The Treaty of Lisbon introduced a new system of weighted votes in the Council, which radically departs from the principles on which the distribution of votes between the Member States of the EU was based for more than half a century. At the same time, the system of double majority is fundamentally different from the assumptions on which voting systems in federal states are based, including in the Bundesrat. Systems used in federal states are usually based on a compromise between the equality of states, and the equality of citizens. Consequently, in the Nice system, smaller Member States in the EU had relatively greater power compared to their populations than smaller federal units in the German Bundesrat. The results presented in this paper indicate that the Lisbon system of voting in the Council differs significantly from voting systems in federal states.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
· Albert Max 2003 ‘The Voting Power Approach: Measurement without Theory’ European Union Politics IV(3): 351-366.
· Albert Max 2004 ‘The voting Power Approach: Unresolved Ambiguities’ European Union Politics V(1): 139-146.
· Baldwin Richard and Widgrén Mika 2004 ‘Winners and losers under various dual-majority voting rules for the EU’s Council of Ministers’ CEPS Policy Brief 50 1-35.
· Banzhaf John F. 1965 ‘Weighted voting does not work: A mathematical analysis’ Rutgers Law Review XIX(2): 317-343.
· Barry Brian 1980 ’Is It Better to be Powerful or Lucky part 2’ Political Studies XXVIII(3): 317-343.
· Burgess Michael 2000 Federalism and European Union. The Building of Europe 1950-2000 Routledge London and New York.
· Conway Gerard 2011 ‘Recovering a separation of powers in the European Union’ European Law Journal XVII(3): 308-322.
· Council Decision (EU Euratom) 2015/2393 of 8 December 2015 amending the Council's Rules of Procedure OJ 2015 L 332.
· Czaputowicz Jacek 2014 ‘Demokracja a suwerenność w Unii Europejskiej’ (Democracy and Sovereignty in the European Union) in Wojtaszczyk Konstanty Mizerska-Wrotkowska Małgorzata Jakubowski Wojciech (eds) Polska w procesie integracji europejskiej: dekada doświadczeń (2004-2014) (Poland in the Process of European Integration: A Decade of Experience) Wydział Dziennikarstwa i Nauk Politycznych Uniwersytet Warszawski Warszawa.
· von Dosenrode Søren 2016 ‘Federalism’ in von Dosenrode Søren (ed) Approaching the European Federation? Routledge London New York.
· Easton David 1965 A Systems Analysis of Political Life John Wiley New York.
· Eurostat 2015 Population without the citizenship of the reporting country (data for 2014) Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/tgm/web/_download/Eurostat_Table_tps00157FlagDesc_56058361-b81d-43d6-9cff-8291ad3eec6e.xls.
· Fabbrini Sergio 2012 ‘The democratic governance of the Euro Comments by Sergio Fabbrini’ RSCAS Policy Papers 08: 27-31.
· Felsenthal Dan S. and Machover Moshé 1998 The measurement of voting power. Theory and practice problems and paradoxes Edward Elgar Cheltenham Northampton.
· Felsenthal Dan S. and Machover Moshé 2004 ‘Analysis of QM rules in the draft constitution for Europe proposed by the European Convention’ Social Choice and Welfare XXIII(1): 1-20.
· Foster Nigel G. and Sule Satish 2010 German Legal System and Laws (4th ed.) Oxford University Press New York.
· Garret Geoffrey and Tsebelis George 1999a ‘Why Resist the Temptation to Apply Power Indices to the European Union’ Journal of Theoretical Politics XI(3): 291-308.
· Garret Geoffrey and Tsebelis George 1999b ‘More Reasons to Resist the Temptation of Power Indices in the European Union’ Journal of Theoretical Politics XI(3): 331-338.
· Gunlicks Arthur 2003 The Länder and German federalism Manchester University Press Manchester.
· Kirsch Werner 2007 ‘On Penrose’s square-root law and beyond’ Homo Oeconomicus XXIV(3-4): 357-380.
· Kleinowski Marcin 2012 ‘Consensual Negotiations or Voting - Contestation of Legal Acts in the Council’ Studia Europejskie LXIV(4): 27-50.
· Lenaerts Koen 1991 ‘Some reflections on the separation of powers in the European Community’ Common Market Law Review XXVIII(1): 11-35.
· Lindner Ines 2008 ‘The power of a collectivity to act in weighted voting games with many small voters’ Social Choice and Welfare XXX(4): 581-601.
· Miller Vaughne and Taylor Claire 2008 ‘The Treaty of Lisbon: Amendments to the Treaty on European Union’ House of Commons Research Paper 09: 1-85.
· Neyer Jürgen 2010 ‘Europe's justice deficit: Justification and legitimacy in the EU’ in Neyer Jürgen and Wiener Antje (eds) Political theory of the European Union Oxford University Press Oxford 169-186.
· Penrose Lionel S. 1946 ‘The elementary statistics of majority voting’ Journal of the Royal Statistical Society 109: 53-57.
· Plechanovová Bela 2004 ‘Draft Constitution and the decision-making rule for the Council of Ministers of the EU - Looking for alternative solution’ European Integration online Papers (EIoP) VIII(12): 1-13.
· Pollack Mark A. and Shaffer Gregory C. 2008 ‘Risk regulation GMOs and the limits of deliberation’ in Naurin Daniel & Hellen Wallace (eds) Unveiling the Council of the European Union. Games governments play in Brussels Palgrave Macmillan Basingstoke 144-164.
· Protocol (No 36) on Transitional Provisions OJ 2012 C 326.
· Regulation (EU) No 1260/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 November 2013 on European demographic statistics OJ 2012 L 330.
· Roberts Geoffrey K. 2009 German politics today (2nd ed.) Oxford University Press Manchester.
· Rudzio Wolfgang 2015 Das politische System der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (9 Auflage) Springer VS Wiesbaden.
· Scharpf Fritz W. 1988 ‘The Joint-Decision Trap: Lessons from German Federalism and European Integration’ Public Administration LXVI(3): 239-278.
· Schmidt Manfred G 2016 Das politische System der Bundesrepublik Deutschland C.H. Beck München.
· Schmidt Vivien 2013 ‘Democracy and Legitimacy in the European Union Revisited: Input Output and ‘Throughput’ Political Studies LXI(1): 2-22.
· Schönberger Christoph 2009 ‘Lisbon in Karlsruhe: Maastricht's epigones at see’ German Law Journal X(08): 1201-1218.
· Schulz Martin 2014 Skrępowany olbrzym. Ostania szansa Europy Muza SA Warszawa originally published as Schulz Martin 2013 Der gefesselte Riese. Europas letzte Chance Rowohlt Verlag Berlin.
· Scientist for a Democratic Europe 2004 Letter to the governments of the EU member states Retrieved from http://www.esi2.us.es/~mbilbao/pdffiles/letter.pdf.
· Sharman Campbell ‘Political Legitimacy for an Appointed Senate’ IRPP Choices XIV(11): 2-24.
· Treaty on European Union (consolidated version) OJ 2012 C 326.
· Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (consolidated version) OJ 2012 C 326.
· Ziller Jacques 2008 ‘Separation of powers in the European Union's intertwined system of government - A treaty based analysis for the use of political scientists and constitutional lawyers’ Il Politico LXXIII(3): 133-179.
SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) 2018: 0.105 Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2018: 0.03
researchers, academics, practitioners interested in the field of political, economic and legal issues in federal states, regional organizations, and international organizations at global level