The focus of the paper is in quayside transport and storage yard operations in container terminals. Relevant algorithms have been applied and a simulation model adopted. Evaluative criteria chosen for that model were: the total time of ship unloading and the truck utilization level. Recommendations for unloading in berth and yard areas were analysed in three different case studies. Results of simulations and deterministic model based analyses are included.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Carlo H.J. Vis I.F.A. and Roodbergen K.J.: Storage yard operations in container terminals: Literature overview trends and research directions European Journal of Operational Research Vol. 235 (2014) pp. 412-430.
2. Carlo H.J. Vis I.F.A. and Roodbergen K.J.: Transport operations in container terminals: Literature overview trends research directions and classification scheme. European Journal of Operational Research Vol. 236 (2014) pp. 1-13.
3. Forster F. and Bortfeldt A.: A tree search procedure for the container relocation problem. Computers & Operations Research Vol. 39 (2012) pp. 299-309.
4. Groover M.P.: Automation production systems and computer-integrated manufacturing Chapter 10 Pearson Prentice - Hall New Jersey 2008.
5. Günter H.O. and Kim K.H.: Container terminals and terminal operations OR Spectrum Vol. 28 (2006) pp. 437-445.
6. Kia M. Shayan E. and Ghotb F.: Investigation of port capacity under a new approach by computer simulation Computers & Industrial Engineering Vol. 42 (2002) pp. 533-540.
7. Murty K.G. Liu J. Wan Y. and Linn R.: A decision support system for operations in container terminal Decision Support Systems Vol. 39 (2005) pp. 309-332.
8. Rashidi H. and Tsang E.P.K.: Novel constraints satisfaction models for optimization problems in container terminals. Applied Mathematical Modelling Vol. 37 (2013) pp. 3601-3634.
9. Steenken D. Voß S. and Stahlbock R.: Container terminal operation and operations research - a classification and literature review OR Spectrum Vol. 26 (2004) pp. 3-49.
10. Urbanyi-Popiolek I. and Klopott M.: Container terminals and port city interface - a study of Gdynia and Gdansk ports Transportation Research Procedia Vol. 16 (2016) pp. 517-526.
11. Vis I.F.A.: A comparative analysis of storage and retrieval equipment at container terminal Intl. Journal of Production Economics Vol. 103 (2006) pp. 680-693.
12. Witness’ver.13. Visual Interactive Simulation Software User manual Lanner Group Ltd Redditch-Worcs UK 2010-2013.
13. Won S.H. and Kim K.H.: An integrated framework for various operation plans in container terminals. Polish Maritime Research No. 2 (2009) pp. 51-61.
14. Xin J. Negenborn R.R. Corman F. and Lodewijks G.: Control of interacting machines in automated container terminals using a sequential planning approach for collision avoidance. Transportation Research Part C Vol. 60 (2015) pp. 377-396.
15. Yun W.Y. and Choi Y.S.: A simulation model for container- terminal operation analysis using an object-oriented approach Intl. Journal of Production Economics Vol. 59 (1999) pp. 221-230.
16. Zhang X. Zeng Q. and Yang Z.: Modeling the mixed storage strategy for quay crane double cycling in container terminals. Transportation Research Part E Vol. 94 (2016) pp. 171-187.
17. Zhen L. Xu Z. Wang K. and Ding Y.: Multi-period yard template planning in container terminals. Transportation Research Part B Vol. 93 (2016) pp. 700-719.