The physical modelling of subsoil behaviour and soil-structure interaction is essential for the proper design of offshore structures and port infrastructure. A brief introduction to such modelling of geoengineering problems is presented and some methods and experimental devices are described. The relationships between modelling scales are given. Some examples of penetration testing results in centrifuge and calibration chamber are presented. Prospects for physical modelling in geotechnics are also described.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Foray P. Bałachowski L. Colliat J -L.? : Bearing capacity of model piles driven into dense over-consolidated sand. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 1998 35(2) pp. 374-385 10.1139/t97-082.
2. Tsuha C. D. H. C. Aoki N. Rault G. Thorel L. & Garnier J. Evaluation of the efficiencies of helical anchor plates in sand by centrifuge model tests. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 2012 49(9) pp. 1102-1114.
3. Fioravante V. : Load transfer from a raft to a pile with an interposed layer. Géotechnique 2011 61(2) pp.121-132.
4. Le Kouby A. Dupla J. C. Canou J. & Francis R.: The effects of installation order on the response of a pile group in silica sand. Soils and Foundations 2016 56(2) pp.174-188.
5. Falborski T. Jankowski R.: Polymeric Bearings - A New Base Isolation System to Reduce Structural Damage during Earthquakes. 10th International Conference on Damage Assessment of Structures (DAMAS) 2013. http://www.scientific.net/KEM.569-570.143
6. Jankowski R.: Experimental study on earthquake-induced pounding between structural elements made of different building materials. Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics 2010 Vol. 39 Issue 3 pp. 343-354 DOI: 10.1002/eqe.941
7. Kozaczka E. Grelowska G. Kozaczka S.: Images of the Seabed of the Gulf of Gdansk Obtained by Means of the Parametric Sonar. Acta Physica Polonica A. 2010Vol. 118 No.1 pp. 91-94
8. Grelowska G. Kozaczka E.: Sounding of Layered Marine Bottom - Model Investigations. Acta Physica Polonica A. 2010Vol. 118 No.1 pp. 66-70.
9. Grelowska G. Kozaczka E. Nowicki A. Kozaczka S.: Investigation of Transmit and Receive Characteristics of Laboratory Model for the Parametric Echosounder. Acta Physica Polonica A. 2013Vol. 123 No.6 pp. 1094-1097.
10. Ghionna V.N. Jamiolkowski M. : A critical appraisal of calibration chamber testing in sands. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Calibration Chamber Testing Clarkson Univ. Potsdam USA 1991. Edited by A.-B. Huang pp. 13-37.
11. Dijkstra J. Gaudin C. & White D. J. : Comparison of failure modes below footings on carbonate and silica sands. International Journal of Physical Modelling in Geotechnics 2013 13 (1).
12. Hazarika H. Kohama E. and Sugano T.: Underwater shake table on waterfront structures protected with tire chips cushion. J. Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering (ASCE) 2008 Vol. 134 No.12.
13. Mahmoud S. Abd-Elhameed A. Mahmoud S. Jankowski R.: Earthquake-induced pounding between equal height multi-storey buildings considering soil-structure interaction. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 2013 Vol. 11 Issue 4 pp.1021-1048. http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s10518-012-9411-6
14. Dymarski C. Dymarski P.: Developing Methodology for Model Tests of Floating Platforms in Low -Depth Towing Tank. Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 2016 Vol. 16 Issue 1 pp. 159-167
15. Garnier J. Gaudin C. Springman S. M. Culligan P. J. Goodings D. Konig D. ... & Thorel L. : Catalogue of scaling laws and similitude questions in geotechnical centrifuge modelling. International Journal of Physical Modelling in Geotechnics 2007 7(3) 1.
16. Konkol J. : Derivation of the scaling laws used in geotechnical centrifuge modelling-application of dimensional analysis and Buckingham Π theorem. Technical Sciences/ University of Warmia and Mazury Olsztyn 2014.
17. Foray P. Bałachowski L. & Rault G. : Scale effect in shaft friction due to the localization of deformations. In Proceedings of the international conference on centrifuge Tokyo 1998 Vol. 98 pp. 211-216.
18. Madabhushi G. : Centrifuge Modelling for Civil Engineers. CRC Press.
19 2015 http://eurofuge2016.ifsttar.fr
20. Bayton S.M. Black J.A. : The effect of soil density on offshore wind turbine monopile foundation performance. Proc. of 3rd European Conference on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics Eurofuge 2016 Nantes pp. 239-244.
21. Loli M. Kassas K. & Anastasopoulos I. : Centrifuge testing of a hybrid foundation for offshore wind turbines: experimental technique and preliminary results. Proc. of 3rd European Conference on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics Eurofuge 2016 Nantes pp. 263-268.
22. Blanc M. Thorel L. Isorna R. Dano C. Kotronis P. Philippe M. : Centrifuge investigation of axial cyclic behaviour of a single pile used for the foundation of a jacket type offshore wind turbine. Proc. Frontiers in offshore geotechnics ISFOG 2015 Oslo Norway CRC Press pp. 521-526.
23. Bałachowski L. : Size effect in centrifuge cone penetration tests. Archives of Hydro-Engineering and Environmental Mechanics 2007 54(3) pp. 161-181.
24. Bałachowski L. Physical modelling in sands in a wide range of stress level: Application to the calibration of CPTU and DMT tests. Wydawnictwo Politechniki Gdańskiej Gdańsk 2008.
25. Bałachowski L. : Penetration resistance of Lubiatowo sand in calibration chamber tests. Archives of Hydro- Engineering and Environmental Mechanics 2006 53(4) pp. 311-329.
26. Mortara G. Mangiola A. & Ghionna V. N. : Cyclic shear stress degradation and post-cyclic behaviour from sandsteel interface direct shear tests. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 2007 44(7) pp. 739-752.
27. Dymarski C. Dymarski P. Żywicki J.: Design and strength calculations of the tripod support structure for offshore power plant. Polish Maritime Research 2015Vol. 22 No.1(85) pp. 36-46.