Background. Solitary fibrous tumours of the pleura (SFTP) are rare tumours. They are mostly benign. Only around 12% of them are malignant. In the initial stage they are mostly asymptomatic and by growing they cause chest pain, irritating cough and dyspnoea on account of the pressure created on the surrounding structures. Rare giant tumours have compression symptoms on the mediastinal structures. The condition requires tiered diagnostic radiology. Preoperative biopsy is not successful in most cases. The therapy of choice is radical surgical tumour removal. Malignant or non-radically removed benign solitary fibrous tumours of the pleura additionally require neoadjuvant therapy.
Case report. A 68-year old patient was hospitalized for giant solitary fibrous tumour of the pleura in the right pleural cavity. With its expansive growth the tumour caused the shift of the mediastinum by compressing the lower vena cava, right cardiac auricle as well as the intermediate and lower lobe bronchus. Due to cardiac inflow obstruction and right lung collapse, the patient’s life was endangered with signs of cardio-respiratory failure. After preoperative diagnostic radiology, the tumour was surgically removed. Postoperatively, the patient’s condition improved. No disease recurrence was diagnosed after a year.
Conclusions. Giant solitary fibrous tumour of the pleura may cause serious and life-threatening conditions by causing compression of the pleural cavity with its expansive growth. Early diagnosis of the condition enables less aggressive as well as video-assisted thoracic surgery in patients with significantly better state of health. Large tumour surgeries in cardio-respiratory affected patients are highly risk-associated procedures.
1. Furukawa N, Hansky B, Niedermayer J, Gummert J, Renner A. A silent gigantic fibrous tumor of the pleura: case report. J Cardiothorac Surg 2011; 6: 122-6.
2. De Perott M, Fischer S, Brundler MA, Sekine Y, Keshavjee S. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 74: 285-93.
3. Sung SH, Chang JW, Kim J, Lee KS, Han J, Park S. Solitary fibrous tumors of the plevra. Surgical and cinical course. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 79: 303-7.
4. Wagner E. Das tuberkelähnliche lymphadenom. (Der cytogene oder reticulirte tuberkel). Arch Heilk (Leipzig) 1870; 11: 495-525.
5. Klemperer P, Rabin CB. Primary neoplasm of the pleura: a report of five cases. Arch Pathol 1931; 11: 385-412.
6. Robinson LA. Solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura. Cancer Control 2006; 13: 264-9.
7. Van de Rijn M, Lombard CM, Rouse RV. Expression of CD34 by solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura, mediastinum and lung. Am J Surg Pathol 1994; 18: 814-20.
8. Ide F, Obara K, Mishima K. Ultrasructural spectrum of solitary fibrous tomor: a unique perivascular, tumor with alternative lines of differentation. Virchows Arch 2005; 446: 646-52.
9. Ibrachim NB, Briggs J, Corrin B. Double primary localized fibrous tumor of the pleura and retroperitoneum. Histopathology 1993; 22: 282-4.
10. Vaswani K, Guttikonda S, Vitellas KM, Case 1. Localized fibrous tumor of the liver. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2000; 175: 875-6.
11. Sandvliet RH, Heysteeg M, Paul MA. A large thoracic mass in a 57-year-old patient: solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura. Chest 2000; 117: 897-900.
12. Safneck JR, Alguacil-Garcia A, Dort JC, Philips SM. Solitary fibrous tumor: report of two new locations in the upper respiratory tract. J Laryngol Otol 1993; 107: 252-6.
13. England DM, Hochholzer L, McCarthy MJ. Localized benign ena malignant fibrous tumor of pleura: a clinicopathologic rewiev of 223 cases. Am J Pathol 1989; 13: 640-58.
14. Dynes MC, White EM, Fry WA, Ghahremany GG. Imaging manifestations of pleural tumors. Radiographics 1992; 12: 1191-201.
