Background. Thoracobiliary fistulas are pathological communications between the biliary tract and the bronchial tree (bronchobiliary fistulas) or the biliary tract and the pleural space (pleurobiliary fistulas).
Review of the literature. We have reviewed aetiology, pathogenesis, predilection formation points, the clinical picture, diagnostic possibilities, and therapeutic options for thoracobiliary fistulas.
Case report. A patient with an iatrogenic bronchobiliary fistula which developed after radiofrequency ablation of a colorectal carcinoma metastasis of the liver is present. We also describe the closure of the bronchobiliary fistula with the greater omentum as a possible manner of fistula closure, which was not reported previously according to the knowledge of the authors.
Conclusions. Newer papers report of successful non-surgical therapy, although the bulk of the literature advocates surgical therapy. Fistula closure with the greater omentum is a possible method of the thoracobiliary fistula treatment.
2. Warren KW, Christophi C, Armendariz R, Basu S. Surgical treatment of bronchobiliary fistulas. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1983; 157: 351-6.
3. Gandhi N, Kent T, Kaban JM, Stone M, Teperman S, Simon R. Bronchobiliary fistulas after penetrating thoracoabdominal trauma: Case report and literature review. J Trauma 2009; 67: E143-5
4. Gugenheim J, Ciardullo M, Traynor O, Bismuth H. Bronchobiliary fistulas in adults. Ann Surg 1988; 90-4.
5. Eryigit H, Oztas S, Urek S, Olgac G, Kurutepe H, Kutlu CA. Management of acquired bronchobiliary fistula: 3 case reports and literature review. JCardiothorac Surg 2007, 2: 52.
6. Gries C, Branding G, Ritz JP, Golder W. [Bronchobiliary fistula as a complication of Bülau drainage]. [German]. Rofo 1998; 169: 315-7.
7. Boyd DP. Bronchobiliary and bronchopleural fistulas. Ann Thorac Surg 1977; 24: 481-7.
8. Rose DM, Rose AT, Chapman WC, Wright JK, Lopez RR, Pinson CW. Management of bronchobiliary fistula as a late complication of hepatic resection. Am Surg 1998; 64: 873-6.
9. Koch KA, Crump JM, Monteiro CB. A case of bilipytisis. J Clin Gastroenterol 1995; 20: 49-53.
10. Saylam A, Ersoy U, Baris I, Artvinli M, Bozer AY. Thoracobiliary fistulas: report of six cases. Br J Dis Chest 1974; 68: 264-72.
11. Tierris EJ, Avgeropoulos K, Kourtis K, Papaevangelou EJ. Bronchobiliary fistula due to echinococcosis of the liver. World J Surg 1977; 1: 99-104.
12. Oparah SS, Mandal AK, Traumatic thoracobiliary (pleurobiliary and bronchobiliary) fistulas: clinical and review study. J Trauma 1978; 18: 539-44.
13. Wei WI, Choi TK, Wong J, Ong GB. Bronchobiliary fistula due to stones in the biliary tree: report of two cases. World J Surg 1982; 6: 782-5.
14. Caporale A, Giuliani A, Teneriello F, Della Casa U, Aurello P, Iaricci P, et al. Hydatid hepatothoracic fistulas. A report of 30 cases. Ital J Surg Sci 1987; 17: 327-33.
15. Yilmaz U, Sahin B, Hilmioglu F, Tezel A, Boyacioglu S, Cumhur T. Endoscopic treatment of bronchobiliary fistula: report on 11 cases. Hepatogastroenterology 1996; 43: 293-300.
16. Senturk H, Mert A, Ersavasti G, Tabak F, Akdogan M, Ulualp K. Bronchobiliary fistula due to alveolar hydatid disease: report of three cases. Am JGastroenterol 1998; 93: 2248-53.
17. Chua HK, Allen MS, Deschamps C, Miller DL, Pairolero PC. Bronchobiliary fistula: priniciples of management. Ann Thorac Surg 2000; 70: 1392-4.
18. Kabiri EH, El Maslout A, Benosman A. Thoracic rupture of hepatic hydatidosis (123 cases). Ann Thorac Surg 2001; 72: 1883-6.
19. Singh B, Moodley J, Sheik-Gafoor MH, Dhoma N, Reddi A, Conservative management of thoracobiliary fistula. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 73: 1088-91.
20. Gerazounis M, Athanassiadi K, Metaxas E, Athanassiou M, Kalantzi N. Bronchobiliary fistulae due to echinococcosis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2002; 22: 306-8.
21. Uchikov AP, Safev GP, Stefanov CS, Markova DM. Surgical treatment of bronchobiliary fistulas due to complicated echinococcosis of the liver: case report and literature review. Folia Medica 2003; 45: 22-4.
22. Ong M, Moozar K, Cohen LB. Octreotide in bronchobiliary fistula management. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 78: 1512-3.
23. Peker Y, Can MF, Genc O, Gozubuyuk A, Zeybek N, Tufan T. Appropriate approach to bronchobiliary fistulas: a case series with hydatid disease and algorithm of case-based management. Int Surg 2007; 92: 239-46.
24. Tocchi A, Mazzoni G, Miccini M, Drumo A, Cassini D, Colace L, et al. Treatment of hydatid bronchobiliary fistulas: 30 years of experience. LiverInt 2007; 27: 209-14.
25. Aydin U, Yazici P, Tekin F, Ozutemiz O, Coker A. Minimally invasive treatment of patients with bronchobiliary fistula: a case series. J Med Case Rep 2009; 3: 23.
26. Beslic S, Zukic F, Milisic S. Percutaneous transthoracic CT guided biopsies of lung lesions; fine needle aspiration biopsy versus core biopsy Radiol Oncol 2012; 46: 19-22.
27. Gumustas S, Inan N, Akansel G, Ciftci E, Demirci A, Ozkara SK. Differentiation of malignant and benign lung lesions with diffusion-weighted MR imaging. Radiol Oncol 2012; 46: 106-13.
28. Mann CD, Johnson NA, Metcalfe MS, Neal CP, Harrison RF, Berry DP, et al. Cholecystobronchial fistula secondary to adenomyomatosis of the gallbladder. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2001; 89: W14-6.