Somatization in children consists of the persistent experience and complaints of somatic distress that cannot be fully explained by a medical diagnosis.
Working at the Psychophysiological Department at the University Clinic we are dealing with more than 100 children per year manifesting this kind of disorders.
The aim of this article is to summarize some specific characteristics of the somatoform disorder in a group of 243 children, mean age 10.31 (± 2.75) years for both genders, selected randomly. The used psychometric instruments are: CBCL, EPQ for children, and MMPI-201 for mothers.
The obtained results showed high scores for somatization, extroversion and accentuated anxiety for children; as well as a typical Hs-Hy personality profile for mothers.
The treatment with cognitive-behavior therapy and biofeedback showed very positive outcome.
5. Maj M Akiskal HS Mezzich JE Okasha A. Somatoform Disorders Wiley&Sons Ltd USA 2005.
6. Garralda E. Somatization in childhood. The child psychiatrist’s concern? CAP Faculty Meeting RCPsych Manchester September 2012
7. Shaw RJ DeMaso DR. Mental Health Consultation with Physically Ill Children and Adolescents. Somatoform Disorders. Clinical Manual of Pediatric Psychosomatic Medicine. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2006. 8: 143–166.
8. Shaw RJ Spratt EJ Bernard RS DeMaso DR. Somatoform Disorders. Shaw RJ DeMaso DR eds. Textbook of Pediatric Psychosomatic Medicine: Mental Health Consultation with Physically Ill Children. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Press; 2010. 8: 121–139.
9. Walker LS Garber J Smith CA Van Slyke DA Claar RL. The relation of daily stressors to somatic and emotional symptoms in children with and without recurrent abdominal pain. J Concul Clin Psychol. 2001 69 (1): 85–91.
10. Somatoform disorders. In: American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Text revision. Arlington VA: American Psychiatric Association; 2000: 485–512.
11. Schulte IE Petermann F. Somatoform disorders: 30 years of debate about criteria! What about children and adolescents? J Psychosom Res. 2011; 70(3): 218–28.
12. Silber TJ. Somatization disorders: diagnosis treatment and prognosis. Pediatr Rev. 2011 Feb; 32(2): 56–63.
13. Jellesma FC Rieffe C Terwogt MM Kneepkens CM. Somatic complaints and health care use in children: Mood emotion awareness and sense of coherence. Soc Sci Med. 2006 Nov; 63(10): 2640–8.
14. Rieffe C Terwogt M. Emotion understanding in children with frequent somatic complaints. European Journal of Developmental Psychology. 2004. 1: 31–47.
15. Miers AC Rieffe C Meerum Terwogt M Cowan R Linden W. The relation between anger coping strategies anger mood and somatic complaints in children and adolescents. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2007 Aug; 35(4): 653–64.
16. Kelly C Molcho M Doyle P Gabhainn SN. Psychosomatic symptoms among schoolchildren. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2010 Apr-Jun; 22(2): 229–35.
17. Ibeziako P Bujoreanu S. Approach to psychosomatic illness in adolescents. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2011 Aug. 23(4): 384–9.
18. Achenbach TM. Manual for the child behavior checklist (4–18) and 1991 Profile Burlington VT: University of Vermont Department of Psychiatry 1991.
19. Eysenck HJ Eysenck SBJ. Manual of the Eysenck personality questionnaire London Holder and Stroughton 1975.
20. Pop-Jordanova N. Zorcec T. Age Gender and Disorder Related Personality Characteristics of Pediatric Patients Measured by Eysenck Personality Questionnaire Acta Informatica Medica 2009; 18(4): 208–213.
21. Biro M. Praktikum za primenu i interpretaciju MMPI Savez društava psihologa Srbije Beograd 1981.
22. Pop-Jordanova N. Biofeedback application for somatoform disorders and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children. Int J Med Sci. 2009; 1(2): 17–22.
23. Dufton LM Dunn MJ Compas BE. Anxiety and somatic complaints in children with recurrent abdominal pain and anxiety disorders. J Pediatr Psychol. 2009; 34(2): 176–86.
24. Cruz N O'Reilly J Slomine BS Salorio CF. Emotional and neuropsychological profiles of children with complex regional pain syndrome type-I in an inpatient rehabilitation setting. Clin J Pain. 2011; 27(1): 27–34.
25. Konichezky A Gothelf D. Somatoform disorders in children and adolescents. Harefuah. 2011; 150(2): 180–4 203.
26. McCauley E Carlson GA Calderon R. The role of somatic complaints in the diagnosis of depression in children and adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1991; 30(4): 631–635.
27. Zwaigenbaum L Szatmari P Boyle MH Offord DR. Highly somatizing young adolescents and the risk of depression. Pediatrics. 1999; 103(6 Pt 1):1203–9.
28. Griffin A Christie D. Taking the psycho out of psychosomatic: using systemic approaches in a paediatric setting for the treatment of adolescents with unexplained physical symptoms. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2008 Oct; 13(4): 531–42.
29. Taylor S Garralda E. The management of somatoform disorder in childhood. Curr Op Psych. 2003; 16: 227–31.
30. Krishnakumar P Sumesh P Mathews L. Temperamental traits associated with conversion disorder. Indian Pediatr. 2006; 43(10): 895-9.
31. Brown RJ Schrag A Trimble MR. Dissociation childhood interpersonal trauma and family functionning in patients with somatization disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2005; 162(5): 899–905.
32. Roelofs K Spinhoven P Sandijck P Moene FC Hoogduin KA. The impact of early trauma and recent life-events on symptom severity in patients with conversion disorder. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2005; 193(8): 508–14.
33. Stuart S Noyes R Jr. Attachment and interpersonal communication in somatization. Psychosomatics. 1999; 40(1): 34–43.
34. Campo JV Bridge J Lucas A et al. Physical and emotional health of mothers of youth with functional abdominal pain. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; 161(2): 131–7.
35. Zeharia A Mukamel M Carel C Weitz R Danziger Y Mimouni M. Conversion reaction: management by the paediatrician. Eur J Pediatr. 1999;158(2): 160–164.
36. Mohaparta S Deo S Satapathy A Rath N. Somatoform disorder in children and adolescents German J Psychiatry. 2014; 17 (1): 19–24.