Background. The aim of the article is to systematically review published data about the comparison between positron emission tomography (PET) or PET/computed tomography (PET/CT) using Fluorine-18-Fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) and whole-body magnetic resonance imaging (WB-MRI) in patients with different tumours.
Methods. A comprehensive literature search of studies published in PubMed/MEDLINE, Scopus and Embase databases through April 2012 and regarding the comparison between FDG-PET or PET/CT and WB-MRI in patients with various tumours was carried out.
Results. Forty-four articles comprising 2287 patients were retrieved in full-text version, included and discussed in this systematic review. Several articles evaluated mixed tumours with both diagnostic methods. Concerning the specific tumour types, more evidence exists for lymphomas, bone tumours, head and neck tumours and lung tumours, whereas there is less evidence for other tumour types.
Conclusions. Overall, based on the literature findings, WB-MRI seems to be a valid alternative method compared to PET/CT in oncology. Further larger prospective studies and in particular cost-effectiveness analysis comparing these two whole-body imaging techniques are needed to better assess the role of WB-MRI compared to FDG-PET or PET/ CT in specific tumour types.
1. Hodolic M. Role of F-18-choline PET/CT in evaluation of patients with prostate carcinoma. Radiol Oncol 2011; 45: 17-21.
2. Basu S, Alavi A. Unparalleled contribution of 18F-FDG PET to medicine over 3 decades. J Nucl Med 2008; 49: 17N-21N, 37N.
3. Wang X, Xu M, Liang H, Xu LS. Comparison of CT and MRI in diagnosis of cerebrospinal leak induced by multiple fractures of skull base. Radiol Oncol 2011; 45: 91-6.
4. Schmidt GP, Reiser MF, Baur-Melnyk A. Whole-body MRI for the staging and follow-up of patients with metastasis. Eur J Radiol 2009; 70: 393-400.
5. Lambregts DM, Maas M, Cappendijk VC, Prompers LM, Mottaghy FM, Beets GL, et al. Whole-body diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging: Current evidence in oncology and potential role in colorectal cancer staging. Eur J Cancer 2011; 47: 2107-16.
6. Thomson V, Pialat JB, Gay F, Coulon A, Voloch A, Granier A, et al. Wholebody MRI for metastases screening: a preliminary study using 3D VIBE sequences with automatic subtraction between noncontrast and contrast enhanced images. Am J Clin Oncol 2008; 31: 285-92.
7. Mürtz P, Krautmacher C, Träber F, Gieseke J, Schild HH, Willinek WA. Diffusion-weighted whole-body MR imaging with background body signal suppression: a feasibility study at 3.0 Tesla. Eur Radiol 2007; 17: 3031-7.
8. Seemann MD, Meisetschlaeger G, Gaa J, Rummeny EJ. Assessment of the extent of metastases of gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors using whole-body PET, CT, MRI, PET/CT and PET/MRI. Eur J Med Res 2006; 11: 58-65.
9. Furth C, Amthauer H, Denecke T, Ruf J, Henze G, Gutberlet M. Impact of whole-body MRI and FDG-PET on staging and assessment of therapy response in a patient with Ewing sarcoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2006; 47: 607-11.
10. Yan RZ, Yang C, Zhang Q, Gu XM. [Whole-body diffusion weighted imaging manifestation of oral squamous cell carcinoma with metastatic lymph nodes]. [Chinese]. Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi 2009; 44: 144-6.
11. Wang JW, Zhao S, Liu Y, Li J, Xu LM. [Preliminary study on the validity of whole body diffusion-weighted imaging for the detection of malignant lesions]. [Chinese]. Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi 2010; 32: 304-8.
12. Lin C, Luciani A, Itti E, El-Gnaoui T, Vignaud A, Beaussart P, et al. Whole-body diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging with apparent diffusion coefficient mapping for staging patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Eur Radiol 2010; 20: 2027-38.
13. Schmidt GP, Baur-Melnyk A, Tiling R, Hahn K, Reiser MF, Schoenberg SO. [Comparison of high resolution whole-body MRI using parallel imaging and PET-CT. First experiences with a 32-channel MRI system.] [German]. Radiologe 2004; 44: 889-98.
14. Reiner CS, Fischer MA, Hany T, Stolzmann P, Nanz D, Donati OF, et al. Molecular imaging of malignant tumor metabolism: whole-body image fusion of DWI/CT vs. PET/CT. Acad Radiol 2011; 18: 940-6.
