Background. Urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) and plasminogen activator inhibitor type-1 (PAI-1) play a key role in tumour invasion and metastasis. High levels of both proteolytic enzymes are associated with poor prognosis in breast cancer patients. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the correlation between traditional prognostic factors and uPA and PAI-1 expression in primary tumour of breast cancer patients.
Patients and methods. 606 primary breast cancer patients were enrolled in the prospective study in the Department of gynaecological oncology and breast oncology at the University Medical Centre Maribor between the years 2004 and 2010. We evaluated the traditional prognostic factors (age, menopausal status, tumour size, pathohistological type, histologic grade, lymph node status, lymphovascular invasion and hormone receptor status), together with uPA and PAI-1. We used Spearman’s rank correlation, Mann Whitney U test and χ2 test for statistical analysis.
Results. Our findings indicate a positive correlation between uPA and tumour size (p < 0.001), grade (p < 0.001), histological type (p < 0.001), lymphovascular invasion (p = 0.01) and a negative correlation between uPA and hormone receptor status (p < 0.001). They also indicate a positive correlation between PAI-1 and tumour size (p = 0.004), grade (p < 0.001), pathohistological type (p < 0.001) and negative correlation between PAI-1 and hormone receptor status (p = 0.002).
Conclusions. Our study showed a relationship between uPA and PAI-1 and traditional prognostic factors. Their role as prognostic and predictive factors remains to be further evaluated.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ulisse S Baldini E Sorrenti S D’Armiento M. The urokinase plasminogen activator system: a target for anti-cancer therapy. Curr Cancer Drug Targets 2009; 9: 32-71.
2. Reuning U Magdolen V Wilhelm O Fischer K Lutz V Graeff H et al. Multifunctional potential of the plasminogen activation system in tumor invasion and metastasis (review). Int J Oncol 1998; 13: 893-906.
3. Preissner KT Kanse SM May AE. Urokinase receptor: a molecular organizer in cellular communication. Curr Opin Cell Biol 2000; 12: 621-8.
4. Blasi F Carmeliet P. uPAR: a versatile signalling orchestrator. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2002; 3: 932-43.
5. Rosenberg S. The urokinase-type plasminogen activator system in cancer and other pathological conditions: introduction and perspective. Curr Pharm Des 2003; 9: 4p.
6. Reuning U Sperl S Kopitz C Kessler H Kruger A Schmitt M et al. Urokinase-type plasminogen activator (uPA) and its receptor (uPAR): development of antagonists of uPA/uPAR interaction and their effects in vitro and in vivo. Curr Pharm Des 2003; 9: 1529-43.
7. Look MP van Putten WLJ Duffy MJ Harbeck N Christensen IJ Thomssen C et al. Pooled analysis of prognostic impact of uPA and PAI-1 in 8377 breast cancer patients. J Natl Cancer Inst 2002; 94: 116-28.
8. Jänicke F Prechtl A Thomssen C Harbeck N Meisner C Untch M et al. for the German chemo N0 study group. Randomyzed adjuvant chemotherapy trial in high-risk lymph node-negative breast cancer patients identified by urokinase-type plasminogen activator and plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1. J Natl Cancer Inst 2001; 93: 913-20.
9. Kwaan HC McMahon B. The role of plasminogen-plasmin system in cancer. Cancer Treat Res 2009; 148: 43-66.
10. Takac I Cufer T Gorisek B Cas-Sikosek N Bali R Bosilj D et al. [The role of the urokinase-type plasminogen activator (uPA) and its inhibitor (PAI-1) in breast cancer]. [Slovenian]. Zdrav Vestn 2011; 80: 405-12.
11. Duffy MJ O’Grady P Devaney D O’Siorain L Fennelly JJ Lijnen HJ. Urokinase-plasminogen activator a marker for aggressive breast carcinomas. Preliminary report. Cancer 1988; 62: 531-3.
12. Jänicke F Schmitt M Ulm K Gossner W Graeff H. Urokinase-type plasminogen activator antigen and early relapse in breast cancer. Lancet 1989; 2: 1049.
13. Foekens JA Schmitt M Van Putten WL Peters HA Bontenbal M Jänicke F et al. Prognostic value of urokinase-type plasminogen activator in 671 primary breast cancer patients. Cancer Res 1992; 52: 6101-5.
14. Foekens JA Schmitt M van Putten WL Peters HA Bontenbal M Jänicke F et al. Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 and prognosis in primary breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1994; 12: 1648-58.
15. Foekens JA Peters HA Look MP Portengen H Schmitt M Kramer MD et al. The urokinase system of plasminogen activation and prognosis in 2780 breast cancer patients. Cancer Res 2000; 60: 636-43.
16. Jelisavac-Cosic S Sirotkovic-Skerlev M Kulic A Jakic-Razumovic J Kovac Z Vrbanec D. Prognostic significance of urokinase-type plasminogen activator (uPA) and plasminogen activator inhibitor (PAI-1) in patients with primary invasive ductal breast carcinoma - a 7.5-year follow-up study. Tumori 2011; 97: 532-9.
17. Eljuga D Razumovic JJ Bulic K Petrovecki M Draca N Bulic SO. Prognostic importance of PAI-1 in node negative breast cancer patients - results after 10 years of follow up. Pathol Res Pract 2011; 207: 290-4.
18. Gazic B Pizem J Bracko M Cufer T Borstnar S Pohar-Marinsek Z et al. S-phase fraction determined on fine needle aspirates is an independent prognostic factor in breast cancer - a multivariate study of 770 patients. Cytopathology 2008; 19: 294-302.
19. Borstnar S Sadikov A Mozina B Cufer T. High levels of uPA and PAI-1 predict a good response to anthracyclines. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2010; 121: 615-24.
