Introduction. Numerous international and local organisations and agencies have in the past 15 years dealt with various issues and problems related to tourism in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Often, they have accentuated the large potential for tourism development and improvement, particularly when it comes to spa tourism. Although all elements necessary for development (tradition, accommodation capacities, natural resources, and traffic connections) are present, the “Banja Vrućica” spa is still unable to respond to modern tourism market demands so that it can contribute to the economic growth and development in the national and local economies. The successful running of a tourist destination requires the formulation of long-term goals and decisions, reached through a process of strategic management. The aim of this article is to use strategic analysis as a means of identifying the possibilities of introducing new sport-recreational offers with a higher quality of service provision aligned with consumer needs, which would help the Vrućica spa to become more attractive and profitable.
Material and methods. After selecting factors of the internal and external environment which influence sport tourism at the spa, the intensity of the impact of each factor was determined through the use of SWOT analysis. Then, by multiplying the average impact of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats matched in the SWOT Matrix, a polygon SWOT analysis of the strategy was carried out.
Conclusion. Having analysed the “Banja Vrućica” spa’s environment and having quantified the results, we reached the conclusion that the best solution is to form and implement a WO strategy with regard to sport tourism at the spa, meaning a shift in strategy aimed at keeping the existing activities and structures and developing new products and a new approach to the market.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. World Travel and Tourism Council. (2016). Travel and Tourism Economic Impact 2016 World. London: World Travel and Tourism Council.
2. Bošković T. Mihajlović M. (2016). Contemporary trends in the international tourism market. Škola biznisa 5(1) 121-126. DOI: 10.5937/skolbiz1-11733. [in Serbian]
3. Yildiz Z. Çekiç S. (2015). Sport tourism and its history and contribution of Olympic Games to touristic promotion. International Journal of Science Culture and Sport 3(3) 326-337. DOI: 10.14486/IJSCS394.
4. Kazandzhieva V. (2014). Trends in the development of spa and wellness tourism. In International Tourism Forum “Spa and Wine” 16-20 October 2014 (pp. 1-8). Sandanski Bulgaria: Tourism Department of SWU “Neofit Rilski”.
5. Arnaut E. Petković D. (2012). Impact of tourism on the macroeconomic stability and economic development of Bosnia and Herzegovina. In The first scientific-expert conference “The development of competent human resources for tourism in the region” (pp. 446-460). Jahorina Bosnia and Herzegovina: Faculty of Economics University of East Sara-jevo. [in Serbian]
6. Erdeli G. Dincăa A.I. Gheorghilaşa A. Surugiu C. (2011). Romanian spa tourism: A communist paradigm in a post-communist era. Human Geographies 5(2) 41-56. DOI: 10.5719/hgeo.2011.52.41.
7. Global Wellness Institute. (2017). Global wellness economy monitor. Miami FL: Global Wellness InstituteTM.
8. Travar D. (2012). Tourism Development Strategy in the Republic of Srpska. Master’s thesis Singidunum University Belgrade. [in Serbian]
9. Knežević M. Šaula M. Dujaković T. (2014). Importance of health tourism of the Republic of Srpska for tourism development in the region. Poslovne studije 6(11-12) 133-155. [in Serbian]
10. The Foreign Trade Chamber of Bosnia and Herzegovina. (2011). Export strategy for the tourism sector. Retrieved February 7 2016 from http://www. http://komorabih.ba/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/bhepa-izvozna-strategijaza-sektora-turizma.pdf. [in Serbian]
11. Segić S. (2011). The development of health spa and recreational tourism in the Republic of Srpska as an opportunity for foreign investors. Časopis za ekonomiju i tržišne komunikacije 1(2) 189-200. [in Serbian]
12. Kurtzman J. Zauhar J. (2005). The emerging profession: Sport tourism management. Journal of Sport Tourism 10(1) 3-14.
13. Zauhar J. (2003). Historical perspectives of sport tourism. In S. Hudson (ed.) Sport and adventure tourism (pp. 27-48). Binghampton NY: Haworth Hospitality Press.
14. Schwark J. (2007). Sport tourism: Introduction and overview. European Journal for Sport and Society 4(2) 117-132.
15. Hodeck A. Hovemann G. (2015). Destination choice in German winter sport tourism: Empirical findings. Polish Journal of Sport and Tourism 22(2) 114-117. DOI: 10.1515/pjst-2015-0019.
