For the last forty years, the European Union has been pursuing the goal of a unified system of patent law, which would make it possible for an invention to be protected, by EU law, throughout the territory of the Member-States, with a single application. This would simplify the patent protection system, making it easier, less costly and more secure, and would facilitate access to the internal market and promote scientific and technological development. However, problems might arise because of the plurality of legal sources that could be involved and due to the fact that not all countries want to be part of this new system. Nevertheless, the involvement of the majority of the Member-States in the Unitary Patent Package, through participating in an international agreement and in using the EU’s enhanced cooperation mechanism, is evidence of federalist manifestations of the EU as a sui generis organisation.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
· Baldan Federica and Van Zimmeren Esther 2015 ‘The future role of the unified patent court in safeguarding coherence in the european patent system’ Common Market Law Review LII(6): 1529-1578.
· Borrel Joseph February 2015 ‘Is a Federal Europe Possible?” available at: https://www.thenewfederalist.eu/is-a-federal-europe-possible.
· Elazar Daniel 1979 ‘Options Problems and Possibilities in Light of the Current Situation’ in Elazar (ed) Self Rule - Shared Rule Turtledove Publishing Ramat Gan 1-13.
· Gonçalves Luís M. Couto 2015 Manual de direito industrial: propriedade industrial e concorrência desleal 6th ed. Almedina Coimbra.
· Gordon Richard and Pascoe Tom September 2016 ‘The effect of ‘BREXIT’ on the Unitary Patent Regulation and the Unified Patent Court Agreement’ available at http://www.bristowsupc.com/assets/files/counsel_s%20opinion%20on%20effect%20of%20brexit%20on%20upc%2012%20sept%202016.pdf.
· Hannan Daniel April 2014 ‘Plea against a Federal Europe’ available at: http://www.theeuropeanmagazine.com/daniel-hannan--2/8342-plea-against-a-federal-europe--2.
· Lamping Matthias October 2011 ‘Enhanced Cooperation - A Proper Approach to Market Integration in the Field of Unitary Patent Protection?’ published in 42 IIC 2011 879 1-58 available at SSRN: .
· Pescatore Pierre 1982 ‘Courts and Free Markets’ in Sandalow Terrance and Stein Eric (eds) Courts and Free Markets: Perspectives from the United States and Europe Clarendon Press Oxford Vol.1 ix-x.
· Silva Pedro Sousa e 2014 ‘O Tribunal Unificado de Patentes’ Revista de Direito Intelectual Nº2014-I: 243-257.
· Turchyn Jennifer 2016 ‘Improving Patent Quality Through Post-Grant Claim Amendments: A Comparison of European Opposition Proceedings and U.S. Post-Grant Proceedings’ Michigan Law Review CXIV: 1497-1530 available at http://repository.law.umich.edu/mlr/vol114/iss8/4.
· Vicente Dário Moura 2015 ‘Patente Unitária regime linguístico e jurisdição competente’ in Estudos de Direito Intelectual em homenagem ao Prof. Doutor José de Oliveira Ascensão Edições Almedina Coimbra 733-760.
· Xenos Dimitris 2013 ‘The European Unified Patent Court: Assessment and Implications of the Federalisation of the Patent System in Europe’ SCRIPTed - Journal of Law Technology & Society X(2): 246-277 available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2324123.
· Council of the EU Council Regulation (EC) No 6/2002 of 12 Dec. 2001 on Community designs O.J. 2002 L 3/1 referred to as “Regulation 6/2002”.
· Opinion 1/2009 of the Court (8 March 2011) EU:C 211/03 referred to as Opinion 1/09. · European Commission - “Press Release IP/11/269” Brussels (8 March 2011). Available in: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-11-269_en.htm?locale=en.
· Court of Justice of the European Union “Press Release No 17/11” Luxembourg (8 March 2011). Available in: http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/201103/cp110017en.pdf.
· European Parliament and Council Regulation (EU) 1257/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council of the EU of 17 Dec. 2012 implementing enhanced cooperation in the area of the creation of unitary patent protection O.J 2012 L361/1 referred to as “Regulation 1257/2012”.
· Council of the EU Council Regulation (EU) 1260/2012 of 17. Dec 2012 implementing enhanced cooperation in the area of creation of unitary patent protection with regard to the applicable translation arrangements O.J.2012 L 361/89 referred to as “Regulation 1260/2012”.
· Agreement on a Unified Patent Court O.J. 2013 C 175/1 referred to as “AUPC”.
· CJEU Case C- 146/13 Spain v. Parliament and Council 2015 EU:C:2015:298.
· CJEU Case C-147/13 Spain v. Council 2015 EU:C:2015:299.
· European Parliament and Council Regulation (EU) 2015/2424 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 Dec. 2015 amending Council Regulation (EC) No 207/2009 on the Community trade mark and Commission Regulation (EC) No 2868/95 implementing Council Regulation (EC) No 40/94 on the Community trade mark and repealing Commission Regulation (EC) No 2869/95 on the fees payable to the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (Trade Marks and Designs) O.J. 2015 L 341/21 referred to as “Regulation 2015/2424”.
SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) 2018: 0.105 Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2018: 0.03
researchers, academics, practitioners interested in the field of political, economic and legal issues in federal states, regional organizations, and international organizations at global level