For the first time since its creation, the European Union (EU) has been living its probably most significant identity crisis. This crisis has its roots in different critical situations that have hit the EU, have affected its functioning and have fundamentally questioned its legitimacy. The gaps in the EU integration process have been uncovered and the fragmentation of EU policies has become a source of different risks.
On the anniversary of sixty years of the Rome Treaties, this Special Issue aims to reflect on the paradigms for EU law looking beyond their competing accounts of EU integration. The analysis is developed through a series of contributions that challenge the paradigms in different directions. The discussion is articulated on two levels. On the one hand, a group of contributions focuses on the historical and legal analysis of the emergence and transformation of the EU legal order. These contributions delve deeper into the absence of a European identity and go beyond the inherent critique that the EU is a demoi-cracy that struggles with a democratic disconnect or even deficit. On the other hand, other contributions debate paradigms and their implementation in important policy domains. These contributions aim to give a more practical perspective on the constitutional and/or administrative character of the European Union, showing its implications and concrete questions.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
• Avbelj Matej and Komárek Jan (eds) 2012 Constitutional Pluralism in the European Union and Beyond Hart Publishing Oxford.
• Avbelj Matej Fontanelli Filippo and Martinico Giuseppe (eds) 2014 Kadi on trial Routledge London.
• Avbelj Matej. 2008 ‘Questioning EU Constitutionalisms’ German Law Journal IX(1): 1-26.
• Azoulai Loïc 2011 ‘The Force and Forms of European Legal Integration’ EUI Working Paper 6. Available at http://cadmus.eui.eu/bitstream/handle/1814/16894/LAW_2011_06.pdf?sequence=1.
• Besselink Leonard 2016 ‘The Bite the Bark and the Howl. Article 7 TEU and the Rule of Law Initiatives’ Amsterdam Law School Research Paper No. 2016-02. Available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2715943.
• Curtin Deirdre and Mendes Joana 2011 ‘Transparence et participation: des principes démocratiques pour l’administration de l’Union Européenne’ Revue Française d’Administration Publique I(137-138): 101-121.
• de Búrca Gráinne 2010 ‘The European Court of Justice and the International Legal Order After Kadi’ Harvard International Law Journal LI(1): 1-49.
• de Búrca Gráinne and Weiler Joseph H H 2011 The Worlds of European Constitutionalism Cambridge University Press Cambridge.
• Eriksen Erik Oddvar Fossum John Erik and Menéndez Agustín José (eds) 2004 Developing a Constitution for Europe Routledge London.
• Grimm Dieter 1995 ‘Does Europe Need a Constitution?’ European Law Journal I(3): 282-302.
• Habermas Jürgen 1995 ‘Remarks on Dieter Grimm’s “Does Europe Need a Constitution?”’ European Law Journal I(3): 303-307.
• Halberstam Daniel and Stein Eric 2009 ‘The United Nations the European Union and the King of Sweden: Economic sanctions and individual rights in a plural world order’ Common Market Law Review XLVI(1): 13–72.
• Hofmann Herwig C H and Türk Alexander H (eds) 2006 EU Administrative Governance Elgar Publishing Cheltenham.
• Joerges Christian 1996 ‘Taking the Law Seriously: On Political Science and the Role of Law in the Process of European Integration’ European Law Journal II(2): 105-135.
• Joerges Christian 2001 ‘Deliberative Supranationalism – A Defence’ European Integration Online Papers (EIoP) V(8). Available at http://eiop.or.at/eiop/pdf/2001-008.pdfhttp://eiop.or.at/eiop/texte/2001-008a.htm.
• Joerges Christian 2002 ‘Deliberative Supranationalism’—Two Defences’ European Law Journal VIII(1): 133–151.
• Joerges Christian and Dehousse Renaud (eds) 2002 Good Governance in Europe's Integrated Market Oxford University Press Oxford.
• Joerges Christian and Glinski Carola (eds) 2014 The European Crisis and the Transformation of Transnational Governance. Authoritarian Managerialism versus Democratic Governance Hart Publishing Oxford.
• Joerges Christian and Neyer Jürgen 1997 ‘From Intergovernmental Bargaining to Deliberative Political Processes: The Constitutionalisation of Comitology’ European Law Journal III(3): 273-299.
• Kingsbury Benedict Krisch Nico and Stewart Richard B 2005 ‘The Emergence of Global Administrative Law’ Law and Contemporary Problems LXVIII(15): 15-62.
• Kochenov Dimitry 2017 ‘The EU and the rule of Law’ in Adams Maurice Meuwese Anne and Hirsch Ballin Ernst (eds) Constitutionalism and the Rule of Law Cambridge University Press Cambridge 419-445.
