Introduction. The paper discusses the issue of vocational skills amongst students of university studies in tourism and recreation at the Josef Pilsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport in Biała Podlaska. The objective of the research, whose results are presented in the current paper, was to diagnose the results of studies at undergraduate and postgraduate level in relation to their knowledge, skills and social competencies. Material and methods. Research was carried out in June 2012 by means of a diagnostic poll using the random survey technique. The survey encompassed students graduating from undergraduate and graduate programmes (N=199). Results. Analyses indicated that students of both programmes evaluate their knowledge and skills acquired in the course of studies as low. On the other hand, students evaluated their social competencies, in particular those connected with the university's profile, as high. According to respondents' declarations, the level of knowledge, skills and other competencies acquired in the course of undergraduate and graduate studies does not fully meet respondents' requirements.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. The European Parliament. (2008). Recommendations as regards the development of the European Qualifications Framework for life-long learning. Brussels: Official Journal of the EU C 111/1. [in Polish]
2. Chmielecka E. (2009). From the European to the National Qualifications Framework. Warsaw: Fundacja “Fundusz Współpracy”. [in Polish]
3. Kulińska J. (2012). The National Qualifications Framework - what they are and why they must exist. Warsaw: Instytut Certyfikacji Kompetencji Zawodowych VCC. [in Polish]
4. The Minister of Science and Higher Education. (2011). The regulation on the National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education. Warsaw: Journal of Laws No. 253, item 1520. [in Polish]
5. Krasniewski A. (2011). Preparation of a curriculum in accordance with the requirements of the National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education. Warsaw: MNiSW. [in Polish]
6. The European Qualifications Framework for life-long learning (EQF). (2009). Luxembourg: The Publications Office of the European Union. [in Polish]
7. University's autonomy. The Qualifications Framework for Higher Education. (2010). Warsaw: MNiSW [in Polish]
8. Research report from the 2nd edition of A University - being friendly towards employers project. (2012). Warsaw: IPiSP [in Polish]
9. Buchta K., Skiert M. (2008). Assessment of professional qualifications and educational plans by tourism and recreation graduates. Polish Journal of Sport and Tourism, 15(1-2), 69-76.
10. Skiert M., Buchta K. (2012). Own business enterprise in the professional plans of tourism and recreation students. Polish Journal of Sport and Tourism, 19(1), 58-67.
11. Skiert M., Buchta K. (2012). The quality and results of education in tourism and recreation from the students' perspective. In M. Morawski (Ed.), Knowledge management in tourism vs. the effectiveness of tourism (pp. 195-211). Wrocław: AWF Wrocław. [in Polish]
12. Skiert M. (2012). Foreign language proficiency as an element of tourism and recreation students' professional training. In M. Jalinik, R. Ziółkowski (Eds.), Tourist services market (pp. 405-419). Białystok: Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Białostockiej. [in Polish]