The hybrid structures show excellent performance on vibration reduction for ship, aircraft and spacecraft designs. Meanwhile, the topology optimization is widely used for structure vibration reduction and weight control. The design of hybrid structures considering simultaneous materials selection and topology optimization are big challenges in theoretical study and engineering applications. In this paper, according to the proposed laminate component method (LCM) and solid isotropic microstructure with penalty (SIMP) method, the mathematical formulations are presented for concurrent materials selection and topology optimizations of hybrid structures. Thickness distributions of the plies in laminate components are defined as materials selection design variables by LCM method. Relative densities of elements in the components are defined as topology design variables by SIMP method. Design examples of hybrid 3-bar truss structures and hybrid floating raft with vibration reduction requirements verified the effectiveness of the presented optimization models.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Asundi A. Choi A. (1997) “Fiber metal laminates: an advanced material for future aircraft.” Journal of Materials processing technology. 63 384-94.
2. Barsoum R. (2003). “The best of both worlds: hybrid ship hulls use composites and steel.” Amptiac Quart. 7(3) 55-61.
3. BendsOe M. Sigmund O. (2003). “Topology optimization: theory methods and applications.” Springer Verlag; 2nd; ISBN 3540429921.
4. BendsOe M. (1989). “Optimal shape design as a material distribution problem.” Struct. Optim 1:193-202.
5. Blasques J. P. Stolpe M. (2012). “Multi-material topology optimization of laminated composite beam cross sections.” Composite Structures. 94 3278-3289.
6. Botelho E.C. Campos A.N. Barros E. D. (2006). “Damping behavior of continuous fiber/metal composite materials by the free vibration method.” Composites Part B: engineering. 37 255-263.
7. Cao J. Grenestedt J. Maroun W. (2007). “Steel truss/ composite skin hybrid ship hull. Part I: Design and analysis.” Composites Part A-Applied Science and Manufacturing. 38(7) 1755-1762.
8. Cherkaev A. (2012). “Optimal three-material wheel assemblage of conducting and elastic composites.” International Journal of Engineering Science. 59 27-39.
9. Coelho P. G. Cardoso J. B . Fernandes P. R. etc. (2011). “Parallel computing techniques applied to the simultaneous design of structure and material.” Advances in Engineering Software. 42 219-227.
10. Hidde J. Herakovich C. (1992). “Inelastic response of hybrid composite laminates.” Journal of Composite Materials. 26 2-19.
11. Kawai M. Morishita M. Tomura S. (1998). “Inelastic behavior and strength offiber-metal hybrid composite.” International journal of Mechanical Sciences. 40 183-198.
12. Kravanja S. Siliha S. Kravanja Z. (2005). “The multilevel MINLP optimization approach to structural synthesis: the simultaneous topology material standard and rounded dimension optimization.” Advances in Engineering Software. 36 568-583
13. Lee E. Martins J. R. R. A. (2012). “Structural topology optimization with design-dependent pressure loads.” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and engineering. 233 40-48．
14. Pan J. Wang D. Y. (2006) “Truss topology optimization under dynamic constraints.” Vibration and Shock. 25 (4) 8-12.
15. Rahul G. S. Chakraborty D. Dutta A. (2006). “Multiobjective optimization of hybrid laminates subjected to transverse impact.” Composite Structures. 73 360-369.
16. Rakshit S. Ananthasuresh G. K. (2008). “Simultaneous material selection and geometry design of statically determinate trusses using continuous optimization.” Structure and Multidisciplinary Optimization. 35 55-68.
17. Sigmund O. Torquato A. S. (1999). “Design of smart composite materials using topology optimization.” Smart Material & Structures. 8 365-379.
18. Sui Y. K. Yang D. Q. (1998). “A new method for structural topological optimization based on the concept of independent continuous variables and smooth model.” Acta Mechanica Sinica (English Edition). 18(2) 179-185.
19. Sun X. Yang F. Xie J. Huang Y. M. Zuo X. (2011). “Topology Optimization of Composite Structure Using Bi-Directional Evolutionary Structural Optimization Method.” Procedia Engineering. 14 2980-2985．
20. Xie X. L. (2011). “Key technologies on design and analysis of deepsea ROV and hybrid structures”. Master Degree Thesis Shanghai. Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
21. Xie Y. M. Steven G P. (1997). “Evolutionary structural optimization.” Berlin Heidelberg New York: Springer.
22. Xing X. L. Wang M. Q. Song D. (2005). “Study on vibration characteristic of flexible basement floating raft vibration-isolation system.” Mechanical Science and Technology. 2005-07.
23. Xiong Y.P. Song K.J. Wang C. Han Y.C. (1996). “Power flow analysis for a new isolation system flexible floating raft.” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering. 9 260-264.
24. Yang D. Q. Xie X. L. Chen W. (2012). “Laminate component method for hybrid structure optimal design on vibration reduction.” Ships and Offshore Structures. 7(3) 321-332.
25. Yu L. B. (2007). “Research on Vibration Isolation Characteristics of the Floating Raft and Topology Optimization of Raft Body.” Wuhan P.R.China. Huazhong University of Science and Technology.