Proper oral hygiene is a basis for preventing dental caries and periodontal diseases. The most popular method of mechanical plaque removal is brushing teeth using manual and powered toothbrushes. The review of literature shows that removal of dental calculus using the powered toothbrushes is more effective, what is supported by greater reduction of plaque and symptoms characteristic for soft tissue inflammation. It needs to be underlined that the effectiveness of tooth brushing, regardless of the kind of toothbrush, to a great extent depends on the frequency and technique of brushing, on the time devoted to this hygienic procedure, and on the type of toothbrush bristles.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ash MM Githin BN Smith WA. Correlation between plaque and gingivitis. J Periodontol. 1964;35:424-9.
2. Fejerskov O Manji F. Risk assessment in dental caries. In: JD Bader (ed). Risk assessment in dentistry. Chapel Hill NC: University of North Carolina Dental Ecology 1990;215-7.
3. Loe H Theilade E. Jensen SB. Experimental gingivitis in man. J Periodontol. 1965;36:177-87.
4. Wilder RS Bray KS. Improving periodontal outcomes: merging clinical and behavioral science. Periodontology. 2000;71(1):65-81.
5. Claydon NC. Current concepts in toothbrushing and interdental cleaning. Periodontology. 2000:48(2008);10-22.
6. Sgan-Cohen HD. Oral hygiene: past history and future recommendations. Int J Dent Hyg. 2005;3(2):54-8.
7. Westfelt E. Rationale of mechanical plaque control. J Clin Periodontol. 1996;23(3 Pt 2):263267.
8. Twetman S Axelsson S Dahlgren H et al. Caries-preventive effect of fluoride toothpaste: a systematic review. Acta Odontol Scand. 2003;61(6):347-55.
9. Marinho VCC Higgins JPT Logan S Sheiham A. Fluoride mouthrinses for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 3. 2003;1. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD002284].
10. Marinho VCC Higgins JPT Sheiham A Logan S. Combinations of topical fluoride (toothpastes mouthrinses gels varnishes) versus single topical fluoride for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database of Systematic Rev. 2004;1: CD002781. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD002781.pub2
11. Kumar JV. Oral hygiene Aids. In: S. S. Hiremath (ed). Textbook of preventive and community dentistry. 2nd ed. Elsevier. 2011:412-27.
12. Sripriya N Shaik Hyder Ali KH. A comparative study of the efficacy of four different bristle designs of tooth brushes in plaque removal. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2007;25:76-81.
13. Yaacob M Worthington HV Deacon SA et al. Powered versus manual toothbrushing for oral health. Cochrane Database of Systematic Rev. 2014;6: CD002281. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD002281.pub3.
14. Klukowska M Sharma N Qaqish J et al. Gingivitis reduction from a power brush with a novel brush head (Oral-B® Precision CleanTM). J Dent Res. 2010;89:3695.
15. Klukowska M Render JM Timm H. A single-brushing study to compare plaque removal efficacy of a new power brush to an ADA reference manual toothbrush. Am J Dent. 2012;25(Special Issue A):1A-32A.
16. Kulkarni P Kumar Singh D Jalaluddin M. Comparison of efficacy of manual and powered toothbrushes in plaque control and gingival inflammation: A clinical study among the population of East Indian Region. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2017;7(4):168-74.
17. Sharma NC Qaqish J Klukowska M et al. The plaque removal efficacy of a novel power brush head. J Clin Dent. 2011;22(1):19-22.
18. Barnes CM Weatherford TW 3rd Menaker L. A comparison of the Braun Oral-B Plaque Remover (D5) electric and a manual toothbrush in affecting gingivitis. J Clin Dent. 1993;4(2):48-51.
19. Ganss C Duran R Winterfeld T et al. Tooth brushing motion patterns with manual and powered toothbrushes –a randomised video observation study. Clin Oral Invest. 2017. DOI:10.1007/s00784-017-2146-7.