In a global context where popular referenda are increasingly used to decide contested issues, this paper aims at exploring the framework in which, in October 2017, two referenda took place in the Italian northern regions of Veneto and Lombardia to seek additional forms and conditions of autonomy within the Italian regional state as painted by the Constitution after the 2001 reform. By adopting mainly an analytical perspective, this contribution studies the political and constitutional underpinnings of the two referenda while at the same time providing a cursory comparative account of differential and asymmetric regionalism.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
· Amoretti Ugo 2002 ‘A new look at federalism: Italy decentralizes’ Journal of Democracy XIII(2): 126-140.
· Baldini Gianfranco & Baldi Brunetta 2014 ‘Decentralization in Italy and the Troubles of Federalization’ Regional and Federal Studies XXIV(1): 87-108.
· Bin Roberto & Falcon Domenico 2012 Diritto regionale Il Mulino Bologna.
· Caretti Paolo & Tarli Barbieri Giovanni 2012 Diritto regionale Giappichelli Torino.
· Cartei Gian Franco & Ferraro Vincenzo 2002 ‘Reform of the Fifth Title of the Italian Constitution: A First Step Towards a Federal System’ European Public Law VIII(4): 445-454.
· D’Atena Antonio 2014 ‘Between Spain and Germany: the Historical Models of Italian Regionalism’ in Mangiameli Stelio (ed) Italian Regionalism: Between Unitary Traditions and Federal Processes. Investigating Italy’s Form of State Springer Cham Heidelberg 67-79.
· Del Duca Louis & Del Duca Patrick 2006 ‘An Italian Federalism? - The State its Institutions and National Culture as Rule of Law Guarantor’ American Journal of Comparative Law LIV(4): 799-842.
· Desideri Carlo 2014 ‘A Short History of Regionalism in Italy Since the Republican Constitution. Italian Regionalism and its Evolution’ in Mangiameli Stelio (ed) Italian Regionalism: Between Unitary Traditions and Federal Processes. Investigating Italy’s Form of State Springer Cham Heidelberg 35-65.
· Fabbrini Sergio & Brunazzo Marco 2003 ‘Federalizing Italy: The Convergent Effects of Europeanization and Domestic Mobilization’ Regional and Federal Studies XIII(1): 100-120.
· Ferrara Antonio and Scarpone Davide 2014 ‘The Special Regions and the Autonomous Provinces’ in Mangiameli Stelio (ed) Italian Regionalism: Between Unitary Traditions and Federal Processes. Investigating Italy’s Form of State Springer Cham Heidelberg 111-135.
· Ferreres Comella Victor 2014 ‘The Spanish Constitutional Court confronts Catalonia’s “Right to Decide” (Comment on Judgment 42/2014)’ European Constitutional Law Review X(3): 571-590.
· Galli della Loggia Ernesto 2010 L’identità italiana Il Mulino Bologna.
· Groppi Tania & Scattone Nicoletta 2006 ‘Italy: The Subsidiarity Principle’ International Journal of Constitutional Law IV(1): 131-137.
· Mangiameli Stelio 2014 ‘The Regions and the Reforms: Issues Resolved and Problems Pending’ in Mangiameli Stelio (ed) Italian Regionalism: Between Unitary Traditions and Federal Processes. Investigating Italy’s Form of State Springer Cham Heidelberg 1-33
· Mazzoleni Mario 2009 ‘The Italian regionalization: a story of partisan logics’ Modern Italy XIV(2): 135-150.
· Pinelli Cesare 2006 ‘The 1948 Italian Constitution and the 2006 Referendum: Food for Thought’ European Constitutional Law Review II(3): 329-340.
· Rolla Giancarlo 2015 ‘Alcune Considerazioni in Merito al Fondamento Costituzionale del Regionalismo Speciale. L’Apporto del Diritto Comparato’ federalismi.it XIII: 1-22.
· Tarlton Charles D. 1965 ‘Symmetry and Asymmetry as Elements of Federalism: A Theoretical Speculation’ The Journal of Politics XXVII (4): 861-874.
· Zanardi Alberto 2006 ‘Il regionalismo differenziato nell’articolo 116 della Costituzione: una breve nota’ federalismi.it XXII: 1-8.
SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) 2018: 0.105 Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2018: 0.03
researchers, academics, practitioners interested in the field of political, economic and legal issues in federal states, regional organizations, and international organizations at global level