15. Ohno Y, Koyama H, Nogami M, Takenaka D, Yoshikawa T, Yoshimura M, et al. Whole-body MR imaging vs. FDG-PET: comparison of accuracy of M-stage diagnosis for lung cancer patients. J Magn Reson Imaging 2007; 26: 498-509.
16. Ng SH, Chan SC, Yen TC, Chang JT, Liao CT, Ko SF, et al. Pretreatment evaluation of distant-site status in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma: accuracy of whole-body MRI at 3-Tesla and FDG-PET-CT. Eur Radiol 2009; 19: 2965-76.
17. Antoch G, Vogt FM, Freudenberg LS, Nazaradeh F, Goehde SC, Barkhausen J, et al. Whole-body dual-modality PET/CT and whole-body MRI for tumor staging in oncology. JAMA 2003; 290: 3199-206.
18. Schmidt GP, Baur-Melnyk A, Herzog P, Schmid R, Tiling R, Schmidt M, et al. High-resolution whole-body magnetic resonance image tumor staging with the use of parallel imaging versus dual-modality positron emission tomography-computed tomography: experience on a 32-channel system. Invest Radiol 2005; 40: 743-53.
19. Komori T, Narabayashi I, Matsumura K, Matsuki M, Akagi H, Ogura Y, et al. 2-[Fluorine-18]-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography/ computed tomography versus whole-body diffusion-weighted MRI for detection of malignant lesions: initial experience. Ann Nucl Med 2007; 21: 209-15.
20. Li S, Sun F, Jin ZY, Xue HD, Li ML. Whole-body diffusion-weighted imaging: technical improvement and preliminary results. J Magn Reson Imaging 2007; 26: 1139-44.
21. Brauck K, Zenge MO, Vogt FM, Quick HH, Stock F, Trarbach T, et al. Feasibility of whole-body MR with T2- and T1-weighted real-time steady-state free precession sequences during continuous table movement to depict metastases. Radiology 2008; 246: 910-6.
22. Yang TH, Lin JZ, Wang X, Lu JH, Chen Z. Preliminary study of feasibility of whole body diffusion weighted imaging in diagnosis of metastasis of tumor. Chin Med Sci J 2008; 23: 187-92.
23. Stecco A, Romano G, Negru M, Volpe D, Saponaro A, Costantino S, et al. Whole-body diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in the staging of oncologic patients: comparison with positron emission tomography computed tomography (PET-CT) in a pilot study. Radiol Med 2009; 114: 1-17.
24. Krohmer S, Sorge I, Krausse A, Kluge R, Bierbach U, Marwede D, et al. Whole-body MRI for primary evaluation of malignant disease in children. Eur J Radiol 2010; 74: 256-61.
25. Fischer MA, Nanz D, Hany T, Reiner CS, Stolzmann P, Donati OF, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of whole-body MRI/DWI image fusion for detection of malignant tumours: a comparison with PET/CT. Eur Radiol 2011; 21: 246-55.
26. Schmidt GP, Paprottka P, Jakobs TF, Hoffmann RT, Baur-Melnyk A, Haug A, et al. FDG-PET-CT and whole-body MRI for triage in patients planned for radioembolisation therapy. Eur J Radiol 2012; 81: 269-76.
27. Cafagna D, Rubini G, Iuele F, Maggialetti N, Notaristefano A, Pinto D, et al. Whole-body MR-DWIBS vs. [(18)F]-FDG-PET/CT in the study of malignant tumors: a retrospective study. Radiol Med 2012; 117: 293-311.
28. Manenti G, Cicciò C, Squillaci E, Strigari L, Calabria F, Danieli R, et al. Role of combined DWIBS/3D-CE-T1w whole-body MRI in tumor staging: Comparison with PET-CT. Eur J Radiol 2012 doi:10.1016/j.ejrad.2011.08.005
29. Punwani S, Taylor SA, Bainbridge A, Prakash V, Bandula S, De Vita E, et al. Pediatric and adolescent lymphoma: comparison of whole-body STIR half- Fourier RARE MR imaging with an enhanced PET/CT reference for initial staging. Radiology 2010; 255: 182-90.
30. van Ufford HM, Kwee TC, Beek FJ, van Leeuwen MS, Takahara T, Fijnheer R, et al. Newly diagnosed lymphoma: initial results with whole-body T1- weighted, STIR, and diffusion-weighted MRI compared with 18F-FDG PET/ CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2011; 196: 662-9.
