COSAC has played an active role in fostering and developing interparliamentary he central question addressed here is to assess whether COSAC is currently structured to allow NPs to obtain more information and access to the policy and decision-making circuits at EU level and, therefore, if NPs are benefiting from COSAC or are they, on the contrary, lagging behind and lost amidst so many interparliamentary meetings?
It is argued that COSAC occupies a key role in the multipolarised system of with the “global picture” and therefore in a unique position to bring coherence to the overall system. This paper therefore aims at putting forward some ideas and approaches regarding the role of COSAC in the effectiveness of interparliamentary cooperation, covering not only its present proceedings and output, but also some thoughts for further reflection on the future strengthening of COSAC.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
• Auel Katrin and Benz Arthur 2005 ‘The Politics of Adaptation: the Europeanisation of National Parliamentary Systems’ Journal of Legislative Studies XI(3-4): 372-393.
• Auel Katrin and Christiansen Thomas 2015 ‘After Lisbon: NPs in the European Union’ West European Politics XXXVIII(2): 261-281.
• Besselink Leonard 2007 A composite European Constitution Europa Law Publishing Groningen.
• Cooper Ian 2012 ‘A “Virtual Third Chamber” for the European Union? National Parliaments after the Treaty of Lisbon’ West European Politics XXXV(3): 441-465.
• Cooper Ian 2017 ‘The IPCs of the EU: discussion forums or oversight bodies?’ (draft).
• Crum Ben and Fossum John Erik 2009 ‘The Multilevel Parliamentary Field: a framework for theorizing representative democracy in the EU’ European Political Science Review I(2): 249-271.
• De Wilde Pieter 2012 ‘Why the early warning mechanism does not alleviate the democratic deficit’ OPAL Online Paper No. 6/2012.
• Dias Pinheiro Bruno 2012 The Treaty of Lisbon and the adaptation of NPs to the challenges of European integration: the case of the permanent representatives of NPs to the EU institutions ISCSP Lisbon abstract available at https://www.repository.utl.pt/bitstream/10400.5/5124/1/ABSTRACT%20Bruno%20Dias%20Pinheiro%5b1%5d.pdf.
• Dias Pinheiro Bruno 2016 ‘The Role of COSAC in the Changing Environment of National Parliaments in the EU: An Identity Crisis?’ in Lupo Nicola and Fasone Cristina (eds) Interparliamentary Cooperation in the Composite European Constitution Hart Publishing Oxford 303-310.
• Dias Pinheiro Bruno 2017 ‘Interparliamentary Cooperation between NPs’ in Jonsson Cornell Anna and Goldoni Marco (eds) National and Regional Parliaments in the EU-Legislative Procedure Post-Lisbon: The Impact of the Early Warning Mechanism Hart Publishing Oxford 87-113.
• Fabbrini Federico and Granat Katarzyna 2013 ‘“Yellow card but no foul”: The role of the NPs under the Subsidiarity Protocol and the Commission proposal for an EU regulation on the right to strike’ Common Market Law Review L(1): 115-143.
• Fromage Diane 2017 ‘Standing committees in interparliamentary cooperation in the post-Lisbon era: towards the end of the European Affairs Committees’ predominance?’ in Lupo Nicola and Fasone Cristina (eds) Interparliamentary Cooperation in the Composite European Constitution Hart Publishing Oxford 113-130.
• Goldoni Marco 2014 ‘The early warning system and the Monti II Regulation: The case for a political interpretation’ European Constitutional Law Review X(1): 90-108.
• Griglio Elena and Lupo Nicola 2014 ‘Towards and asymmetric EU without an asymmetric EP’ Working Paper Series LUISS Guido Carli School of Government.
• Jančić Davor 2013 ‘NPs in the EU: Biting the subsidiarity bait?’ International Journal of Constitutional Law Blog 25 Sept. 2013 www.iconnectblog.com/2013/09/national-parliaments-in-the-eu-biting-the-subsidiarity-bait.
• Jančić Davor 2015 ‘The Game of Cards: NPs in the EU and the future of the early warning mechanism and the political dialogue’ Common Market Law Review LII(4): 939-975.
• Kiiver Philipp 2006 National parliaments in the European Union: a critical view on EU constitution-building Aspen Publishers Frederick MD.
• Kiiver Philipp 2008 ‘The Treaty of Lisbon the National Parliaments and the Principle of Subsidiarity’ Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law XV(1): 77-83.
• Kiiver Philipp 2012 ‘The conduct of subsidiarity checks of EU legislative proposals by NPs: Analysis observations and practical recommendation’ ERA Forum XII: 535-547.
• Raunio Tapio and Wiberg Matti 2010 ‘How to Measure the Europeanisation of a National Legislature?’ Scandinavian Political Studies XXXIII(1): 74-92.
SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) 2018: 0.105 Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2018: 0.03
researchers, academics, practitioners interested in the field of political, economic and legal issues in federal states, regional organizations, and international organizations at global level