20. Xu FJ Stack S Boyer C O’Briant K Whitaker R Mills GB et al. Heregulin and agonistic anti-p185(c-erbB2) antibodies inhibit proliferation but increase invasiveness of breast cancer cells that overexpress p185(c-erbB2): increased invasiveness may contribute to poor prognosis. Clin Cancer Res 1997; 3: 1629-34.
21. Ignatoski KM Maehama T Markwart SM Dixon JE Livant DL Ethier SP. ERBB-2 overexpression confers PI 3′ kinase-dependent invasion capacity on human mammary epithelial cells. Br J Cancer 2000; 82: 666-74.
22. Adam L Vadlamudi R Kondapaka SB Chernoff J Mendelsohn J Kumar R. Heregulin regulates cytoskeletal reorganization and cell migration through the p21-activated kinase-1 via phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase. J Biol Chem 1998; 273: 28238-46.
23. Arboleda J Slamon DJ. Heregulin induced cell invasion of HER-2/neu transfected breast cancer cell line is mediated through activation of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/AKT2 pathway. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Meeting on Tyrosine Phosphorylation and Cell Signaling; 1999 May 12.-16. p. 11.
24. Berney CR Yang J Fisher RJ Russell PJ Crowe PJ. Correlates of urokinase-type plasminogen activator in colorectal cancer: positive relationship with nm23 and c-erbB-2 protein expression. Oncol Res 1998; 10: 47-54.
25. Allgayer H Babic R Gruetzner KU Tarabichi A Schildberg FW Heiss MM. c-erbB-2 is of independent prognostic relevance in gastric cancer and is associated with the expression of tumor-associated protease systems. J Clin Oncol 2000; 18: 2201-9.
26. Dano K Andreasen PA Grondahl-Hansen J Kristensen P Nielsen LS Skriver L. Plasminogen activators tissue degradation and cancer. Adv Cancer Res 1985; 44: 139-66.
27. Schmitt M Harbeck N Thomssen C Wilhelm O Magdolen V Reuning U et al. Clinical impact of the plasminogen activation system in tumor invasion and metastasis: prognostic relevance and target for therapy. Thromb Haemostasis 1997; 78: 285-96.
28. Zemzoum I Kates RE Ross JS Dettmar P Dutta M Henrichs C et al. Invasion factors uPA/PAI-1 and HER2 status provide independent and complementary information on patient outcome in node-negative breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2003; 21: 1022-8.
29. Konecny G Untch M Arboleda J Wilson C Kahlert S Boettcher B et al. HER2/neu and urokinase-type plasminogen activator and its inhibitor in breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7: 2448-57.
30. Decker T Hungermann D Böcker W. [Prognostic and predictive factors of invasive breast cancer: update 2009]. [German]. Pathologe 2009; 30: 49-55.
31. Elston CW. Grading of invasive carcinoma of the breast. In: Page DL Anderson TJ eds. Diagnostic histopathology of the breast. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1987. p. 300-11.
32. Harbeck N Dettmar P Thomssen C Berger U Ulm K Kates R et al. Risk-group discrimination in node-negative breast cancer using invasion and proliferation markers: six-year median follow-up. Br J Cancer 1999; 80: 419-26.
33. Schmitt M Thomssen C Ulm K Seiderer A Harbeck N Höfler H et al. Time-varying prognostic impact of tumour biological factors urokinase (uPA) PAI-1 and steroid hormone receptor status in primary breast cancer. Br J Cancer 1997; 76: 306-11.
34. Harbeck N Thomssen C Berger U Ulm K Kates RE Höfler H et al. Invasion marker PAI-1 remains a strong prognostic factor after long-term follow-up both for primary breast cancer and following first relapse. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1999; 54: 147-57.
35. Cufer T Vrhovec I Borštnar S. Prognostic significance of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 in breast cancer with special emphasis on locoregional recurrence-free survival. Int J Biol Mark 2002; 17: 33-41.
36. Cufer T Vrhovec I Borštnar S. Prognostic and predictive value of the urokinase-type plasminogen activator (uPA) and its inhibitor PAI-1 and PAI-2 in operable breast cancer. Int J Biol Mark 2003; 18: 106-15.
37. Cufer T. Clinical utility of serine proteases in breast cancer. Radiol Oncol 2004; 38: 85-92.
38. Ferrero-Poüs M Hacene K Bouchet C Le Doussal V Tubiana-Hulin M Spyratos F. Relationship between c-erbB-2 and other tumor characteristics in breast cancer prognosis. Clin Cancer Res 2000; 6: 4745-54.
39. Descotes F Riche B Saez S De Laroche G Datchary J Roy P et al. Plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 is the most significant of the usual tissue prognostic factors in node-negative breast ductal adenocarcinoma independent of urokinase-type plasminogen activator. Clin Breast Cancer 2008; 4: 168-77.
40. Harbeck N Kates R Schmitt M. Clinical relevance of invasion factors urokinase-type plasminogen activator and plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 for individualized therapy decisions in primary breast cancer is greatest when used in combination. J Clin Oncol 2002; 20: 1000-7.
41. Esteva FJ Hortobagyi GN. Prognostic markers in early breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res 2004; 6: 109-18.
42. De Cremoux P Grandin L Diéras V Savignoni A Degeorges A Salmon R et al. Breast Cancer Study Group of the Institut Curie. Urokinase-type plasminogen activator and plasminogen-activator-inhibitor type 1 predict metastases in good prognosis breast cancer patients. Anticancer Res 2009; 29: 1475-82.
43. Sotiriou C Wirapati P Loi S Harris A Fox S Smeds J et al. Gene Expression Profiling in Breast Cancer: Understanding the Molecular Basis of Histologic Grade To Improve Prognosis. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006; 98: 262-72.