As a common disorder, depression must be diagnosed not only in psychiatric but also in different medical settings, especially in patients with chronic diseases. Beck Depression Inventory is valuable and sensitive self-report inventory used worldwide for assessment depressive symptoms. In this research we present obtained scores of BDI in different group of disorders and we showed that BDI scores are related to the clinical condition, as well as with the age.
1. Moussavi S, Chatterji S, Verdes E, Tandon A, Patel V, Ustun B. Depression, chronic diseases, and decrements in health: results from the World Health Surveys. Lancet. 2007 Sep 8;370(9590):851-8.
2. Kessler RC, Üstün TB. The World Mental Health (WMH) Survey Initiative Version of the World Health Organization (WHO) Composite International Diagnostic Interview (CIDI) Int. J. Methods Psychiatr. Res.2004;13:93-121.
3. Kessler RC, Üstün TB. The WHO World Mental Health Surveys: Global Perspectives on the Epidemiology of Mental Disorders. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press; 2008.
4. Kessler RC, Bromet EJ. The epidemiology of depression across cultures. Annu Rev Public Health. 2013; 34: 119-138.
5. Huang V, Beshai S, Yu M. The effects of the gender-culture interaction on self-reports of depressive symptoms: cross-cultural study among Egyptians and Canadians. PeerJ. 2016 Dec 7;4:e2783. eCollection 2016.
6. Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M, Mock J, Erbaugh J. An inventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1961; 4(6):561-571.
7. Hirst KP, Moutier CY. Postpartum major depression. Am Fam Physician. 2010 Oct 15; 82(8):926-33.
8. Gaynes BN, Gavin N, Meltzer-Brody S, et al. Perinatal depression: prevalence, screening ac curacy, and screening outcomes. Evidence Report/ Technology Assessment No. 119. AHRQ Publication No. 05-E006-2. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, February, 2005.
9. Lucero NB, Beckstrand RL, Callister LC, Sanchez Birkhead AC. Prevalence of postpartum depression among Hispanic immigrant women. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2012 Dec; 24(12):726-34.
10. Dois A, Uribe C, Villarroel L, Contreras A. Risk factors for post partum depression. Rev Med Chil. 2012 Jun; 140(6):719-25.
11. Prenoveau J, Craske M, Counsell N, West V, Davies B, Cooper P, Rapa E, Stein A. Postpartum GAD is a risk factor for postpartum MDD: the course and longitudinal relationships of postpartum gad and mdd. Depress Anxiety. 2013 Jan 3. Doi: 10.1002/da.22040. [Epub ahead of print]
12. Budhathoki N, Dahal M, Bhusal S, Ojha H, Pandey S, Basnet S. Violence against Women by their Husband and Postpartum Depression. J Nepal Health Res Counc. 2012 Sep; 10 (22):176-80.
13. Zhang X, Bullard KM, Cotch MF, Wilson MR, Rovner BW, McGwin G, Owsley C, Barker L, Crews JE, Saaddine JB. Association Between Depression and Functional Vision Loss in Persons 20 Years of Age or Older in the United States, NHANES 2005-2008 , JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013; 131(5):573-581.
14. Yochim BP, Mueller AE, Kane KD, Kahook MY. Prevalence of cognitive impairment, depression and anxiety symptoms among older adults with glaucoma. J Glaucoma, 2012; 21(4): 250-4
15. Jivraj J, Jivraj I, Tennant M, Rudnisky C. Prevalence and impact of depressive symptoms in patients with age-related macular degeneration. Can J Ophthalmol. 2013 Aug; 48(4):269-73. doi:
16. Kessler, R., Chiu, W., Demler, O. and Walters, E. 2005. Prevalence, Severity, and Comorbidity of 12-Month DSM-IV Disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication, Arch Gen Psychiatry, 62:617-62
17. Pop-Jordanova N, Markovska-Simoska S, Filev G, Pop-Jordanov J. (2013) The need for regular screening of postpartum depression, Prilozi, 34;1: 121-12
18. Pop-Jordanova ND, Polenakovic MH. (2013) Psychological characteristics of patients treated by chronic maintenance hemodialysis. Int J Artif Organs;36 (2):77-86 (IF 1,45
19. Pop-Jordanova N, Ristova J, Loleska S. Depression in Ophtalmologic patients, Prilozi, 2014, XXV, 2: 59-66
20. Pop-Jordanova N, Loleska S. Mitigation of some mental problems with cranial electrical stimulation. Medicus ; 2014; Vol. 19 (2): 215 -222
21. Pop-jordanova N, Fustić S, Zorcec T. Chronic diseases in children and adolescents - some psychological characteristics Paediatr Croat 2008;52: 71-76
22. Pop-Jordanova N. and Gucev Z. Some psychological aspects of T1DM in children and adolescents, Prilozi, 2015, 3: 113-118
23. Pop-Jordanova N, Demerdzieva A. Emotional health in cystic fibrosis, Prilozi, 2016, (1): 65-74
24. Cepoiu M, McCusker J, Cole MG, Sewitch M, Belzile E, Ciampi A. Recognition of depression by non-psychiatric physicians - a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23 (1):25-36.