16. Derbăcea-Bolovan M. (2013). Sports tourism leisure method. Annals of the “Constantin Brâncuşi” 5 103-109.
17. Ottevanger H-J. (2007). Sports tourism: Factors of influence on sport event visit motivation. Master’s thesis Bournemouth University Dorset.
18. Weed M. Bull C. (2004). Sport tourism: Participants policy and providers. Burlington VT: Elsevier Publishing.
19. Coulter M.A. (2013). Strategic management in action. Boston MA: Pearson.
20. Australian Sports Commission. (2004). Planning in sport: A good practice guide for sporting organizations. Retrieved August 17 2007 from http://www.ausport.gov.au.
21. Bayle E. Duncan E. Chappelet J-L. Kartakoullis N. (2007). Managing strategically. In J. Camy L. Robinson (eds) Managing Olympic sport organizations (pp. 61-106). Lausanne Switzerland: Olympic solidarity.
22. Chelladurai P. (2014). Managing organizations for sport and physical activity: A system perspective. Scottsdale AZ: Holcomb Hathaway Publishers.
23. Hoye R. Smith A. Nicholson M. Stewart B. Westerbeek H. (2009). Sport management: Principles and applications. Burlington MA: Elsevier.
24. Lussier R.N. Kimball D.C. (2014). Applied sport management skills. Champaign IL: Human Kinetics.
25. Džeko Š. Vukoja B. (2012). Tourism as a factor of the economic development of Bosnia and Herzegovina. In The first scientific-expert conference “The development of competent human resources for tourism in the region” (pp. 546-558). Jahorina Bosnia and Herzegovina: Faculty of Economics University of East Sarajevo. [in Serbian]
26. Commonwealth Department of Industry Science and Resources. (2000). Towards a national sports tourism strategy. Retrieved Januray 11 2016 from http://www.tourism.gov.au.
27. Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance. (2012). Grande Prairie sport tourism strategy. Retrieved Januray 13 2016 from http://www.gpsportcouncil.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Sport-Tourism-Strategy.pdf.
28. Beech J. Chadwick S. (2013). The business of sport management. London: Pearson Education.
29. Dess G.G. McNamara G. Eisner A.B. (2015). Strategic management: Text and cases. New York: McGraw-Hill Education.
30. Dulčić Ž. (2005). Structure of the environment. In M. Buble (ed.) Strategic management (pp. 17-46). Zagreb Croatia: Sinergija. [in Croatian]
31. David Fr.R. David Fo.R. (2015). Strategic management: Concept and cases. Upper Saddle River NJ: Pearson Education Inc.
32. Koontz H. Weihrich H. (2010). Essentials of management. New Delhi India: Tata McGraw Hill Education.
33. Pearce J.A. Robinson R.B.Jr. (2015). Strategic management: Formulation implementation and control. New York: McGraw Hill.
34. Milinković Z. (2016). Strategic management of the development of the sports and health tourism centre “Banja Vrućica”. Master’s thesis University of Banja Luka Banja Luka. [in Serbian]
35. Crnogorac Č. Babić V. (2003). Economic aspects of the mountainous tourist area of the Teslić municipality. Turizam 7 52-54. [in Serbian]
36. Gibson H.J. (2004). Moving beyond the “what is and who” of sport tourism to understanding “why”. Journal of Sport Tourism 9(3) 247-265.
37. Banja Vrućica Health Tourism Centre. (2017). Retrieved February 27 2017 from http://www.banja-vrucica.com. [in Serbian]
38. Sikavica P. Bahtijarević-Šiber F. Pološki Vokić N. (2008). Funadmentals of managment. Zagreb Croatia: Školska knjiga. [in Croatian]
39. Škorić S. Bartoluci M. (2010). The importance of sports recreation experts in tourism. In 19th Summer School of Croatian Kinesiologists 22-26 October 2010 (pp. 569-574). Poreč Croatia: Croatian Kinesiology Association. [in Croatian]
40. Hinch T. Higham J. Sant S-L. (2014). Taking stock of sport tourism research. In A.A. Lew C.M. Hall A.M. Williams (eds) The Wiley Blackwell Companion to Tourism (pp. 413-424). Oxford: John Wiley & Sons.
41. Rajak B. (2014). Sport and recreational elements in tourism development with special emphasis on the territory of Montenegro. Master’s thesis Singidunum University Belgrade. [in Serbian]