31. Abdulqadhr G, Molin D, Aström G, Suurküla M, Johansson L, Hagberg H, et al. Whole-body diffusion-weighted imaging compared with FDG-PET/CT in staging of lymphoma patients. Acta Radiol 2011; 52: 173-80.
32. Gu J, Chan T, Zhang J, Leung AY, Kwong YL, Khong PL. Whole-body diffusionweighted imaging: the added value to whole-body MRI at initial diagnosis of lymphoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2011; 197: w384-91.
33. Lin C, Itti E, Luciani A, Zegai B, Lin SJ, Kuhnowski F, et al. Whole-body diffusion-weighted imaging with apparent diffusion coefficient mapping for treatment response assessment in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma:pilot study. Invest Radiol 2011; 46: 341-9.
34. Wu X, Kellokumpu-Lehtinen PL, Pertovaara H, Korkola P, Soimakallio S, Eskola H, et al. Diffusion-weighted MRI in early chemotherapy response evaluation of patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma--a pilot study: comparison with 2-deoxy-2-fluoro-D-glucose-positron emission tomography/ computed tomography. NMR Biomed 2011; 24: 1181-90.
35. Chen Y, Zhong J, Wu H, Chen N. The clinical application of whole-body diffusion- weighted imaging in the early assessment of chemotherapeutic effects in lymphoma: the initial experience. Magn Reson Imaging 2012; 30: 165-70.
36. Shortt CP, Gleeson TG, Breen KA, McHugh J, O’Connell MJ, O’Gorman PJ, et al. Whole-Body MRI versus PET in assessment of multiple myeloma disease activity. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2009; 192: 980-6.
37. Daldrup-Link HE, Franzius C, Link TM, Laukamp D, Sciuk J, Jürgens H, et al. Whole-body MR imaging for detection of bone metastases in children and young adults: comparison with skeletal scintigraphy and FDG PET. AJR Am JRoentgenol 2001; 177: 229-36.
38. Schmidt GP, Schoenberg SO, Schmid R, Stahl R, Tiling R, Becker CR, et al. Screening for bone metastases: whole-body MRI using a 32-channel system versus dual-modality PET-CT. Eur Radiol 2007; 17: 939-49.
39. Ribrag V, Vanel D, Leboulleux S, Lumbroso J, Couanet D, Bonniaud G, et al. Prospective study of bone marrow infiltration in aggressive lymphoma by three independent methods: whole-body MRI, PET/CT and bone marrow biopsy. Eur J Radiol 2008; 66: 325-31.
40. Kumar J, Seith A, Kumar A, Sharma R, Bakhshi S, Kumar R, et al. Wholebody MR imaging with the use of parallel imaging for detection of skeletal metastases in pediatric patients with small-cell neoplasms: comparison with skeletal scintigraphy and FDG PET/CT. Pediatr Radiol 2008; 38: 953-62.
41. Takenaka D, Ohno Y, Matsumoto K, Aoyama N, Onishi Y, Koyama H, et al. Detection of bone metastases in non-small cell lung cancer patients: comparison of whole-body diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI), whole-body MR imaging without and with DWI, whole-body FDG-PET/CT, and bone scintigraphy. J Magn Reson Imaging 2009; 30: 298-308.
42. Heusner T, Gölitz P, Hamami M, Eberhardt W, Esser S, Forsting M, et al. “One-stop-shop” staging: should we prefer FDG-PET/CT or MRI for the detection of bone metastases? Eur J Radiol 2011; 78: 430-5.
43. Ng SH, Chan SC, Yen TC, Liao CT, Chang JT, Ko SF, et al. Comprehensive imaging of residual/ recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma using whole-body MRI at 3 T compared with FDG-PET-CT. Eur Radiol 2010; 20: 2229-40.
44. O’Neill JP, Moynagh M, Kavanagh E, O’Dwyer T. Prospective, blinded trial of whole-body magnetic resonance imaging versus computed tomography positron emission tomography in staging primary and recurrent cancer of the head and neck. J Laryngol Otol 2010; 124: 1274-7.
45. Ng SH, Chan SC, Yen TC, Liao CT, Lin CY, Tung-Chieh Chang J, et al. PET/CT and 3-T whole-body MRI in the detection of malignancy in treated oropharyngeal and hypopharyngeal carcinoma. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2011; 38: 996-1008.