15. Kovac V, Zwitter M, Zagar T. Improved survival after introduction of chemotherapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma in Slovenia: Population-based survey of 444 patients. Radiol Oncol 2012; 46: 136-44.
16. Walid AA. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 41: 587-97.
17. Magdeleinat P, Alifano M, Petino A, Le Rochais JP, Dulmet E, Gaalateau F. Solitary fibrous tumor of pleura: clinical charateristic, surgical treatment and outcome. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2002; 21: 1087-93.
18. Robinson LA. Solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura. Cancer Control 2006; 13: 264-9.
19. Rena O, Filosso PL, Papalia E, Molinatti M, Di Marzio P, Maggi G. Solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura: surgical treatment. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2001; 191: 185-9.
20. Chamberlain MH, Taggart DP. Solitary fibrous tumor associated with hypoglicemia: an example of the Doege-Potter syndrome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2000; 119: 185-7.
22. Ferretti GR, Chiles C, Cox JE, Choplin RH, Coulomb M. Localized benign fibrous tumor of the pleura: MR appearance. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1997; 21: 115-20.
23. Podobnik J, Kocijancic I, Kovac V, Sersa I. 3T MRI in evaluation of asbestos-related thoracic diseases - preliminary results. Radiol Oncol 2010; 44: 92-6.
24. Orki A, Kosar A, Akin A, Haclibrahimoglu G, Arman SB. Solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2008; 56: 287-90.
25. Gaint DT, Bokharl A, Shatt S, Dogra V. Imaging features of solitary fibrous tumors. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2011; 196: 487-95.
26. Sung HS, ChangJ-W, Kim J, Lee KS, Han J, Park S. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura: surgical outcome and clinical cozrse. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 79: 303-7.
27. Suter M, Gebhard S, Boumghard M, Peloponisions N, Genton CY. Localized fibrous tumor of the pleura: 15 new cases and rewiev of the literature. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1998; 14: 453-9.
28. Crnjac A, Antonic J, Zorko A, Veingerl B. Video-assisted thoracic surgery - a new possibility for the management of traumatic hemothorax. Wien Klin Wochenschr 2001; 113(Suppl 3): 18-20.
29. Veronesi G, Spaggiari L, Mazzarol G, De Pas M, Leo F, Solli P. Huge malignant localized fibrous tumor of the pleura. J Cardiovasc Surg 2000; 41: 781-4.
30. Park MS, Patel SR, Ludwig JA, Trent JC, Conrad CA, Lazar AJ. Activity of temozolomide and bevacizumab in the treatment of locally advancet, recurrent and metastatic hemangiopericytoma and malignant solitary fibrous tumor. Cancer 2011; 117: 4939-47.
31. De Perrot M. Fibrous tumors of the pleura. Curr Treat Opt Oncol 2000; 1: 293-8.
32. Bicer M, Yaldiz S, Gursoy S, Ulgan M. A case of giant benign localized fibrous tumor of the pleura. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1998; 14: 211-3.
33. Tublin ME, Tessler FN, Rifkin MD. US case of the cay. Solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura (SFTP). Radiographic 1998; 18: 523-5.
34. Fan F, Hiu Z, Qinghai Z, Yupeng L. Computed tomography manifestations of malignant solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura with distinct blood supply from celiac trunk. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2014; 45: 1108-10.
35. Weynand B, Noel H, Goncette L, Noirhomme C, Colard P. Solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura: a report of five cases diagnosed by transthoracic cuttig needle biopsy. Chest 1997; 112: 1424-8.
36. Crnjac A. The significance of thoracoscopic mechanical pleurodesis for the treatment of malignant pleural effusions. Wien Klin Wochenschr 2004; 116(Suppl 2): 28-32.
37. Santos RS, Haddad R, Lima CE, Liu YL, Misztal M, Ferreira T. Patterns of reccurence and long-term survival after curative resection of localized fibrous tunors of the pleura. Clin Lung Cancer 2005; 7: 197-201.