• Krisch Nico 2010 Beyond Constitutionalism. The Pluralist Structure of Postnational Law Oxford University Press Oxford.
• Krisch Nico and Kingsbury Benedict 2006 ‘Introduction: Global Governance and Global Administrative Law in the International Legal Order’ European Journal of International Law XVII(1): 1-13.
• Kumm Mattias 2005 ‘The Jurisprudence of Constitutional Conflict: Constitutional Supremacy in Europe Before and After the Constitutional Treaty’ European Law Journal XI(3): 262-307.
• Lenaerts Koen 2015 ‘The Court’s Outer and Inner Selves: Exploring the External and Internal legitimacy of the European Court of Justice’ in Adams Maurice de Waele Henri Meeusen Johan and Straetmans Gert (eds) Judging Europe’s Judges Hart Oxford 13-60.
• Lindseth Peter L 1999 ‘Democratic Legitimacy and the Administrative Character of Supranationalism: The Example of the European Community’ Columbia Law Review XCIX: 628-738.
• Lindseth Peter L 2010 Power and Legitimacy: Reconciling Europe and the Nation-State Oxford University Press Oxford-New York.
• MacCormick Neil 1993 ‘Beyond the Sovereign State’ Modern Law Review LVI(1): 1-18.
• MacCormick Neil 1999 Questioning Sovereignty: Law State and Nation in the European Commonwealth Oxford University Press Oxford.
• Majone Giandomenico 2005 Dilemmas of European Integration: the Ambiguities and Pitfalls of Integration by Stealth Oxford University Press Oxford-New York.
• Majone Giandomenico 2014 Rethinking the Union of Europe Post-Crisis: Has Integration Gone Too Far? Cambridge University Press Cambridge.
• Martinico Giuseppe 2012 The Tangled Complexity of the EU Constitutional Process Routledge London.
• Mayer Franz C 2010 ‘Van Gend en Loos: The Foundation of a Community of Law’ in Maduro Miguel Poiares and Azoulai Loïc (eds) The Past and Future of EU Law: The Classics of EU Law Revisited on the 50th Anniversary of the Rome Treaty Hart Publisher Oxford 16-25.
• Menéndez Agustín José and Fossum John Erik 2011 The Constitutional Gift. A Constitutional Theory for a Democratic European Union Rowman & Littlefield Lanham.
• Poiares Maduro Miguel 2005 ‘The Constitutional treaty and the Nature of European Constitutionalism: the Tension between Intergovernamentalism and Constitutionalism in the European Union’ in Curtin Deirdre Kellermann Alfred E. and Blockmans Steven (eds) The EU Constitution: The Best Way Forward? Asser Press The Hague 81-104.
• Poiares Maduro Miguel 2007 ‘Interpreting European Law − Judicial Adjudication in a Context of Constitutional Pluralism’ European Journal of Legal Studies I(2): 1-21. Available at www.ejls.eu/2/25UK.pdf.
• Poiares Maduro Miguel 2009 ‘Courts and Pluralism: Essay on a Theory of Judicial Adjudication in the Context of Legal and Constitutional Pluralism’ in Dunoff Jeffrey L and Trachtman Joel P (eds) Ruling the World? Constitutionalism International Law and Global Governance Cambridge University Press Cambridge 356-379.
• Poiares Maduro Miguel 2010 ‘Passion and Reason in European Integration’. Available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1709950.
• Scheppele Kim Lane 2017 ‘Constitutional Coups in EU Law’ in Adams Maurice Meuwese Anne and Hirsch Ballin Ernst (eds) Constitutionalism and the Rule of Law Cambridge University Press Cambridge 446-478.
• Smismans Stijn 2004 Law Legitimacy and European Governance. Functional Participation in Social Regulation Oxford University Press Oxford.
• Stein Eric 1981 ‘Lawyers Judges and the Making of a Transnational Constitution’ American Journal of International Law LXXV(1): 1-27.
• Walker Neil 2002 ‘The Idea of Constitutional Pluralism’ Modern Law Review LXV(3): 317-359.
• Walker Neil 2008 ‘Taking Constitutionalism Beyond the State’ Political Studies LVI(10): 519-543.
• Weiler Joseph H H 1991 ‘The Transformation of Europe’ The Yale Law Journal C(8): 2403-2483.
• Weiler Joseph H H 1996 ‘European Neo-constitutionalism: in Search of Foundations for the European Constitutional Order’ Political Studies XLIV(3): 517–533.
• Weiler Joseph H H 1999 The Constitution of Europe Cambridge University Press Cambridge.
SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) 2018: 0.105 Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2018: 0.03
researchers, academics, practitioners interested in the field of political, economic and legal issues in federal states, regional organizations, and international organizations at global level