46. Chan SC, Wang HM, Yen TC, Lin CY, Chin SC, Liao CT, et al. 18F-FDG PET/ CT and 3.0-T whole-body MRI for the detection of distant metastases and second primary tumours in patients with untreated oropharyngeal/hypopharyngeal carcinoma: a comparative study. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2011; 38: 1607-19.
47. Eiber M, Souvatzoglou M, Pickhard A, Loeffelbein DJ, Knopf A, Holzapfel K, et al. Simulation of a MR-PET protocol for staging of head-and-neck cancer including Dixon MR for attenuation correction. Eur J Radiol 2012; 81: 2658-65.
48. Plathow C, Aschoff P, Lichy MP, Eschmann S, Hehr T, Brink I, et al. Positron emission tomography/computed tomography and whole-body magnetic resonance imaging in staging of advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer-initial results. Invest Radiol 2008; 43: 290-7.
49. Ohno Y, Koyama H, Onishi Y, Takenaka D, Nogami M, Yoshikawa T, et al. Non-small cell lung cancer: whole-body MR examination for M-stage assessment--utility for whole-body diffusion-weighted imaging compared with integrated FDG PET/CT. Radiology 2008; 248: 643-54.
50. Yi CA, Shin KM, Lee KS, Kim BT, Kim H, Kwon OJ, et al. Non-small cell lung cancer staging: efficacy comparison of integrated PET/CT versus 3.0-T whole-body MR imaging. Radiology 2008; 248: 632-42.
51. Chen W, Jian W, Li HT, Li C, Zhang YK, Xie B, et al. Whole-body diffusionweighted imaging vs. FDG-PET for the detection of non-small-cell lung cancer. How do they measure up? Magn Reson Imaging 2010; 28: 613-70.
52. Pfannenberg C, Aschoff P, Schanz S, Eschmann SM, Plathow C, Eigentler TK, et al. Prospective comparison of 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography and whole-body magnetic resonance imaging in staging of advanced malignant melanoma. Eur J Cancer 2007; 43: 557-64.
53. Laurent V, Trausch G, Bruot O, Olivier P, Felblinger J, Régent D. Comparative study of two whole-body imaging techniques in the case of melanoma metastases: advantages of multi-contrast MRI examination including a diffusion-weighted sequence in comparison with PET-CT. Eur J Radiol 2010; 75: 376-83.
54. Dellestable P, Granel-Brocard F, Rat AC, Olivier P, Régent D, Schmutz JL. [Impact of whole body magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in the management of melanoma patients, in comparison with positron emission tomography/ computed tomography (TEP/CT) and CT.] [French]. Ann DermatolVenereol 2011; 138: 377-83.
55. Schmidt GP, Baur-Melnyk A, Haug A, Heinemann V, Bauerfeind I, Reiser MF, et al. Comprehensive imaging of tumor recurrence in breast cancer patients using whole-body MRI at 1.5 and 3 T compared to FDG-PET-CT. Eur J Radiol 2008; 65: 47-58.
56. Heusner TA, Kuemmel S, Koeninger A, Hamami ME, Hahn S, Quinsten A, et al. Diagnostic value of diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (DWI) compared to FDG PET/CT for whole-body breast cancer staging. Eur JNucl Med Mol Imaging 2010; 37: 1077-86.
57. Squillaci E, Manenti G, Mancino S, Cicciò C, Calabria F, Danieli R, et al. Staging of colon cancer: whole-body MRI vs. whole-body PET-CT--initial clinical experience. Abdom Imaging 2008; 33: 676-88.
58. Schmidt GP, Baur-Melnyk A, Haug A, Utzschneider S, Becker CR, Tiling R, et al. Whole-body MRI at 1.5 T and 3 T compared with FDG-PET-CT for the detection of tumour recurrence in patients with colorectal cancer. EurRadiol 2009; 19: 1366-78.
60. Takano A, Oriuchi N, Tsushima Y, Taketomi-Takahashi A, Nakajima T, Arisaka Y, et al. Detection of metastatic lesions from malignant pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma with diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging: comparison with 18F-FDG positron emission tomography and 123I-MIBG scintigraphy. Ann Nucl Med 2008; 22: 395-401.
61. Plathow C, Walz M, Lichy MP, Aschoff P, Pfannenberg C, Bock H, et al. [Cost considerations for whole-body MRI and PET/CT as part of oncologic staging.] [German]. Radiologe 2008; 48: 384-96.