Financial Deeping and Economic development in MENA countries. Empirical evidence from the advanced panel Method. Internal journal of economics and finance 9(4) 151-162
12. Saqib N. (2013). Impact of Development and Efficiency of Financial Sector on Economic growth: empirical evidence from developing countries. Journal of Knowledge management economic and information technology.3 (3) 1-15
13. Yusitzade L. and Mammadova A.(2015). Financial intermediation and economic growth. William Davison Institute working paper number 1091 April 2015.