Introduction. When assessing the effectiveness of hospital management through measures of patient satisfaction, it is possible to go beyond the frameworks of the social efficiency assessment, obtaining generalized assessments of an institution. They are based on the answers to the question if patients would be willing to recommend the institution to a member of the family or a friend. Next point is establishing correlation relationships between these assessments and other measures of effectiveness, for example the value of contracts concluded with the National Health Fund (NFZ).
Aim. The aim of the article is to determine the usefulness of the patient satisfaction survey as a method enabling the assessment of the management efficiency of a given medical facility in terms of the selected parameters.
Material and methods. The source of the research material are the reports on the patient satisfaction assessments carried out among the patients of the Provincial Specialist Hospital in Biała Podlaska in the years 2008-2013. It was hypothesized that the higher the value of the contract with the NFZ, the greater patients’ satisfaction expressed in their generalized assessments in the given years and, on the contrary, the more positively assessed by patients hospital, among other things due to the quality of the health services, the higher the value of contracts concluded with the NFZ by the given institution. At the same time, on the basis of the data from 2013, it was decided to check whether the opinions expressed by the patients are characterized by objectivism or whether they may be dependent on the hospital ward where the satisfaction survey was carried out - for this purpose the Chi-square independence test was used. The necessary calculations as the part of the statistical analysis were made using the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
Results and discussion. The results of the research are a part of the general trend of patient satisfaction surveys, considered as an important source of information on the level of medical services.
Conclusions. The patient satisfaction survey can be considered as a method which enables the assessment of the management efficiency of a given medical facility in terms of the selected parameters.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Wrona B. Regulatory activity of the state in the sphere of financing health care. Zesz Nauk Pol Towarzystw Ekon. 2011;11:379-95.
2. Golinowska S. et al. Financial balance and efficiency in the Polish health-care system: Problems and challenges. Cracow: University Medical Publishing House Vesalius; 2012.
3. Witczak I. Hospital economics: Conditions elements principles. Warsaw: Wydawnictwa Fachowe Ce.De.Wu.PL; 2009.
4. Ksykiewicz-Dorota A. Management in nursing. Lublin: Czelej Publishing House; 2005.
5. Nowicki P Sikora T. Factors shaping the customer satisfaction and the benefits of measuring customer satisfaction in the process of quality improvement. In: T. Sikora (ed). Quality management – Improvement of the organization vol. 1. Cracow: Publishing House of the University of Economics in Krakow; 2010. p.202-13.
6. Regulation of the Minister of Health of November 10th 2006 on the requirements that should be met in terms of professional and sanitary premises and facilities of the healthcare facility. Journal of Laws No. 213 item 1568 as amended.
7. Maksimowicz-Ajchel M. Introduction to statistics: Methods of statistical description. Warsaw: Publishers of the University of Warsaw; 2007.
8. Małecka B Marcinkowski JT. The satisfaction of the patient a factor shaping the contemporary market of medical services. Probl Hig Epidemiol. 2007;88(1):17-9.
9. Maciąg A Sakowska I. The role and rights of the patient in the area of the quality of health services. Studies and materials of the faculty of management at the University of Warsaw. 2006;1:50-62.
10. Abrahamsen-Grøndahl V. Patient ‘s perceptions of actual care and patient satisfaction. Karlstad: Karlstad University Studies; 2012.
11. Ilioudi S Lazakidou A Tsironi M. Importance of patient satisfaction measurement and electronic surveys: methodology and potential benefits. IJHRI. 2013;1(1):67-87.
12. Krakowiak J Marjański A. Introduction. In: J. Krakowiak A. Marjański. The assessment and behavior of healthcare service providers. Problems of organization and management in health care. 2010;11(7):5-7.