This work deals with the reliability assessment of a tanker ship hull structure subjected to a vertical bending moment and corrosion degradation. The progressive collapse and ultimate load carrying capacity are estimated based on experimentally tested scaled box-shaped-specimens. The translation of the strength estimate of the scaled specimen to the real tanker ship hull structure is performed based on the dimensional theory developing a step-wise linear stress-strain relationship. The load-carrying capacity is considered as a stochastic variable, and the uncertainties resulted from the scaled-specimen to the real-structure strength translation, and the subjected load of the real ship are also accounted for. A sensitivity analysis concerning the stochastic variables, included in the ultimate limit state function is performed. The partial safety factors, in the case of a scaled specimen and real structure, are also identified, and conclusions are derived.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Caldwell J. Ultimate longitudinal strength. Trans RINA 1965.
2. Smith S. Influence of Local Compressive Failure on Ultimate Longitudinal Strength of a Ship’s Hull. Proc Int Sym Pract Des Shipbuild 1977:73–9.
3. International Association of Classification Societies. Common Structural Rules (BC & OT). 2018.
4. Gordo JM Guedes Soares C. Approximate method to evaluate the hull girder collapse strength. Mar Struct 1996;9:449–70.
5. Tekgoz M Garbatov Y Guedes Soares C. Strength assessment of an intact and damaged container ship subjected to asymmetrical bending loadings. Mar Struct 2018;58:172–98.
6. Melchers RE. Development of new applied models for steel corrosion in marine applications including shipping. Ships Offshore Struct 2008;3:135–44.
7. Guedes Soares C Garbatov Y Zayed A Wang G. Corrosion wastage model for ship crude oil tanks. Corros Sci 2008;50:3095–106.
8. Bai Y Jin W-L. Reassessment of Jacket Structure. Mar. Struct. Des. Elsevier; 2016 p. 875–89.
9. Garbatov Y Guedes Soares C Parunov J Kodvanj J. Tensile strength assessment of corroded small scale specimens. Corros Sci 2014;85:296–303.
10. Paik JK Lee JM Ko J. Ultimate shear strength of plate elements with pit corrosion wastage. Thin-Walled Struct 2004;42:1161–76.
11. Saad-Eldeen S Garbatov Y Guedes Soares C. Analysis of plate deflections during ultimate strength experiments of corroded box girders. Thin-Walled Struct 2012;54:164–76.
12. Garbatov Y Saad-Eldeen S Guedes Soares C. Hull girder ultimate strength assessment based on experimental results and the dimensional theory. Eng Struct 2015;100:742–50.
13. Silva JE Garbatov Y Guedes Soares C. Ultimate strength assessment of rectangular steel plates subjected to a random localised corrosion degradation. Eng Struct 2013;52:295–305.
14. Silva JE Garbatov Y Guedes Soares C. Reliability assessment of a steel plate subjected to distributed and localized corrosion wastage. Eng Struct 2014;59:13–20.
15. Garbatov Y Tekgoz M Guedes Soares C. Experimental and numerical strength assessment of stiffened plates subjected to severe non-uniform corrosion degradation and compressive load. Ships Offshore Struct 2017;12:461–73.
16. Woloszyk K Kahsin M Garbatov Y. Numerical assessment of ultimate strength of severe corroded stiffened plates. Eng Struct 2018;168:346–54.
17. Mansour A. Methods of computing the probability of failure under extreme values of bending moment. J Sh Res 1972.
18. Mansour AE. Probabilistic design concepts in ship structural safety and reliability. Trans SNAME 1972;80:64–97.
19. Mansour AE Faulkner D. On applying the statistical approach to extreme sea loads and ship hull strength. Trans RINA 1972;114:273–314.
20. Saydam D Frangopol DM. Performance assessment of damaged ship hulls. Ocean Eng 2013;68:65–76.
21. Zayed A Garbatov Y Guedes Soares C. Reliability of ship hulls subjected to corrosion and maintenance. Struct Saf 2013;43:1–11.
22. Teixeira AP Ivanov LD Guedes Soares C. Assessment of characteristic values of the ultimate strength of corroded steel plates with initial imperfections. Eng Struct 2013;56:517–27.
23. Saad-Eldeen S Garbatov Y Guedes Soares C. Experimental assessment of the ultimate strength of a box girder subjected to severe corrosion. Mar Struct 2011;24:338–57.
24. Buckingham E. Dimensional analysis. Phys Rev 1914;4(345):12–23.