25. Mitchell AJ, Vaze A, Rao S. Clinical diagnosis of depression in primary care: a meta-analysis. Lancet; 2009; 374(9690):609-619.
26. Sharp, LK, and MS Lipsky. Screening for Depression across the lifespan: A review of measures for use in primary care settings. Am. Fam. Physician 2001; 66 (6): 1001-1008.
27. Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A., & Brown, G. K. (1996). Manual for the Beck Depression Inventory-II. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corporation.
28. Steer RA, Rissmiller DJ, Beck AT. Use of the Beck Depression Inventory II with depressed geriatric inpatients. Behavior Research and Therapy, 2000; 38:311-318
29. Sangmee Ahn Jo, Moon Ho Park, Inho Jo, Seung-Ho Ryu, Changsu Han. Usefulness of Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) in the Korean elderly population. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 2016; 22 (3):218-223.
30. Pietrzak D, Pietrzak A, Krasowska D, Makara-Studzińska M, Madej A, Baranowska M, Borzęcki A. Depressiveness, measured with Beck Depression Inventory, in patients with psoriasis. J Affect Disord. 2016 Nov 30;209:229-234. doi:
31. Hanna J, Santo JB, Blair M, Smolewska K, Warriner E, Morrow SA. Comparing depression screening tools in persons with multiple sclerosis (ms). Rehabil Psychol. 2016 Dec 5. [Epub ahead of print]
32. Solaro C, Trabucco E, Signori A, Martinelli V, Radaelli M, Centonze D, Rossi S, Grasso MG, Clemenzi A, Bonavita S, D’Ambrosio A, Patti F, D’Amico E, Cruccu G, Truini A. Depressive Symptoms Correlate with Disability and Disease Course in Multiple Sclerosis Patients: An Italian Multi-Center Study Using the Beck Depression Inventory. PLoS One. 2016 Sep 15;11(9):e0160261. doi:
34. Sahin U, Adana F. Problem solving, loneliness, depression levels and associated factors in high school adolescents. Pak J Med Sci. 2016 Sep-Oct;32(5):1273-1278.
35. Tiskaoglu NS, Yazıcı A, Karlıdere T, Sari E, Oguz EY, Musaoglu M, Aslan S, Ermiş SS. Dry Eye Disease in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Depressive Disorder. Curr Eye Res. 2016 Nov 21:1-5. [Epub ahead of print]
36. Brenneisen Mayer F, Souza Santos I, Silveira PS, Itaqui Lopes MH, de Souza AR, Campos EP, de Abreu BA, Hoffman Ii I, Magalhães CR, Lima MC, Almeida R, Spinardi M, Tempski P Factors associated to depression and anxiety in medical students: a multicenter study. BMC Med Educ. 2016 Oct 26;16(1):282.
37. Tatishvili S, Sinitsa M, Jorbendaze R, Kavtaradze G. Factors associated with depressive episode in patients hospitalized with acute coronary events. Georgian Med News. 2016 Sep;(258):23-27.
38. Pietrzak J, Kwarta P, Karbownik M, Mokros Ł, Zdanowicz P, Miśkowiec D, Witusik A, Antczak A, Pietras T. Anxiety and depression levels in rheumatoid arthritis patients before and after joint replacement procedure. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2016 Oct 19;41(244):184-187.